What's cool to Gen Z

I found this studying intriguing for investing.

https://storage.googleapis.com/think/docs/its-lit.pdf
Go to page 9

Some highlights (coolness)

• YouTube, Netflix, Google rank 1,2,3 respectively
  • Oreo is #4?!
  • followed by PlayStation Xbox GoPro
  • Snapchat > instgram > twitter > Facebook
  • Nike > UA
  • Apple ~ Amazon > Samsung

There’s many more consumer brands/labels in the PDF. One problem I think is that their taste can change drastically in a short period of time.

Enjoy.

Cheers,
nomb

4 Likes

Also, 42.2% use Google+

under section:
% OF GEN Z ON EACH PLATFORM
near:
SOCIAL MEDIA USAGE BY GENDER
Source: Google/YouGov web-based, U.S., PollingPoint panel: n=1,100 respondents age 13-17, June 2016

Is that because of using YouTube? I read this report done by Google earlier and was trying to determine how good the data/findings were.

1 Like

- Oreo is #4?!

They are nice but a deadly poison that feeds the obesity epidemic. The list of diseases related to insulin resistance that can be reversed – starting with type II diabetes – is staggering. These diseases are part of what makes American healthcare so expensive and also a great source of investing ideas.

I’m speaking not just from research but from personal experience. Having lost over 45 pounds (30% of my normal body mass), last week’s blood test showed that my type II diabetes has disappeared despite not using diabetes medication for the past three months. The weight loss was painless, all it took was a healthy diet and some exercise, mostly walking.

Stay cool, stay healthy!

Denny Schlesinger

LONG NVO: diabetes, hemophilia, etc.

List of diseases related to insulin resistance
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q…

26 Likes

Hey hey hey, my type of thread. I’m a member of the millenials (currently a 19 year old college freshman), but I know a lot of Gen Z as well. Just thought my input might be valuable and please feel free to ask me whats cool/whats not. And please forgive me because I already know I’m going to ramble a lot in this post.

I agree with a lot of this study, a lot of it nails it. This quote is by far my favorite of the whole article.

“Snapchat, and Instagram are the coolest platforms.
Facebook is still a daily habit for most teens for consumption
and stalking, but they rarely post and it’s not seen as cool”

I remember when I was 13-14 facebook was the coolest, everyone lied about their age because at that point you needed to be a certain age (I forget exact age) to create an account. But as more and more parents joined, it became less cool. Today, I’m talking to young people who don’t even have Facebooks, although I believe everyone eventually has to get one because it’s vital for communication in a lot of groups/clubs/etc.

Here is what my facebook feed looks like today.

The first thing is a meme: “Tag a friend who is working so you can begin their vicious cycle of procrastination.”
The second post is “Tag a friend who likes food.”
Both of these posts go along with an image or video that’s amusing/relatable to Gen Z.
This is literally 95% of my feed. It’s really stupid, I know, but I still tag my friends in it.
Long gone are the days where Gen Z actually posts in facebook. We check it every day, and we 100% use it to cyber-stalk people, and maybe we post a new profile picture/cover photo once every 3 months, but that’s about it.

Instagram is definitely cool, but most people don’t post a lot as you really want to get a lot of likes on your posts so you wait until you have a really cool photo. That being said, I still check it every day, as do most of my friends.

Snapchat is definitely the coolest platform of the 3. Whereas the social teen might check facebook/instagram 1-3 times a day, really social teens will - no joke - “snap” people 50-100 times a day. Basically you start conversations consisting of selfies and it is considered rude not to respond. There is very little content to each selfie but it doesn’t really matter.

Snapchat is the coolest platform, I should Invest in that!
-Well, maybe, however I use snapchat a lot but I hardly ever see any ads/ways of generating revenue. As far as I can tell, all of Snapchats revenue comes from looking at people’s stories (stories are basically selfies ALL of your friends can see). Stories are much less used than personal snaps, and when I might check snapchat 50 times a day, I only check the stories section once. I’m not quite sure how snapchat can add more ways of putting ads in without irritating all of Gen Z (think about if you had to look at an add every time you sent a text).

Other Thoughts:
Nike is def cooler than UA, it just is, always has been. That being said the gap between Nike and UA is probably less than UA and the other companies (Reebok, Adidas, Sketchers).

