Why Amazon is down.

Someone may have covered this already, but no wonder Amazon is off 6% after hours:

Revenue was only up 29% yoy.

EPS only tripled (actually a little more) at 52 cents, up from 17 cents.

Operating Cash Flow was only up 49% from a year ago. And was $30.10 per share, up from $20.04.

Free Cash Flow was only up 59% from a year ago. And was $17.73 per share, up from $11.23.

Oh, and by the way, Operating Cash Flow was up just 17% SEQUENTIALLY. And Free Cash Flow was only up 16% SEQUENTIALLY.

And their cloud revenue from AWS was only up 55%.

Falling apart obviously.

Saul

40 Likes

Entirely by coincidence this morning, before the market opened, I spent some time reading posts and comments about Amazon at SA. I find a large part of them to be clueless. I didn’t understand Amazon until I heard Bezos talk about his business vision. Then it all made sense and I started buying the stock.

AMZN is very volatile and one should buy accordingly. I’m buying on dips and one should be aware that there could come a huge 50% dip at any time. One has to be prepared for it and not be scared out of the stock by it. AMZN must be a high conviction stock or one should not buy it.

Let’s see what price I can get in the morning, before the market opens. My last buy was at $763.46.

Denny Schlesinger

2 Likes

Someone may have covered this already, but no wonder Amazon is off 6% after hours:

As we all know, price reactions are relative. I’ve talked about the phenomenon here using the phrase “predicting the future better than everyone else.” And Amazon is perhaps the most perfect example of this.

Amazon has a solid and still-growing online retail business AND it has a super fast growing web services business that could end up being more profitable than its retail operations.

The problem has been that every knows Amazon has great prospects. So, the stock has been bid up to really high levels. For instance, Amazon’s P/E ratio has been over 200 recently. That’s like an order of magnitude over solidly growing companies.

Great as Amazon is, can it really live up to the hype that’s built into it’s stock price?

7 Likes

The market simply got ahead of itself on this one. Remember Bert Hochfeld’s calculations from half a year ago? With his reasonable growth estimates and targeting a P/E of 22 in 5 years he has gotten to about 50% growth in the share price.
Then the stock grew by 40% just within 6 months! That’s beyond any reasonable optimistic growth!
Is revenue up 29% yoy? Great! The stock price is up 32% yoy (or was before market closing) - and THAT price already had all of that growth priced in.

AMZN is my largest position and the fact it was growing so fast in the last couple of months was making me nervous. I would actually prefer the market stepping off the gas and letting amazon catch up with the expectations somewhat…

2 Likes

The thing is impossible. I finally have a holding based on nothing except I have ordered about a dozen items in the last couple of weeks, all of them arrived within a day or two. I had to return one item (my fault, not theirs) and it was straightforward and collected the same day! The fact is, it is just brilliant and my investment is nothing more than membership of a fan-club. Unforgiveable. Probably I deserve to get whacked. I don’t intend to watch it or read anything about it. Clearly I have my head in the clouds, or should that be cloud?

6 Likes

I finally have a holding based on nothing except I have ordered about a dozen items in the last couple of weeks, all of them arrived within a day or two.

I have been an Amazon customer for years. Amazon is one of the few online retailers who gets my repeat business based on the trust they have earned. When they started the AWS business while I was still hosting websites I tried out the service. While I was not technically impressed, their continuing price reduction told me they were on to something. It took years but AWS has become a highly profitable enterprise. Right now Bezos is trying to take over the online retail business in India and China. When compared to other private space initiatives, it seems to me that Bezos has the most cost effective strategy. Bezos is not focused on the next quarter but on the next quarter century. It might be risky but Bezos has shown during the past 20 years that it works.

I added this morning, premarket.

Amazon is down because the market is listening to analysts instead of listening to doers but that’s fine, that how dips happen.

Denny Schlesinger

2 Likes

Smorg and stenlis have it right. Amazon is an amazing business but it’s going to make the majority if its profit in the future from AWS (unless it revolutionizes shipping, especially the “last mile” problem). There’s just not enough margin in retail/delivery, especially with all of the brick and mortar legacies such as Walmart starting to become more and more desperate in their competitive strategies. The expected high pace growth is already baked into the current price so that means to get further price gains, Amazon will have to blow things out of the water even more than “just” 55%. Seems ridiculous but it’s reality

1 Like

I finally have a holding based on nothing except I have ordered about a dozen items in the last couple of weeks, all of them arrived within a day or two.

