2 Step Authentication: Fools Account Security

Hello,

I’ve noticed that Motley Fool’s account security does not offer 2-step authentication.

In light of increasingly frequent and sophisticated data breaches, hacks and other privacy and data security concerns, please consider introducing this best practice.

Thank you.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that Motley Fool’s account security does not offer 2-step authentication.

In light of increasingly frequent and sophisticated data breaches, hacks and other privacy and data security concerns, please consider introducing this best practice.

Proper security requires a balance between the nuisance of the security measures and the cost of security failures. The nuisance of two-step authentication is extreme. When I try to use sites with this protocol, on attempting to log in requires me to find my cell phone (that I seldom use), turn it on (that requires over a minute for it to boot up and establish communication. Then start the application that brings up the message reader, find the message with the 2-step access code…

All that to keep people from posting and using my login?

I could understand this for my bank or stock broker, where there is significant money involved. But at The Motley Fool?

19 Likes

Heavens, no!!!

There is nothing at TMF worthy of protection by 2 Factor Authentication.

—Peter

4 Likes

There is no money, from me, @ TMF. 2-factor authentication is unnecessary!

ww.knowsaboutsecurity.pl/itisgoodENUFhere.noworries/

3 Likes

I would suggest optional 2 factor authentication. I have that on one of my financial accounts. There are some people here that purchases TMF products and have a credit card stored in their profile. I don’t so I don’t even use a strong password.

PSU

5 Likes

please consider introducing this best practice.

Why make a place where you can let off steam and view as a fun place to relax difficult to access? It’s already funky enough trying to access it. Adding two factor ID would be pouring gasoline on the fire.

3 Likes

I would suggest optional 2 factor authentication. I have that on one of my financial accounts.

My brokerage account has optional 2 factor authentication. It’s a good solution.

Denny Schlesinger

1 Like

I forgot to add that the reason for it being optional was because they were not willing to send the authentication to phones outside North America.

Denny Schlesinger

Just a few comments about 2FA.

TMF does indeed use 2FA for TMF/CMF Fools as well as with access to PII and investment research and recommendation information. And there is premium information that has value to protect from hackers. Of course, the biggest leak of confidential investment recommendations are member Fools themselves. These leaks can affect the markets and that impacts all Fools.

I don’t know why all Fools don’t have 2FA. I do know that additional security measures have been taken for Premium Fools, and a few have complained about having to repeatedly log in again. I’m not sure what the right balance is. I know I’m aggravated when I try to come onto the discussion boards only to realize I left my phone upstairs and I have to run up before the special code expires and I have to start over again.

Fuskie
Who does not know anything about TMF being unwilling to send authentication codes overseas but given TMF’s international operations, expects there are ways to deal with that and it would not be a limiting factor…

Premium Home Fool: Ask me a Foolish Question, I’ll give you a Foolish Response!
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), Mimecast (MIME), Virgin Galactic (SPCE), Axon Technologies (AXON), 51Jobs (JOBS)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disassociation: The views and statements of this post are Fuskie’s and are not intended to represent those of The Motley Fool or any other sane body
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post: https://tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu…
Invitation: You are invited to interactively watch Motley Fool Live online television: https://www.fool.com/premium/live/
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!

1 Like

I don’t know why all Fools don’t have 2FA.

I do. On some internet logins. But not on all of them.

I only use 2FA to protect sensitive information. TMF doesn’t have any terribly sensitive information from me. I do not consider my name and address to be sensitive. Shoot, my name is in my fool profile. So it’s already public. And with my name, it’s not hard to find my address. And a bunch of other info.

I also do not consider my credit card number to be all that sensitive. I’m not going to post it on the internet, of course. But if it were to be compromised, it’s easy enough (if a bit of a one-time pain in the neck) to get it cancelled, any unauthorized charges reversed, and a new number issued.

So I don’t see any benefit for me to use 2FA here.

–Peter

2 Likes