Work Begins to Build Large U.S. Wind Port on Renewed Brooklyn Waterfront

Officials from New York State and City along with the executives of project developer Equinor and the Brooklyn community gathered on June 10 to mark the construction of the wind port facility at the South Brooklyn Marine Terminal. The 73-acre site is being revitalized into what is being billed as one of the nation’s largest dedicated offshore wind ports.

The site will be used to support Equinor’s first U.S. offshore wind project, Empire Wind 1, an 810 MW first phase of a proposed 2 GW offshore wind farm. The vision is to create a site both to support Empire Wind 1’s construction and future offshore wind projects. It will also be the location for the long-term Operations & Maintenance Base for the Empire wind farm, which includes a control room that measures turbine data and monitors the project around the clock.

“Today’s groundbreaking at the South Brooklyn Marine Terminal is a defining moment for Empire Wind 1 and for the long-term renewable energy ambitions of New York State and beyond,” said Molly Morris, President of Equinor Renewables Americas.

3 Likes

Thanks. Investors would like to know who will supply the wind turbines. GE Vernova? Made in USA? China? Europe? Or ?

Good question. I dug a good bit without seeing a word. I finally found a project name, or at least what seems to be: Empire Wind. That led me here.

Eventually I found the Supplier page.

Which led to Vestas. Googling them I was not encouraged.

Thanks. Vestas and Siemens are the leaders in Europe I think. Also have been reporting losses from the business. Bad contracts without cost escalators to deal with inflation.

Capable companies that make good product. GE Veranova has discontinued its largest wind turbines due to problems I think with turbine generator failures.

Vestas is a leading offshore wind turbine manufacturer with 8+ GW of offshore wind installed to date. We are the preferred supplier for the 2.1 GW Empire Wind offshore project in New York as well as Atlantic Shores’ 1.5 GW offshore project in New Jersey. The two projects will generate enough clean energy to power over a million U.S. homes each year.1,2

Offshore wind presents real opportunities to create good-paying jobs and long-term investments here in the U.S. Vestas is taking an active role in building a sustainable U.S. offshore industry that will bring long-term economic impacts to local communities.

Last year alone, Vestas spent $1.6 billion in the U.S. across 1,200 vendors to support our onshore business. We look forward to working with partners across the value chain to support the build out of the U.S. offshore industry and establish long-term supply chains to serve regional markets.

https://us.vestas.com/en-us/us-offshore-wind/us-offshore-wind

2 Likes

Thanks for responding here. Much appreciated.