I agree Streina, I buy everything from them. It saves so much trouble. I can count on them and it saves trips and trips wandering around to stores, or within stores, trying to find the things, and ending up frustrated. I have recently bought:

Loads of kindle books
8 boxes of my favorite breakfast cereal (Kelloggs Country Store, which comes from England)
Tea infusers for my wife
Ground Sumac, that my wife wanted for a seasoning and which wasn’t available in the supermarkets.
Some Starbucks Via coffee sticks in a flavor the local Starbucks was out of.
A moisturizer brand the pharmacy didn’t have.
A 20-pack of AAA batteries
Mens slippers
My wife’s hair gel
A 2017 Sierra Club calendar
The stain remover my wife uses
A 4-blade kitchen “spiralizer”
A huge pack of toilet paper (saves carrying it back from the store)
Gillette blades
Palmolive dish soap
Shampoo
Perfume
Baggies
Pilot pens
Turmeric (another spice for cooking)
etc

Just think of all the time, energy, and trouble that that has saved me

Saul

6 Likes

There’s just not enough margin in retail/delivery,

There is a terrific misconception about retail margins, it all depends on velocity. As a management consultant I had for a client a supermarket where they taught me the secret of retailing. Their goal was to sell the merchandise three times before paying for it, in other words, if they got 30 days to pay the invoice the stuff had to be off the shelves in ten days. Amazon is going them one better, they don’t hold inventory, their vendors do. And the other secret is size, you get better terms from volume discounts and your installations tend to be more efficient.

especially with all of the brick and mortar legacies such as Walmart starting to become more and more desperate in their competitive strategies.

The idea is to squeeze them so that they go broke before Amazon does. Retailers can’t take on Amazon head on which is what Walmart is doing with Jet. For example, Ross Stores (ROST) has a business model that is not impacted (too much) by Amazon. They have low prices and a “treasure hunt” atmosphere that cannot be duplicated on line.

There is a very good (simplified) illustration in Reinventing The Bazaar that explains how competitive prices are set. Suppose you have just two sellers. Seller A’s cost is $1.00 while seller B’s cost is $1.20. At a street price of $1.50 both make money. If they get into a price war then at $1.20 seller B has no profits. Under $1.20 seller B goes broke. Amazon’s competitor’s have to drive their price below Amazon’s cost to hurt Amazon. Not a likely scenario. The viable option is to have a different business model like Ross Stores has.

Denny Schlesinger

Reinventing the Bazaar: A Natural History of Markets Paperback – November 17, 2003
by John McMillan (Author)

https://www.amazon.com/Reinventing-Bazaar-Natural-History-Ma…

26 Likes

I added this morning, premarket.

Hi Denny, Yes I added a little too in the pre-market. I had trimmed a little because the price rise had made my position too big, and I bought part of it back this morning.

Saul

I had trimmed a little because the price rise had made my position too big, and I bought part of it back this morning.

It makes sense to take profits along the way, a great way to use volatility.

Denny Schlesinger

No one likes the contrarian, but in my opinion, at $800 per share, AMZN should be currently earning around $8 quarterly rather than $.52, even with the impressive annual revenue growth rates.

Yes, they have one of the widest moats of any publicly traded company, and yes their modus operandi continues to be “sacrifice earnings now and reinvest to further distance ourselves from competitors.” But let’s remember, this is the same tune that Bezos was signing back in 2006. Will it be acceptable to shareholders if they are hearing the same thing in 2026?

At what point do shareholders of a company that has been around for 20 years say, “show me the money”? If AMZN shareholders aren’t at this point yet, perhaps they are at a point where they start to question whether Amazon’s current way of doing business will ever provide shareholders with a suitable return on their invested capital? How much would AMZN have to increase its product prices to deliver $8 quarterly EPS? And if it ever sold its products at those prices, would Wal-Mart and other retailers suddenly become much more competitive?

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just a pragmatist.

12 Likes

I always enjoy your list of Amazon purchases. I too use Pilot pens (G-TEC-C4) even though the ink flow is sometimes erratic.

What I find especially valuable on Amazon is being able to compare different products, read others’ comments and ask questions. I needed to make up a light work bench with trestles, a vice and a few other things and after an hour of entirely pleasurable browsing it was all done and it is now in situ.

Will it be acceptable to shareholders if they are hearing the same thing in 2026?

If it is still growing sales at 30% in 2026, why not?

StevesStox: my feeling is that I do not want Bezos to show me the money. I do not doubt that he could easily show me the gold if he brought his pirate ship to land. But funding his enterprise, I want him to stay on the high seas and continue his rapacious ways. ‘For it is, it is, a glorious thing, to be a pirate king!’. (Entertaining clip on YouTube.)

When I sally forth to seek my prey

I help myself in a royal way

I sink a few more ships, it’s true

Than a (etc.)

4 Likes

How much would AMZN have to increase its product prices to deliver $8 quarterly EPS?

They don’t have to raise prices to get there, they just need to reduce the amount reinvested into the business. Bezos obviously has no desire to do that at this time as they have so many places they want to invest at this time to grow the business that much more in the future.

AMZN would lose customers if they increased their prices, that is not where additional future revenues would come from. People like and shop at AMZN because of the good prices, great customer service, fast and free delivery with Prime, easy returns, etc.

2 Likes

“There is a terrific misconception about retail margins, it all depends on velocity.”