Apple is cooler than Samsung for sure. There’s actually a significant amount of peer pressure for everyone to have iPhones as you can only iMessage people with other iPhones. For those who don’t know iMessage is a blue text that uses data/wifi instead of cell service to send messages, it’s a lot faster and cooler and better haha. But anyways a lot of times we give each other flak if someone doesn’t have an iPhone, saying stuff like “oh my god this green text wants to make me throw up.” Take that as you will, but there is definitely pressure between teens to get iPhones.

Video games are still cool as well. Although somehow they missed the most popular video game, League of Legends, not sure how they missed that one it is by far the most popular video game in the world.

YouTube: Cool, it wasn’t biased by Google running this survey, YouTube is really cool to Gen Z. My mom always says back in my day we had to go to the library to learn things, now you guys have the internet. Well YouTube is almost the next iteration of that idea. Now instead of googling things, if you don’t know how to do something you go to YouTube and type “insert what you want to learn tutorial” and a video tutorial comes up showing you how to do it. *Side note parents when you ask your kid to fix your computer 50% of the time they just look up a tutorial on YouTube, we don’t know everything either we just know how to follow tutorials on YouTube.

Hopefully this information was helpful to somebody, or at least interesting. For me, my investing takeaways are.

1. I don’t personally want to invest in Facebook because I think it’s losing what made it popular 5 years ago, I think there’s a chance young people start to go further away from that platform, and I’m not sure Instagram can pick up the slack.
  2. I don’t want to invest in Snap because I use it but I can’t think of many meaningful ways they could increase revenue without irritating me when I try to use it.
61 Likes

Is that because of using YouTube? I read this report done by Google earlier and was trying to determine how good the data/findings were.

Yes, nobody actually uses Google+ other than to log onto youtube.

3 Likes

Having lost over 45 pounds (30% of my normal body mass), last week’s blood test showed that my type II diabetes has disappeared despite not using diabetes medication for the past three months.

Congrats, Denny, that’s fantastic!

Keep it up.

2 Likes

Having lost over 45 pounds (30% of my normal body mass)…

You are normally 150 lbs. and dropped to 105 lbs.? That sounds like it was put you at a seriously malnourished level. I must be misunderstanding.

-IGU-

1 Like

I must be misunderstanding.

Yes, you are. I’m down to 70 Kgs (155 lbs) from 90 Kgs (200 lbs). In my early 20s I used to weigh around 70 Kgs at 5’ 10".

Denny Schlesinger

Capt. Denny, you are reminding me that I have to get off my (moderately) fat you-know-what, and walk instead of posting too much here. I’d like to lose about 20 lb. It used to be only 10 lb.

But for now, I’m writing here instead of walking.

As far as the Millennial Index, my first problem is that “millennium” is one of the very few words I have a hard time spelling. Usually I can remember how to spell a hard word the next time, but not this one, with it’s doubled double letters. I blame it on the Mazda Millenia. And on The Newmannium, a celebration mentioned on “Seinfeld” once. (Who knows if I spelled Newmannium right, but my spelling does agree with Wikipedia’s.)

brennanadler, where are you getting investment money? Are you using much leverage at your tender age? Or is it vicarious for now, and you’re planning ahead 10 years? Nike is cooler than Under Armour? I wish you had told me that before I bought some UAA at $30 not that long ago! I could have bought more NKE instead. Either is better than a massive Oreo purchase, though. (I had been seeing so many UA products everywhere and on everybody that I thought I’d join the crowd for a change.)

What about a stock I think is supposed to be millennial, American Eagle Outfitters (AEO)? They seem to be one of the most promising brick and mortar retailers as far as in-store traffic and future earnings growth. Maybe a combination of turn-around and return to growth. (The Buckle also seems millennial, but they’re hurting a lot more.)

And what about Ulta? Lots of growth left, or is it too late? Is it millennial? That would be my guess.

TJ Maxx (TJX)? Ross Stores (ROST)?

Google, Amazon, and Apple are obvious. I think Facebook still has quite a runway left. I’m agnostic/somewhat skeptical about Snapchat.

Millennials!

My 13 year old girl thinks that Apple is evil and the Microsoft is the cool upstart. Unbelievable!

There is no upside is picking the minds of the young (except if you want to sell product to the young). the rest of us it is trying to understand the hows and whys of what dogs do in group settings together and why, it just makes no sense at all!

