what is a proxy card?

I am being asked to produce one (for a benefit offered by the company to shareholders). That, or a brokerage statement. I can do the latter, but that is more info than they need. I get email proxy votes (in fact, I have one today). But what is the proxy card? When I looked it up, I don’t get a clear answer. In fact, the first answer isn’t even financial in nature. If I could produce that, it would be better than the brokerage statement.

1poorguy

1 Like

I am being asked to produce one (for a benefit offered by the company to shareholders).

I would suggest asking investor relations at the company what will be accepted as a proxy card. I would suggest that a screen shot of something from the electronic voting site would probably be acceptable, but the question is - what would they want to see from the electronic voting site? Since it’s the company that’s asking for it to give you a benefit, they are the ultimate arbiter of what is acceptable, not random posters on the internet.

AJ

2 Likes

They make it difficult to contact. No direct phone number. I figured a “proxy card” was a thing that I just didn’t know about. I guess I’ll have to call them and wind my way through their phone system until I can get an answer.

They make it difficult to contact. No direct phone number. I figured a “proxy card” was a thing that I just didn’t know about. I guess I’ll have to call them and wind my way through their phone system until I can get an answer.

Do they provide an e-mail address?

AJ

Sometimes a proxy card is NOT from the company but from some group seeking to make changes to the company via rules and votes.

If you get a blue proxy card, it’s not from the company!

A group, take over artist, etc, might try to gather enough ‘votes’ to implement a change, whether good or bad for the rest of investors, via a proxy vote. If they get enough votes (Proxy cards) representing enough shares, they can go to management and demand something.

t

5 Likes

Yes, Exxon went through this last year when three outside directors were elected to the board. We received proxy packages from both the company and the outsiders and had to decide which to accept.

I was surprised that the Exxon situation received so little discussion on CNBC or on these boards. It was largely a personal decision. Whose claims do you believe?

Yes. I inquired. Let’s see how long it takes to get back to me. Email is great for a written record, but sometimes a phone call is a lot faster.

1pg

P.S. Glad to see you on the Discord. Hopefully that will be TMF 2.0, or a reasonable facsimile thereof.