Hey Denny, no misconceptions here, just looking at the actual numbers. I think our terminology might be getting confused. When I say margin, I mean total profit margin from each dollar of sales. The holding costs/working capital that you are talking about is definitely a part of it, but as you have said, a lot of retailers (and certainly the behemoths like Walmart, go into a Walmart near you and look at how many empty shelves they have because they’re trying to squeeze a few cents out of the negative working capital philosophy) nowadays have negative working capital, which means Amazon does not have an advantage over these companies. Additionally, to your second point, Amazon is actually at a huge disadvantage when it comes to volume discounts, at least compared to Walmart, since it’s selling 1/4 of the volume WMT is doing

Let’s walk through an apples to apples comparison, just so you can see what I’m talking about.
Amazon’s 10-Q is here: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1018724/000101872416…

Walmart’s 10-Q is here:
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/104169/0000104169160…

Net Sales for Walmart for the quarter was 119 billion, while retail sales for Amazon (on page 16, under segment reporting) was 19b in North America and 11b internationally, for about 30b total. Net profit for Walmart before income tax was 5.6b, while operating income for the retail segments at Amazon BEFORE stock comp AND income tax was 362 million (694-332). Margin for Walmart is then 4.7%, while for Amazon is 1.2%. Remember, we are not including stock comp for Amazon, while we are for Walmart, for simplicity purposes (I can go get the stock comp expense for Walmart from the equity footnotes, but didn’t want this to be more complicated than it already is). 3.5% is huge in retail. For Amazon, this would be over $1 billion, which is enough to pay for all of its G&A corporate (at 639m this quarter), or enough to pay for 60% of its marketing budget

Now just talking through things from an overview perspective - Amazon’s cost advantage isn’t directly in their inventory practices, but in the amount of overhead they might employ for their inventory. They might have a slight advantage because they rely on warehousing/fulfillment centers to deliver their products, whereas Walmart would need the giant warehouses along with actual stores to display the inventory. But where they pick up savings there, they lose out majorly, at least currently, after shipping costs are taken into consideration. The “last mile” problem is going to be a huge drain until Bezos innovates a way to reduce the need for costly/margin killing partnerships with Fedex/UPS etc. That said, as Walmart starts to get into the fight with Jet, they will start eating into their own profit margin as well.

Amazon’s greatest advantage is actually its shareholders. There’s no profit directive like with Walmart or other retailers, instead, the company generates just enough cash to continue to continue to build out its fulfillment centers/warehouses and pay for its R&D (for AWS, Blue Origin, etc. - heavy industrial zones in space is Bezo’s next dream, as an aside, I’m not a fan of Amazon stuffing its warehouse lease payments in the “financing” activity portion of the cash flow statement, it feels underhanded/manipulative to me, but at the end of the day, free cash flow is free cash flow). In other words, Amazon sells things cheaper now because it doesn’t have a need to make much of, if any, profit. I can only speculate, but I believe the rich valuation is due to the belief that the company will continue to take market share, and, eventually, turn its focus to increasing its margin. But in capitalism, there is no free pass to execute, there are plenty of companies that already has in place the giant distribution systems that Amazon has been building up, and there’s nothing stopping them from fighting back by lowering their own margins

To sum, Amazon is an amazing company for customers, and that’s part of the reason why its fundamentals continue to grow like gangbusters, but it’s hard to say that if the margins for retail don’t eventually expand (and I’ve already outlined why there would be no reason for Bezos to do so), that there would be much value assigned to the retail segment. The AWS segment is fantastic though, if price ever falls to a workable level (doubt it, but as I have admitted, I don’t understand the valuation the market is assigning to the retail segment), I’d be very interested

11 Likes

“show me the money”

Yes that was my reason for not buying AMZN. Several hundred points ago.

Amazon (as a customer)appeals to me just as much with prices 9.25% higher overnight . (They made a deal and started charging state sales tax)

I would love to now how it effected sales to my state. Because unlike other merchants Amazon can precisely know how much sals were hurt as a result of nearly 10% higher product cost to consumer. Other companies have to guess.

1 Like

"There’s no profit directive like with Walmart or other retailers, instead, the company generates just enough cash to continue to continue to build out its fulfillment centers/warehouses and pay for its R&D (for AWS, Blue Origin, etc. - heavy industrial zones in space is Bezo’s next dream, as an aside, I’m not a fan of Amazon stuffing its warehouse lease payments in the “financing” activity portion of the cash flow statement, it feels underhanded/manipulative to me, "

Amazon’s operating cashflow is funding Blue Origin? where did you get that?

Amazon’s operating cashflow is funding Blue Origin? where did you get that?

My apologies, Blue Origin is privately funded by Bezos, I was more so illustrating that Amazon does a lot of R&D on possible future “pillars” as Bezos might put it, much like Google (self driving vehicles, Nest) or Facebook (Aquila, VR). Blue Origin is an example related to Bezos but not Amazon, sorry for the confusion