ZS announcements

ZS has both analyst day today and start of their Zenith Live annual conf, which leads to announcements. Note the CRWD partnership.

Zscaler Extends Cloud Capabilities to Deliver Secure Access to B2B Applications https://seekingalpha.com/pr/17634544?source=ansh $ZS

Zscaler™ B2B is a unique solution that reduces the attack surface introduced by customer-facing applications that are exposed on the internet. Built with the fundamentals of a service-initiated zero trust network access (ZTNA) architecture, Zscaler B2B enables authorized customers to view applications, based on business policy, without ever exposing the apps to the Internet where they are often attacked.

Zscaler Extends Edge Compute, Now Operating in Over 150 Data Centers https://seekingalpha.com/pr/17634545?source=ansh $ZS

Elastic Scale: The Zscaler global cloud scales elastically to meet changing bandwidth needs, and the cloud can perform compute-intensive services like SSL decryption at scale, at every POP, improving user experience without compromising security.

Cloud effect: Every new threat uncovered by Zscaler Cloud Sandbox is instantly blocked for all users across the Zscaler cloud.

Zscaler and CrowdStrike Partner to Provide Joint Customers with Seamless Protection Across the Cloud and the Endpoint https://seekingalpha.com/pr/17634368?source=ansh $CRWD, $ZS

“Zscaler’s robust platform with AI and ML capability, combined with CrowdStrike’s endpoint telemetry, will provide our customers a significantly improved security posture and automated remediation across their organizations.”

42 Likes

This annual conference is very important to ZS because of their sales model. If successful, key top executives attend and get to share with equals in other companies their challenges and success stories. ZS can not control the conversations so they must put their best foot forward. It is key for them to have success stories told amongst their potential client base. ZS must sell above some of the current management at their target audience in order to even be evaluated. So current security management at target companies protect their turf and are gatekeepers. Jay Chaudhry clearly has high expectations for today’s event and admittedly so do I.

Commway

7 Likes

Good - For what it’s worth I sold my entire Palo Alto holding (@ ~215), early Monday (which has dropped back since) and divided the proceeds into ZS (@ ~47) and Crowdstrike (@ ~65), (both of which have moved ahead). PANW’s growth rate is half or 1/3rd of ZS and 1/3 to 1/4 of Crowdstrike and had been only ~15% of its ATH whilst ZS & Crowdstrike are 30% and 40% down from their high.

Of course the P/S levels don’t begin to compare for all the reasons we have become familiar with when trying to look at the non linear comparisons in P/S across different growth cohorts for cloud/SaaS businesses.

So in the last year I have now reassigned my Fortinet, Qualys and Palo Alto holdings mostly into these 2 new players, leaving me with just a CyberArk holding amongst the old guard (relatively speaking).

Ant

4 Likes

partnership with CRWD is a bit interesting… does this mean ZS and CRWD are complimentary in big scheme of things and not competing?

My understanding was that ZS value proposition includes “you dont have to worry about endpoint because its access is secured”… and CRWD is also in land grab mode on security…

I understand ultimately its all about layers… more layers the better but just quite didnt expect such partnership…

The partnership between ZS and CRWD may not be purely driven by complementary and symbiotic technology considerations. Shouldn’t it also help with cross selling between the two upstart companies, making better pitch, thus lowering customer acquisition cost? After all, to switch from gateway/hardware based solution to purely cloud solution is going to be a long process, and this move can help both businesses into the steeper part of their S curve.

Looks like the battle against the bigger old guards is entering a new phase. I don’t know, but it’s possible that this partnership comes about as a response to the aggressive posture from PANW.

11 Likes

Well this is a bit of welcome news from ZScaler.

The CrowdStrike partnership is certainly important there. A cloud-native voltron for a unified voice about the benefits of this approach to security. One can feed the other. The two cool kids on the block. Interesting.

But I have to say I think the other two announcements are bigger for the long term thesis.

Let’s unpack this one:

Zscaler, Inc., the leader in cloud security, today announced the Zscaler™ platform is now distributed across over 150 data centers, with the company’s latest data center opening in Val-du-Roi, Normandy, France. The expansion is part of the company’s ongoing mission to provide enterprise users with fast, secure, reliable access to applications and services regardless of location, empowering enterprises to accelerate their cloud adoption, securely.

“The physical footprint and end-to-end control of the network, infrastructure, and code base of our global cloud is crucial for ensuring availability, security, and performance at scale for customers transforming to the cloud,” said Amit Sinha, Zscaler CTO and President of R&D, Operations & Customer Service. “When architecting the Zscaler cloud, we placed compute at the edge—in every point of presence (POP)—to ensure minimal latency between the user and the application.”

The architecture of ZScaler requires a globally distributed collection of ZScaler data centers. This provides two things. 1) near instantaneous latency and 2) the ability to respond to demand in any region elastically by distributing spikes in traffic volume to other nearby data centers.

