Whose board is this?

It was Saul’s, duh, but he abdicated. He offered it to me, but I politely declined. I still got stuck running it as I was the only other non-TMF-employee with access to approve or delete posts, but I did so half-heartedly. That said, I’ve tried to run it his way. It’s about growth stocks. Other topics (French cooking, 401k distributions, crypto, crochet) are not allowed.

But it’s not my board. It’s all of ours. I’m just a moderator. Some of you have speculated about why I would start a subreddit or why my heart hasn’t been in this board. Speculate no longer! It’s because the board was slowly dying – even before Saul abdicated. I agree with @othalan and @cobi and others – locking down the board was problematic. Even if it was a necessary evil at the time, it slowly killed momentum, or at the very least kept it from coming back.

Hopefully Jen gets the board open again. Then it’s up to everyone. Jump in here! Discuss growth stocks! Make your case for a company/stock! Compel me (and others who have gone quiet) to be interested enough in what you are saying to be reinvigorated and join the discussion.

It’s up to each of you.

Bear

67 Likes

One aspect of this board that Saul was big on, was the non zero-sum or positive sum nature of this style of growth investing. I remember when I first got to the board and reading that Saul said writing a monthly summary would make you a better investor. I was skeptical of writing a portfolio summary because I did not see the point, or how it would make me a better investor.

At the time of arriving on the board, I also did not track my results closely. I knew I wanted my balance to go up with the appropriate amount of risk vs reward. Saul also wrote that tracking results closely will improve the skill of an investor. Again I was skeptical here what additional edge it would provide, as the results are historical. I thought my focus should be just on being solely in the right underlying names, and opposed to how I performed in the past.

However, over time I began doing a monthly summary and tracking my results monthly. I did indeed find that both of these activities made me a better investor. It was not really in the way I expected though, as defining my investing process more, made me have a more disciplined approach. I also started getting more consistent results as I began defining my investing process further.

I realize over the years there were people dropping by the board with a cynical attitude. The assumption was nobody would ever give away anything for free, so the board must exist to pump Saul’s stocks. The interesting thing here is, there is actually no value in “pumping” a stock. Over the longer run, the underlying business needs to deliver results themselves for the stock to do well. Getting people excited about a stock that then produces a poor report, does nobody any good. This is why it is better to focus on what can be controlled, by selecting strong names consistently where the business has a good chance to over perform.

I have found a lot of value in writing up individual stocks for the board to see what the feedback is on the stock. There’s been plenty of times where I thought a stock was a great name, and the feedback was tepid. Other times I was on the fence about writing up a name, to find out the stock did interest other investors a lot.

I think participation on the board was basically essential to Saul’s strategy. Recently there are a lot of posters speaking up now, who were not active participants on the board. I think just being purely a consumer of the board, is missing the point of the board. Saul was clear this style of investing is non zero-sum, and I found this to be the case, after I started contributing more.

I would prefer if posters were actively more posting, even if they are casual takes on the stocks or topics. For example, I kicked off a thread on Viavi Solutions and there are no replies yet. The board in this case is not getting the value it should be, because so many are content with not contributing. Especially for the folks that really want to see this board thriving, then participation would be helpful.

43 Likes

Saul elected to near selflessly share a process that was delivering enormous returns. to him personally. It was not entirely selfless, as Saul understood, that even his creative genius would benefit from an ethically honest band of brothers ‘all pulling together in a amazing atmosphere of near selfless sharing. He understood with this atmosphere of sharing the pace of the ship would grow as the number of oarsmen increased. Everyone, even Saul, would benefit for an earlier arrival at the promised land.

The loss of Saul’s instinctive leadership was a major loss, as he was no longer the aggressive monitor of behavior and technical guide for decision making. This opened the door for those not interested in selfless sharing, but for selling Saul’s genius for a profit. We all heard the barker, “Hey, leave Saul’s ship, and for a buck or two, I will give you a path to the promised land.”

For decades Saul created and adamantly maintained the atmosphere of everyone contributing to the common good via common process. And we all understand the quality of Saul’s creation. Wouldn’t he have instantly banned membership for any member of his cherished community pursuing its demise?

A second thought. We have a member attacking the wonderfully accommodating posture of MF, by suggesting their membership leave for his personal fee based advisory service. In my judgement Saul would find this instantly unethical.

Gray

6 Likes

I think Saul might delete your posts, Graydrake. You are attacking others which is forbidden. I’m more lenient. I’ve been trying to ignore you – but keep it up and you will be banned!

I hate to dignify your screeds with a response, but in case anyone else doesn’t know, pretty much all of what you say is wrong. The Reddit, like this board, is free. No one is suggesting anyone leave the Fool, either!

Stop with your personal attacks. That is one thing Saul NEVER allowed.

Bear

21 Likes

@Graydrake Hey, I emailed you directly as we have spoken one on one a number of times. I’m surprised to hear this is your attitude regarding the state of the board and my Membership service.

If you recall, Saul was a subscriber to Bert’s paid service for many years, and Bert never once contributed to this board. There’s other folks on this board who also have their own paid service and rarely post.

From my viewpoint the Membership Service works out best for everyone. There are plenty of folks who wanted more frequent updates from my self about portfolio stocks and new names I’m researching. On the other hand, there are others who found the number of stocks I’m posting about to be overwhelming, and would prefer if I just covered top holdings where I have strong conviction.

As I mentioned in my write up this month, I’m planning to do a full write up of a new stock each month that is completely open on this board. My monthly summary video I just posted is completely free, and it is the most in depth I’ve gone on my top names ever for a monthly summary. I’m also looking to avoid doing upsells or pitches for my Service on this board, as I realize that is not the spirit of this board.

I mentioned above that there is a thread on Viavi Solutions I started which has zero replies. Instead of researching Viavi and posting something useful regarding that stock, you have decided to come after me personally instead. As Bear pointed out, that is explicitly against the rules of this board, and not in the spirit of what Saul was cultivating.

31 Likes

There have been a number of people who have sold their services on this board. As far as I know, Saul never had a problem with it. If you don’t like it, you don’t have to sign up for the service.

6 Likes

The board is now open to everyone. I left the group in place in case we need to go back to locking it down but for now, anyone can post.

I’m going to remove the “request access to the group” from the announcements sidebar but again, will preserve it in case we need to add it back in.

29 Likes

Thank you.

I for one promise not to abuse the privilege. The thought that this wealth of collective wisdom could die off from sheer apathy was difficult to contemplate. Saul’s style of investing is not mine, so I may not post often, but if I have something that’s in keeping with the process and principles of this board I will bring it here.

MarkM

8 Likes

I can finally post!! I’ve been here since roughly 2017/2018 and have never been able to post. Every time I tried to apply, I never was granted access. I figured I had been selecting the wrong superhero.. (if anyone remembers that was one of the questions when submitting a request lol) I plan to start adding to some of these discussions now that I’m able to! Thank you everyone who helps keep this board productive and on track.

14 Likes