When will insurance companies take this into account?

8 Likes

I prefer physical buttons and dials that can be turned. I don’t have to take my eyes off the road to use them.

Wendy

3 Likes

Not no, but absolutely NO! Tactile feed back is crucial, having something in the same place that feels the same is not replaceable by touch screens or voice control.

They are however cheaper and more compact. You can layer screen after screen on a screen. No buttons to design, test, install or warranty. Way way cheaper. As long as the manufacturers can get away with it, screens will replace buttons and gauges.

I am a little surprised that manufactures are installing gauges and screens at all. Just provide a decent usb3 port, a high speed 5 gig wi-fi and let the customer provide the I-pad or google pad or whatever. Even a decent phone would work.

No buttons, no warranty, no getting totally dated. Software updates via the Apple store or Google store.

Cheers
Qazulight

5 Likes

same

2 Likes

That’s fair and works for you. However almost any driving task you want to do on a Tesla Touchscreen can be done with a voice command, all while keeping your eyes on the road. Yeah, it might a day or two to get used to, but it’s quite simple. Easier, for me anyway, than reaching for a dial.

2 Likes

That’s what I used to think, and that’s a valid personal preference. And yes, a voice command isn’t the same as tactile feedback… for me, in my Tesla, it’s better. With voice commands I can keep my eyes on the road and still get immediate response from the car. In those instances where I want to glance at the screen, it’s no more distracting than checking the rear view mirrors. The most crucial real-time information I need - speed, cruise control, autopilot, surrounding traffic, “fuel gauge”, etc. - is still right there behind the steering wheel as in any other car.

I’m an old dog learning new tricks, but transitioning to EV Touchscreen-less driving has been pretty easy. Of course, YMMV…

1 Like

This is how my JVC works in the car. This is not me in the video. You may need to give this full screen to see it. There is some glare.

skip to 1:46

Not in a Model 3 or Y. Those two are the majority of Teslas sold today - and in the last few years.

–Peter

Really? Just curious, what version of software are you running on your Model Y?

@SpeyCaster
Doesn’t matter. The model 3/Y doesn’t have a display behind the steering wheel. At least not all of them.

My understanding is that all model S/X have that display. But Tesla sells around 10 3/Y for every S/X. So there are a lot of Teslas out there with basic driving info available only on the center display.

—Peter

Not only that, but I am loath to have all/most of my controls routed through a single point of failure - a touch screen. If that breaks, then what?

If I have a knob or a button, then I no longer have a single point of failure for all my functions.

Tesla recalls 130,000 vehicles because touch screens may go blank.

Thankfully, the above was a software problem but if it gets damaged or is defective, it costs about $1500 to replace (and it appears to have only a 2 year warranty):

3 Likes

I was reading the owner feedback on the VW Taos and Tiguan several days ago. Both models have a center screen to handle a variety of functions, but the HVAC controls have not been integrated into the screen, yet. They both also have electronic driver’s instrument clusters, instead of the electro-mechanical speedometer and gauges of the past. Apparently both the center and driver’s screens are prone to freezing, and going entirely blank, randomly. Apparently, stopping and restarting the engine may restore function, until the next glitch.

Steve

Tesla must have a better “voice command” system than everyone else. My current SUV has its native system which is hit or miss and limited. You have to say key phrases which if you are not close, no dice. I do have my iPhone blue toothed to the SUV so I can get calls and texts but again, trying to get it to reliably respond can her frustrating. One minute can send of voice command to text, the next Siri is telling me to unlock my phone which was an issue literally one minute ago.

Model 3 and Y only have the large central display. But most people get used to it within a week or two. The 7 drivers in my family all got used to it very quickly.

And nearly every Tesla runs the latest version of software because thats the one that is downloaded to the car when it connects to wifi.

1 Like

You would think it wouldn’t be hard for Tesla to provide a heads-up display for the critical driving information.
HUD is one of those things you think is totally unnecessary until you drive with one.
Mine (an Acura) has only current speed, speed limit, cruise control setting and proximity to vehicle ahead (and briefly flashes the radio station when changed.
It would be great if it was configurable for which things to show.

2 Likes

Peter, my fault for saying the touchscreen is “right behind” the steering wheel. It’s actually rearward and slightly offset to the right. I’m so used to it now it’s just as easy to read as if it were directly behind. A recent software upgrade also put the turn signal camera imagery much closer to the driver’s field of vision, which is great. I totally get that this type of display might not be right for everyone, but my wife and I love it.

No, there is only one screen, and it’s in the center console. At least that is the case in the one I’ve driven and in several I have looked inside.

—Peter

Yes!!! I was mystified to see that my Tesla doesn’t have a HUD in it. I also expected an electronic rear view mirror instead of the flimsy small one they installed.

2 Likes