Now with 150 globally distributed data centers, up from 100 at time of IPO. That’s what we in the investing bitness call a moat. Would-be legacy-native solutions or other wannabes have a long road ahead of them to match that kind of scale and capability. You just can’t throw up that kind of physics in short order or try a work around using some sort of hybrid public/private solution.

To give some context I believe that AWS operates 69 availability zones(data centers). AWS wouldn’t be able to match the architecture scale of ZScaler.

The other is a big step for ZScaler.

Zscaler™ B2B is a unique solution that reduces the attack surface introduced by customer-facing applications that are exposed on the internet. Built with the fundamentals of a service-initiated zero trust network access (ZTNA) architecture, Zscaler B2B enables authorized customers to view applications, based on business policy, without ever exposing the apps to the Internet where they are often attacked.

One of the problems for ZS that became obvious in this last quarter was their top-down c-suite type product and the difficulties of providing an adequate sales force for that. These days we are basking in the success of many SaaS bottom-up developer level products that run viral in an organization. ZScaler is a huge deployment or it doesn’t deploy. You either go their route which requires the tippy toppest level engagement or you don’t.

But what we have here is a product that maybe only one team with one app will enlist ZScaler for help securing a B2B use case. This is the first product that might start small and then span outwards and upwards and then start the conversations of using ZScaler and cloud security on that larger scale.

I think this will be an excellent smaller level on-boarding tool that will allow ZScaler to broaden its user base at a fraction of the CAC. Something I felt since the last call they desperately needed.

Added some back premarket.

Darth

63 Likes

Btw/ ran a detailed history of Palo Alto from 2010 forward. Was quite fun actually and very insightful. In comparison with Zscaler it is like de ja vu all over again on almost every talking point, both pro and con. One objective fact is that Palo Alto had a 26x multiple on market cap to revenue multiple at the end of their fiscal 2013 year. At a point when Palo had more revenues than Zscaler currently has (but within the same revenue numbers we are use to with most the companies we follow here) and at a time period before the multiple expansions were taking place, as this was early 2014.

Market must have just been crazy back then as well I guess to value a disruptive leading security company in the world at such a multiple when the rest of the world received no such multiple even that close at the time.

Tinker

25 Likes

I listened and watched the Zscaler Opening Keynote provided easily understood examples of the solutions and then customer testimonies from. All large diverse requirements.

Rob Franch
CTO, Cushman & Wakefield

Randy Herold
CISO, Manpower Group

Ben Vaughn
CISO, Hyatt

The Hyatt example was good with the CISO saying the next step, next year, is to remove all VPNs, if the ZS price is right. So not scripted.

Very encouraging

Going to listen to Analyst talk now.

11 Likes

ZStrike! or CrowdScaler!

as well as amplifying

But what we have here is a product that maybe only one team with one app will enlist ZScaler for help securing a B2B use case. This is the first product that might start small and then span outwards and upwards and then start the conversations of using ZScaler and cloud security on that larger scale.

4 Likes

Interesting - it seems to be able to offer the security perimeter and safe environment for a broad collection of business apps to customers in a similar way that Crowdstrike is offering with Falcon as a safe platform for other cybersecurity solutions.

I can’t figure out from this agreement if:

1. Crowdstrike is going to be using ZS internally (or vice versa)
  2. Crowdstrike is going to be distributing ZS on the Falcon or via any other means (or vice versa)
  3. They are creating a joint go to market offering

I guess there will be more details to come.
Ant

1 Like

Flyingcircus,

Appreciate three quote, burr it looks Luke gobbledygook to me. Can you translated?

Thanks
Gordon

Good news to see that my small holdings in both ZS and CRWD are up today! Hurrah.

More comforted that some of my LONGTERM holdings are up like VEEV. I believe that it is important to invest in both areas…safe and adventurous. OKTA was up…and I have owned it for some time, too!!
STJ

To give some context I believe that AWS operates 69 availability zones(data centers). AWS wouldn’t be able to match the architecture scale of ZScaler.

You must be seriously kidding or that’s pretty naive. Amazon CloudWatch monitors exponentially more end-points (of course all of that is within AWS environment) than ZScalar.

ZS has more data centers to avoid latency, but do not confuse Amazon’s architecture scale with ZS. Just to be clear, what ZS calls a DC could be bunch of servers hosted in co-lo space, and not a true DC. Just look at the assets on the balance sheet or the fixed asset purchase on the cashflow statement, you can recognize that. For fiscal 2019, fixed asset purchase is $25m, on the other hand a typical data center would require about $1B investment for AWS.

17 Likes

Appreciate three quote, burr it looks Luke gobbledygook to me. Can you translated?

But what we have here is a product that maybe only one team with one app will enlist ZScaler for help securing a B2B use case.

