ZM in pharma and biotech sales

My girlfriend is in sales in the pharmaceutical industry. She recently joined a startup that is expected to soon launch its first drug for sales in the US. The company is currently all WFH. The company was using WebEx and recently made the decision to switch to Zoom for ALL internal meetings.

In the pharmaceutical industry sales reps for drugs call on doctors. They frequently go to doctors’ locations, often providing lunches for doctors and staff so that they can make doctors aware of their drug. This is common practice in the US in the pharma and biotech industry. With WFH, this has not been happening as doctors do not want people coming to their offices to potentially expose them and their sick patients to the coronavirus. Also, the sales reps are also WFH so they would not be going to visit doctors even if the doctors would be ok with it. This is happening across the ENTIRE pharma and biotech industry in the US and perhaps globally. Today, my girlfriend’s company announced that they will be “visit” doctors via Zoom once their drug is happening. They will use ONLY Zoom. This is likely to be happening across the entire industry. Perhaps not everyone will use Zoom but a lot will be. I think it might be possible for Zoom to become a “standard” as doctors probably don’t want to use 3 different systems.

Chris

30 Likes

I think it might be possible for Zoom to become a “standard” as doctors probably don’t want to use 3 different systems.

Most doctors are technophobes. They can’t use any services other than Zoom, at least not without someone coming to their office to set it up or at least showing them the buttons to press.

5 Likes

Similar case with my company.

I work at a biotech startup.

We’ve used Teams for a long time but recently switched to Zoom since we found it more accessible and intuitive, making it easier for us to arrange online meeting with other companies.

3 Likes

That reminds me. Thursday I have my annual physical with my doctor over Zoom. I was sent instructions on how to install it.

1 Like

That reminds me. Thursday I have my annual physical with my doctor over Zoom. I was sent instructions on how to install it.

I also had a doctor utilize that recently. It seemed to work reasonably well.

However, my company has forbidden the use of Zoom due to alleged security problems. We are a tech company (not software), and the platform of choice is WebEx. We also use Teams.

FWIW.

1poorguy (no position in any software company at this time, and I’m not in the I.T. department so don’t know the details of why they are concerned about Zoom)

Most doctors are technophobes. They can’t use any services other than Zoom, at least not without someone coming to their office to set it up or at least showing them the buttons to press.

I copied that in a text to my daughter, who has been in the medical field for decades. Her current job is to train providers and staff on their systems and procedures.

She replied with a thumbs up! :sunglasses: