UK heat pumps

https://www.bbc.com/news/58160547
Housing accounts for about 14% of the UK’s greenhouse-gas emissions, mostly because of gas-boiler heating systems and poor insulation, the CCC [Committee on Climate Change] says. The government has committed to installing 600,000 heat pumps a year by 2028. These transfer heat from the ground, air or water around a property into its heating system, and start at £6,000.

About 35,000 were installed in the UK in 2019 - by comparison, about 1.7 million gas boilers are sold in the UK each year. There are 23.5 million gas boilers in the UK. Grants of £5,000 are available for homeowners to install a heat pump. The government has allocated £450m for this over three years, which would be enough for 90,000 grants of £5,000 (if you ignore administration costs).

Environmental groups have questioned how the government will meet its 600,000 target.

DB2
35K/23.5million = 0.1% per year

1 Like

“Housing accounts for about 14% of the UK’s greenhouse-gas emissions, mostly because of gas-boiler heating systems and poor insulation, the CCC [Committee on Climate Change] says. The government has committed to installing 600,000 heat pumps a year by 2028. These transfer heat from the ground, air or water around a property into its heating system, and start at £6,000.”

I’ve had two heat pumps in different houses.

One in central VA…where it gets to zero and maybe a few degrees below…back in the 1980s…had it for 7 years before I moved. Both a/c and heat…and it had resistance heat that kicked on after the temp dropped below about 30F. Air to air heat pump. It failed after five years and cost a bundle back then to fix the ‘transfer valve’. Of course, compressors typically last about 10 years if you’re lucky and they cost big $$$$. (1970 to 1983)

Had a second one from 1983 to 1990 in northern VA (NOVA). Gets down to zero F there. Combined heating/ac with air to air heat pump. Lasted five years before the ‘transfer valve’ crapped out and big $$ repair. Moved after 7 years. It had resistance heat that kicked on below about 35F or so…and gobbled energy big time at that point. A few times a year…got down below zero.

In both cases, heat was ‘luke warm’ at best.

Now…I have a gas furnace in TX…was cheap gas prices here in 1990…now going up a bit. A/C unit separate but uses same ‘air handler’ system. First furnace lasted 25 years with no failures. First a/c compressor crapped out after about 14 years. Replaced. After 22 years replaced both systems with higher SEER.

DO I want heat pump? no… the ne ones likely better but you are better off spending you money on better insulation in your house and better design. Likely better to change out windows to super efficient ones…maybe even triple pane ones.

(note - if you want to reduce your temp while away during the day - and have it warm up for your arrival after work…duh…a heat pump takes forever to change the temp inside by 8 or 10 degrees…when it is 20F outside…)…

Like my gas furnace…don’t like the increasing gas bills…but that may go back to normal if we stop exporting so much NG…

t.

I’ve had two heat pumps in different houses.

I hear, repeatedly, about the short lifespan of heat pumps. Why are they not more durable? Is it a matter of, somehow, all the engineering genius in the world being defeated by a valve? Or is it a matter of people buying the cheapest one on the market, and getting what they paid for?

I have seen a number of apartments and motels with heat pumps, in Michigan. If the economics of heat pumps are so bad, why do the companies that own the apartments and motels buy them?

Steve

1 Like

Interesting question. AC units run 4 or 5 months per year; heat pumps run all year.

Service life might be similar either way in months of operation.

That implies heat pumps are under engineered for the intended service.

1 Like

Interesting question. AC units run 4 or 5 months per year; heat pumps run all year.

Depends on the location. Here in Michigan, my a/c runs 2-3 months/year, as I tend to open the windows if peak daytime temp is no higher than the low 80s, and my gas forced air furnace runs 7 months, with varying vigor, as outside temps vary from 60 degrees in October and April, to subzero in January and February.

A few years ago, I replaced my 20 year old furnace and 35 year old a/c, in one shot, for something like $8,000.

That implies heat pumps are under engineered for the intended service.

Or, the manufacturers are responding to demand, at the consumer level, for cheaper, Cheaper, CHEAPER. When I got the new HVAC system a few years ago, the company, repeatedly, quoted the cheapest possible equipment: lowest possible SEER rated a/c and 80% efficient furnace. They were even pushing the cheaper brand, rather than the Bryant that I asked for. I also had to demand higher efficiency equipment. Buying the more efficient equipment was a no-brainer, because rebates from my utility company offset the upcharge for the more efficient equipment.

Steve

…is it a matter of people buying the cheapest one on the market,…

Having worked for and with contractors in the past the builders grade is usually only has to meet the local building codes and last through any written or implied warranty period. After the warranty is up it is the new owners problem. Sad, but more common than you would think.

OTFoolish

My last house had two heat pumps. The first lasted 21 years, and when we moved it had lasted another 23. I had to replace the condenser for the fan motor twice at about $300 per.

The second unit was put in by the owner before us for a largish addition. After 25 years in the house it was still doing fine when we left. We’ve been out of that house 3 years now but know the new owners, and they have not had any issues yet.

This is in Tennessee, where the A/C runs all day for six month of the year, and the heat runs intermittently but regularly through December, January, February, and some of March.

1 Like

My last house had two heat pumps. The first lasted 21 years, and when we moved it had lasted another 23. I had to replace the condenser for the fan motor twice at about $300 per.

Errata: I said “condenser”. That should have been “capacitor”.

My last house had two heat pumps. The first lasted 21 years, and when we moved it had lasted another 23. I had to replace the capacitor for the fan motor twice at about $300 per.

Having worked for and with contractors in the past the builders grade is usually only has to meet the local building codes and last through any written or implied warranty period. After the warranty is up it is the new owners problem. Sad, but more common than you would think.

My uncle bought a new-build condo in Columbus, Ohio in 1999. They had to replace the furnace and windows within 10 years.

Steve

1 Like