My kids are both “less” materialistic, and simultaneously more demanding of daddy’s money to buy something. An ugly bit of entitlement mentality I think…maybe they will be drawn to company’s that foster entitlement…except any such companies are no phone and don’t cost that much. So they are likely to like just the opposite, despite being down with the man, and anti-materialistic, and what the not.

Tinker

4 Likes

TJ Maxx (TJX)? Ross Stores (ROST)?

Off-price is never out of fashion because there are more poor than rich. Some investors prefer TJX over ROST in the mistaken belief that it’s better because it’s a bit more up scale - nicer stores. That’s precisely why ROST outperforms TXJ.

While I was in California I used to buy Oxford cloth button down shirts at Dress for Less Ross Stores. They put them on a table and you have to hunt through them to find the right combination of color, collar, sleeve length, and waist cut. Maybe you find two or three and come back later or go to another of their stores to buy some more. They promote the Easter egg hunt atmosphere and it’s working. Somehow you don’t get the same feeling of having saved a lot when you select from neatly ordered overflowing stacks of stuff.

Denny Schlesinger

There is no upside is picking the minds of the young (except if you want to sell product to the young). the rest of us it is trying to understand the hows and whys of what dogs do in group settings together and why, it just makes no sense at all!

This is very insightful, Tinker! It also applies much more broadly, not just to the young, but to the general population.

Pete

1 Like

where are you getting investment money? Are you using much leverage at your tender age?

When I was 12 years old I was given a brokerage account with $100 dollars in it. I add to it whenever I can with Birthday Money, Summer Jobs, etc. That plus capital gains since 2009/2010 has given me what I believe a fairly large portfolio for someone my age; however, obviously it’s peanuts compared to what a lot of people here invest with. I learned about compound interest though so it doesn’t really matter how much I started with as just starting years early makes a massive difference. I also read somewhere that the biggest tip for accruing wealth isn’t increasing income, it’s cutting costs. I hardly spend any money and the majority of what I make goes into my brokerage account. No I don’t use leverage, I would consider it for sure but to be honest I think at some point in the relatively soon future the market is going to pullback soon with Trump as our President for no other reason than I don’t really trust him. I’m staying fully invested but I’m not going to invest on the margin right now, especially as I’m already investing somewhat riskily with regards to investing in high growth companies.

Nike is cooler than Under Armour?

Yah, I like to think of it this way. I wear both brands to the gym, but I’m really only ever going to wear Under Armor at a gym, whereas Nike I will wear around during the day. UA’s products really are mostly worn just to the gym, they’re kinda plain. That’s just my opinion. Also, did I mention Nike kills the shoe game, nobody is even close to having style as it relates to footwear, miles ahead.

What about a stock I think is supposed to be millennial, American Eagle Outfitters (AEO)?

Sorry, can’t help with non-athletic clothing stores, I don’t really buy too many clothes and I’m not stylish, I’m just not.

And what about Ulta? Lots of growth left, or is it too late?

I’m a guy so I don’t use makeup. That being said, my sister does, and she has an insane amount of it. I’m considering investing in ULTA for sure. The thing I see as the biggest driver of this is how social media is really governed by photos. Everyone wants to feel liked/get a lot of likes/look good in their photos. I definitely see the makeup space outperforming in the long run, my question is, is that already factored into ULTA’s stock right now? They seem fairly expensive but it’s probably worth the extra few bucks. Also, I have no idea comparing different makeup stores. I know my sister usually shops at Sephora so I would invest in that but I believe it’s private if I’m not mistaken.

20 Likes

I wear both brands to the gym, but I’m really only ever going to wear Under Armor at a gym, whereas Nike I will wear around during the day. UA’s products really are mostly worn just to the gym, they’re kinda plain. That’s just my opinion. Also, did I mention Nike kills the shoe game, nobody is even close to having style as it relates to footwear, miles ahead.

Personally, I don’t think I have any Nike products, unless I have a decade or two old Nike t-shirt.

When I work my day job, police officer, less than 12 months to go, I wear the following UA products.

I wear UA tactical boots, with a side zipper. They are super light and comfortable.

I wear UA skivvies most days.

I wear UA compression T-shirts under my vest. In the old days, with cotton t-shirts, during the hot summer months, I’d get a small heat rash on my back due to sweating so much under my vest. Once I switched to UA t-shirts, no more rash.

I also wear UA socks, both white and black ones.

That’s the perspective of a middle age guy. :slight_smile:

Fool on,

mazske

Long UA

4 Likes