20% Paycut to work from home?

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/05/workers-at-uk-law-firm-to-ta…

This is in UK, not US. Do they have the child care concerns we do?

Working from home saves commuting time and various office expenses such as wardrobe. And works well for those with children to take care of.

Is 20% paycut a reasonable number?

Is 20% paycut a reasonable number?

An individual’s pay is not increased if work related costs increase, such as commute cost or time. Pay should be based upon value provided to company, someone’s pay doesn’t change because they move into more or less expensive housing. So, no decrease in pay.

10 Likes

Companies place what is value to the company. Companies have a right to motivate employees to do what the company views as best.

Choose to work from home or move out of area then the company has the ability to adjust salaries. If you are a high value employee then you have the ability to negotiate. Those that can easily be replaced will have to deal with the consequences of their actions.

A relative was hired at a job that was promised to be 100% telecommute. For him there is no value to be in an office because of the type of work and his co-workers are spread around the globe. His company is trying to force him to be in an office where none of co-workers are located three times a week. We will see. He has personal issues that prevent him from leaving for the next few months. If they don’t backdown, he will be looking for another job and has skills that are in demand.

Pay should be based upon value provided to company, someone’s pay doesn’t change because they move into more or less expensive housing. So, no decrease in pay.

Choosing to work remote may decrease the value to the employer.

2 Likes

An individual’s pay is not increased if work related costs increase, such as commute cost or time. Pay should be based upon value provided to company, someone’s pay doesn’t change because they move into more or less expensive housing. So, no decrease in pay.

Exactly, and if we are talking about office workers (assume we are here since physical labor cannot be done at home) you save a ton of office space you can get rid of, supplies, office furniture, heat and a/c expenses gone, great for the environment, less headache for employees who do travel and have to fight traffic, they will be in a better mood, I could go on and on. Just like in a relationship if you cannot trust the people, well you have the wrong people. Also when things go wrong off hours they will gladly accept your “work from home” attitude at 10pm or 3am :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do IT support. There is absolutely no part of my job that requires me to be in the office. None. My teammates communicate fine via zoom, MS teams, text, phone. If I need to do something mid day I just work later. Various co workers are online 6-7 daily. Suggesting I take a 20% pay cut would result in my leaving, period. I get headhunter emails regularly. Being a Fool means I’ve been saving and investing for over 30 years and have, um…let’s call it “see you later” money. It’s a good place to be.

16 Likes

I do IT support. There is absolutely no part of my job that requires me to be in the office. None

How useful to be in an office depends on the job. Clearly, yours doesn’t require physical presence at an office. It won’t be in your employer’s interest to push the issue of onsite presence.

My job required some time in office to physically configure/maintain the lab equipment. A co-worker kept demanding to work from home and dumping on me configuration of equipment for him. Fortunately, our manage realized what was happening and he was laid off.

1 Like

It always depends on what alternatives are available to both the employee and employer.

If people with a similar skill set will accept 20% less for the privilege to “work from home”, that sets the market rate.

Once I realized I could live off a LTB&H investment portfolio with 3 or 4 hours of “work” per year, there was no amount of money you could pay me to sit an an office, 40 hrs/week.

intercst

4 Likes

Hiring new people to work from home must be a challenge. How do you train them?

Training people in the office has to be easier. In the office until they learn the company, the products, its policies, and procedures, etc.

Letting experienced employees work from home is reasonable but new employee trainee working from home is problematic.

Sometimes we cross train but the technology exists to share computer screens and hand control back and forth. Full audio and visual. So training can happen even without breathing each other’s air. Just like standing next to a desk. Same with questions.

2 Likes

Letting experienced employees work from home is reasonable but new employee trainee working from home is problematic.

Depends on a lot of things. I’ve currently got an open position; if I’m ever lucky enough to find someone to fill it (dang it’s been a slog…), it will be someone with experience. Many companies in our industry use much of the same software and procedures don’t vary that much. And the industry is guided by a lot of regulations. So someone with experience, coming into the job will know the basics of the work itself, and maybe some of the software.

We have a lot of videos and training to help people, things like that. I’ll probably spend a week with the person (meet with them at the nearest branch) for a week, then let them work at home, then back for a refresh in a month or so.

It’s not the job training that’s especially difficult, but it is getting people to understand the culture. Our culture has really…dissipated since people started working at home. Lots less collaboration, all communication thru email (does NO ONE want to actually speak anymore??). I find that frustrating.

1 Like

It’s not the job training that’s especially difficult, but it is getting people to understand the culture. Our culture has really…dissipated since people started working at home. Lots less collaboration, all communication thru email (does NO ONE want to actually speak anymore??). I find that frustrating.

Not sure what industry or jobs you are talking about since your post was vague on that but:
Pickup the phone, video chat, meet once a week if needed. Not everyone likes to be in person as you do. I’ve heard this “culture” thing and when you look at where people work mostly in 8x10 cubes, having to wear certain clothes, have to be careful what one says in case another is offended, not able to get anything else done, then having to be available when you are not in the 8x10 cube. I could go on and on and I’m generalizing of the masses from what I have seen. The culture they claim is not a good one at all. You might have a wonderful place with window seats for everyone that opens, waterfalls, private bathrooms, gym, indoor pool, access to a full array of food and drink, butlers that help with your every need, plants abound, pets to pet, on-site daycare and so on.

1 Like

Well said, Edith Keeler.

Its all about finding and hiring the right person.

Would you promote from within? Hire a trainee?

That right person will want a premium salary.

Promoting from within lets you further develop a promising candidate. Who might appreciate a nice raise with a promotion but still be well below what you would pay that right person.

Promoting from within lets you further develop a promising candidate. Who might appreciate a nice raise with a promotion but still be well below what you would pay that right person.

Sure that would be nice. But no internal candidates have applied.

The best employers work to develop the skills of their staff.

These days if the road ahead is blocked its easy for them to find opportunity elsewhere. Then company becomes the trainer of replacements.

1 Like