Now they have a product for small customers (teams)…

This is the first product that might start small and then span outwards and upwards and then start the conversations of using ZScaler and cloud security on that larger scale.

…who might become “ZScaler champions” in large organizations

Denny Schlesinger

3 Likes

King,

Thanks for insulting me but holy cow you have no idea what you are talking about.

AWS CloudWatch? You’re comparing the service that provides “Observability of your AWS resources and applications on AWS and on-premises” to what ZScaler does.

Endpoint’s? We aren’t talking about endpoint security with ZScaler.

The fact that you are trying to compare AWS CloudWatch to what ZScaler does is extremely ignorant to this conversation.

The point to have more data centers distributed is to get the ZScaler platform closer to the user and close enough together for load sharing. It depends on physical location much more than size and type of hardware inside.

Yes ZScaler co-locates Data Center’s. What’s the point? They don’t physically take possession of a spinning disk? That is not an easy or non-expensive network to set up. And yes, somebody who would set up resources in every single AWS data center would have an inferior product due to physical location alone. It would not work as well. Maybe for a few geographical regions or would be fine, but not globally. You could have the entire resources of an AWS sized data center working on this. It means nothing if the network is not architected appropriately.

I’m not saying that ZScaler has bigger scale than AWS. That would be a foolish thing to say.

I am firmly saying that ZScaler has the more appropriate scale for running a Secure Web Gateway than even an AWS would. ZScaler has a huge use case of Proxying traffic on the way to and from AWS for a reason. AWS does not have a product that competes with ZScaler SWG anyways.

Darth

51 Likes

Thanks Denny. I appreciate the translation.

Gordon

1 Like

They also announced Partner Awards

“The success of Zscaler is rooted in the company’s ability to partner with the leading technologies across networking and security in the industry… We are proud to award those companies that have shown incredible impact, innovation and collective drive to extend Zscaler’s mission.”

Global Awards

Tech Partner of the Year – Impact – Microsoft
Alliance Tech Partner of the Year – Silver Peak
Tech Partner of the Year – Innovative – Skybox Security
Managed Service Partner of the Year – Orange Business Services
ZTNA Partner of the Year – AT&T
Transformation Partner of the Year – Verizon
SI Partner of the Year – HCL

I was struck by Microsoft, ATT, Verizon and Silver Peak. Having Microsoft as their #1 Partner emphasizes how laughable Palo Alto’s assertion that Zscaler doesn’t work with Microsoft 360 is.

Saul

36 Likes

Darth, I wanted to thank you for your explanation of the significance of their three major announcements. I understood the partnership with Crowdstrike, but you explained the significance of the 150 data centers and Zscaler B2B so that I could grasp their significance very clearly.

By the way, Morningstar’s update today was entitled “Zscaler’s 2019 Analyst Day Focused on Breaking the Cybersecurity Status Quo”. I can’t remember another time when they had one of my stocks listed as “undervalued”, even if it isn’t by much.

Saul

30 Likes

The fact that you are trying to compare AWS CloudWatch to what ZScaler does is extremely ignorant to this conversation.

Let me break it for you to understand.

Cloudwatch receives telemetry and process it. ZS intercepts the traffic and process it. In terms of the scale to receive huge incoming traffic, volume, process them at speed is the scale.

ZS needs DC’s all over the world to intercept its customer traffic. Now if ZS wants to address only AWS customers, hypothetically speaking, they just have to be at the edge of AWS’s DC’s and don’t need to be all over the world.

Now, if you get this point then you can understand how AWS has scale over ZS.

I’m not saying that ZScaler has bigger scale than AWS.

These are your words… AWS wouldn’t be able to match the architecture scale of ZScaler.

but then you follow it up with…
“I am firmly saying that ZScaler has the more appropriate scale for running a Secure Web Gateway than even an AWS would.”

IF AWS has to implement a solutions identical to ZS then they just have to sit at the edge of their data centers and their architecture scale will dwarf ZS.

I will leave it with this. The analysis is faulty, and makes irrelevant comparisons. ZS having 150 DC’s is not a great scale or anything. ZS needs to intercept every traffic and analyze that’s their architecture. Now, a roudtrip latency between SF to boston is over 100 ms; so adding such latency will slow the application performance, to avoid that they are having many locations to reduce it to < 10ms; If you are a truly big enterprise, somebody like Netflix will you be using ZS?

7 Likes

This discussion has great input and perspectives. ZS addressed everything discussed here in their analyst day presentation yesterday. Approximately one and a half hours worth. It would be incredible if you all could take the time and watch, then provide their answer to your questions. Would be a huge help to me, but I am thrilled to have this as my largest current investment, although because I only started investing in mid august so I am in the hole for the moment.

The following YouTube link is active for the moment and I don’t know if it will stay up. The presentation begins at the 40:55 point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjvGft0loso

Commway

2 Likes