When not to Buy 3EMA and Price Action

I am new to Motley Fool and have been looking at many of their recommendations, but before I buy any share (even ones recommended by Fool) I look at their chart and I put 8, 20, 50, and 150 EMAs onto the charts and unless the price action is above the 8, 20 and 50 EMA my view is they are in a Down Trend and I am not going to risk my capital by trying to pick a bottom without real bull Price trend. I trade on the Day chart, but look at the weekly and monthly charts and look back to determine past support and resistance levels as they are likely to affect the trade. When I enter a trade I want it to have the potential to do well and not hit past resistance points

Here are some of my notes I have made on the Fools Recommendations
TEAM In Bear Trend, but can be bouncing up, Further bear candles 21 April, so still in Bear Trend.
U Unity Software Inc - in Bear Trend possibly near entering Bull Market, but not yet a Buy.
ISRG Intuitive Surgical Bear trend broken with HHighs and HLows? Still below 3EMA’s - Closed above 50EMA but still below 20 & 8 EMA, resistance just above so still not a Buy - 21 April
ANET Arista Networks - IN BULL Trend, Possible Double Top reversal, currently Ranging, I would want to see some retracement back to say touch the 50EMA and wait for a Green candle to close above the 50EMA.

3 Likes

Welcome and thanks for the interesting post.

I exited isrg a few years ago, quite happy.

david fb

1 Like

No-one here posts much about technical analysis.

Somewhere where you might get more of a reply maybe:

https://discussion.fool.com/technical-traders-sanctuary-115480.a…

1 Like

Ken, welcome to the METAR Board – Macro Economic Trends and Risks. Note that “Macro” means “affecting the economy on the large scale, thus impacting investments.”

Your post is on-topic since the board does discuss stock investments and types of analysis. We also welcome members with a specific area of interest (such as technical analysis) that isn’t shared by most other members.

You would probably be the only METAR member who actively trades based on technical analysis alone. That’s OK…but don’t be surprised if you don’t get many answers.

Wendy

At METAR, we spend so much time trying to figure out if the sky is falling, we don’t have time to trade or invest!

<-----The above is a joke. Consult your doctor to see if this joke is right for you. You may experience dizziness, increased blood pressure, incontinence or sudden, inexplicable laughter after reading this joke. If you experience these symptoms, consider a rec, ignore or just close your browser.

these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA
4 Likes

At METAR, we spend so much time trying to figure out if the sky is falling, we don’t have time to trade or invest!

It’s the Debbie Downer Syndrome!:hugs:

1 Like

I can solve the problem of searching for the sky to fall. The simple answer is in the short term the sky is always falling somewhere,in the long term it hasn’t fallen yet ,and there is no reason to think it will.
If I am wrong and the sky does fall tomorrow,it won’t matter,we will all be toast.
So don’t worry,live today for today.

JK

<-----The above is a joke. Consult your doctor to see if this joke is right for you. You may experience dizziness, increased blood pressure, incontinence or sudden, inexplicable laughter after reading this joke. If you experience these symptoms, consider a rec, ignore or just close your browser.

these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA

Ha-Ha!

OJ: What’s a horse’s favorite car?

HohumYNWA needs to trade and invest, so the answer to the joke will have to wait a few minutes.
Sometimes an idea reaches escape velocity and goes a little ballistic
Have been keeping an eye on this (somewhat deservingly) down-trodden shipping idea- Navios Maritime Holding (NM).
In Feb 2022, bought-and-sold within a week for a quick gain and some … I dunno, snacks, laundry money
In Apr 2022, bought in first week and sold last week. Again, small gain - little reserve pile. Maybe extra cash to support higher fuel costs on road trip.
But then, after I sold my small NM stake, shares powered higher with accompanying volume (2 consecutive days).

Answer: A Mustang

Answer: A Mustang

Glad you didn’t say Pinto…

:wink:

Pete