WSJ: $F Management Changes Focuses on EVs

Buyers are learning the price is the price. No negotiations. Dealerships set the price, but, OEMs now taking a harder stance against any dealer raising prices.

Farley ($F CEO) met with 300 dealership owners recently to try and put their concerns to bed.

If you’re interested in the Auto Sector, you’ll want to see the video accompanying this article. Very informative and eye-opening, pointing at the demand lists, low inventory, and more sales online. The CEO of a 16-dealership chain gives us a quick tour of his empty lot. He found one “new” car on his entire lot. This sector must adapt for the way things are going:

WSJ headline: Ford Puts Focus on Electric-Vehicles Market With Management Changes

Auto maker names new product development officer and expands role of finance chief

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ford-puts-focus-on-electric-veh…

Ford Motor Co. on Thursday named Doug Field as its chief advanced product development and technology officer, and expanded Financial Chief John Lawler’s role to cover the company’s global supply-chain operations on an interim basis as it faces higher costs and parts shortages.

Mr. Field, who was Ford’s chief advanced technology and embedded systems officer, is expected to supervise the company’s $50 billion investment in the electric-vehicles market.

Mr. Lawler is expected to lead the transformation of Ford’s global supply-chain management until a permanent chief supply-chain officer is found, the company said.

1 Like

Ford Motor Co. on Thursday named Doug Field as its chief advanced product development and technology officer, and expanded Financial Chief John Lawler’s role to cover the company’s global supply-chain operations on an interim basis as it faces higher costs and parts shortages.

I’m surprised. I figured Hau Thai Tang would have a lock on head of PD:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/people/ha…

I don’t know Doug Field, but Hau is one sharp individual and would do an outstanding job with anything at Ford. I knew him when he was in charge of the Mustang program. If I had been willing to take the Vehicle Integration position for the Mustang program, I probably would have retired with a more lofty position as I followed Hau’s career moves around since it seemed he liked me.

BUT…

… I made it clear that my priority was my family and NOT the company. That is quite self limiting from a corporate career standpoint but I wouldn’t trade.

Rob
Former RB and BL Home Fool, Supernova Portfolio Contributor & Maintenance Fool
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

“The whole secret of investment is to find places where it’s safe and wise to non-diversify. It’s just that simple. Diversification is for the know-nothing investor; it’s not for the professional.” Charlie Munger

2 Likes

Whoops!

I just saw another article saying that Hau retires next week.

I suspect he was forced out in favor of the guy Ford hired from Apple. We’ll see how that works out…

Rob

“The whole secret of investment is to find places where it’s safe and wise to non-diversify. It’s just that simple. Diversification is for the know-nothing investor; it’s not for the professional.” Charlie Munger

1 Like

… I made it clear that my priority was my family and NOT the company. That is quite self limiting from a corporate career standpoint but I wouldn’t trade.

Imagine, putting people over profits. Good on ya, Rob! This will reward you for years to come.

I remember one of my colleagues (married. with kids) saying:

“I just love coming in on Sundays to go on the test track.” Then giving his reasons.

I was thinking “Wow. Our priorities are sure different!” Didn’t say it.

But yeah… it was fun on the track. Could be boring or nauseating, but usually fun. (Some vehicle tests induced nausea due to their violent nature. One tire clearance test involved driving backward in a tight circle at the highest speed you could manage…pretty bad…).

Rob

1 Like