Where inflation is and isn't. Spring 2024

8 Likes

It’s weird chart, because the one thing that most consumers probably notice: “food” isn’t on the list anywhere except for “restaurant meals.”

What’s up with that?

2 Likes

It’s probably included in “GROCERIES” …

3 Likes

1.2% Groceries.

Meaning we are well below the target.

The odder thing is rental cars might not include rental car insurance. Just like when you sign a rental car agreement things are bifurcated.

JEEBUS! I read it over 3 times. THREE TIMES and missed it. I need an extra helping of brain food this morning.

3 Likes

Maybe your mind mumbled it as “grosseries” or “grotesqueries” and dismissed that thinking “Gosh, I thought that was rising faster, and so things ain’t so bad on that front.”
:wink:

d fb

1 Like

I have a lot of respect for my elders. LOL

Auto insurance sticks out like a sore thumb.

One thing I’ve noticed is that people seem to be driving much faster and more carelessly than prior to the pandemic. Then again, the older I get, the slower I drive. Which seems counter intuitive. I have less time to live, so you’d think I’d want to shorten the time I spend driving. :grin:

Also, IIRC, car manufacturers decided to build more expensive cars due higher profit margins. I wonder if that, and more expensive EVs, is also driving up the cost of auto insurance.

2 Likes

That and the way cars are built in modules rather than individual parts. If a rock from a truck broke a headlamp on Tom’s & Ray’s 1963 Dodge Dart, it was a < $10 part to replace. But if the same thing happens on a modern car, it is a few hundred $$ just for the part if you can figure out how to replace it yourself.

3 Likes

It’s not you! Took me twice through the list as well. They changed all the entries from the normal CPI names for some reason … Food away from home = RESTAURANT MEALS … Food at home = GROCERIES.

2 Likes

Word. Cracked the tail light on our old Toyota van when a 2x6 slipped on the way to the workshop. Called my dealer for the part: $256, because you can’t buy just the plastic, you have to buy the entire assembly. Labor was extra if you don’t know how to remove & replace it yourself. Probably another $200.

I went to AutoZone and bought some tail light repair plastic with a sticky back, covered the hole, and never looked back. Cost me $12, and that was for $2 worth of plastic.

6 Likes

had a cracked rear taillgiht, was close to $200 bucks at local auto parts store. Did find it for much less on Amazon, but still over $100. Probably would have been $300 if taken to a shop to have them swap it out.

I am definitely seeing the need to stay invested in equities even as a retiree because of the need to try to stay even with inflation.

2 Likes