Who makes money when AI reads the internet for us?

… Private Equity of course.

intercst

2 Likes

This is plagiarism more than likely.

I hope the Times does not allow for a “deal” where they get royalties. The royalties will be squat.

Not really. If I read a New York Times article and then summarize it in my own words, it’s commentary, not plagiarism. Now imagine an AI bot reading the daily paper from start to end and issuing a detailed summary. The first upgrade to that will be a summary that just delivers the news that confirms what you already “know.”

This “brave new world” started with the founding of Fox News in 1996 and metastasized from there.

intercst

2 Likes

Sorry but there is a case before the courts right now for the publishing world. The idea is to issue royalties.

The machine is using other people’s work with no input from the machine. Rewording things is not original content.

For the times just to get royalties would be a travesty.

An agreement with no opt-out might get done. That means other newspapers with AI can just copy the Times and say it is garbaged up now it is ours, we paid to do this.

We all should be getting royalties from AI in the form of Universal Basic Income. Of course, the most ignorant and innumerate among us will prevent that. {{ LOL }}

intercst

2 Likes

Silicon Valley has not only produced digital equipment but the best sales bs’ers of all time.

You can not jump from AI to universal income.

Sure you can if you tax it.

intercst

2 Likes

Those same salespeople will sell the notion that you will lose your job if taxes go up.

Plenty of people are that stupid.

I will take the money they do not want. No, they can NOT change their mind(s)–they don’t have any to change !!