Wild Guess on Mystery stock

I am not sure we get to know what is the Mystery stock that is not part of 13-F tomorrow, I am wondering whether it is Citi?

1 Like

My wild guess is Schwab.

1 Like

I’m guessing that it is less likely to be a financial and more likely to be a resource related company. Either natural resource (copper, etc) or a tech resource (chipmaker, chip tool maker, etc). Possibly something tightly coupled with the electrification that will happen over the next few decades. Berkshire usually thinks in terms of decades, not years. I don’t think Citi, Schwab, or any financial today has anything so special that it’ll shine for decades.

1 Like

The only thing that has gone up in their reporting is the cost basis of their holdings in financial services stocks. So the mystery stock is a financial company in the US, not a resource related company.

1 Like

If it is so blatantly obvious, then why hasn’t the financial press trumpeted that the new Berkshire stock is in financial services?

If you look at the report, Dec 31, 2022 cost basis for financials is $25.9B, and the Dec 31, 2023 cost basis for financials is $27.1B. That’s only $1.2B difference. And that isn’t much in the scheme of things at Berkshire. Maybe they bought only $1.2B of something in 2023, and continued buying in Q1 of 2024 and hence still want the name kept secret?

I also can’t tell exactly how they calculate cost basis. For example, how did the cost basis of “Consumer products” segment (down $6.3B) and “Industrial” segment (down $17.2B) go down so much last year?

I haven’t read every line of the report, so it may be explained somewhere.

1 Like

They could have sold something finance related and bought the mystery finance-related stock (more than $1.2 billion worth).

Try googling mystery stock and you should see plenty of articles from the financial press speculating on what kind of stock it is likely to be.

That might explain why so many were saying “Schwab” or “Citi”!

1 Like