70% masks off

More than 70% of Americans can take off their masks indoors with new CDC guidelines on COVID risk
www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2022/02/25/covid-cdc-indo…
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced guideline changes allowing most Americans to unmask indoors, which health experts say may be the first step in shifting the U.S. to an “endemic phase” of the pandemic.

The agency said in a news briefing Friday afternoon it will be using different metrics to determine whether to recommend face coverings. Under the old guidelines, masks were recommended for people living in communities of substantial or high transmission, which applied to roughly 95% of U.S. counties.

Now, in addition to caseloads, the guidance also will consider hospitalizations, current beds occupied by COVID patients and hospital capacity. The new metrics would put more than half of U.S. counties – where more than 70% of Americans live – in areas of low or medium risk, according to the CDC data.

Here’s a searchable map to check out your county:
www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/covid-by-count…

DB2

2 Likes

Here’s a searchable map to check out your county

Maybe Jeff ‘Flying Dutchman’ Ormont can come home someday.

DB2

1 Like

More than 70% of Americans can take off their masks indoors with new CDC guidelines on COVID risk

That’s just CDC’s recommendation. My county is listed as high but the county dropped mask requirements today.

PSU

I compare local mask requirements with the case rate and test positivity rate.

It’s a wonderful way to measure the intelligence of local leadership. Large swaths of America are still no-go zones for me until they wise-up.

intercst

I compare local mask requirements with the case rate and test positivity rate.

“Now, in addition to caseloads, the guidance also will consider hospitalizations, current beds occupied by COVID patients and hospital capacity.”

Follow the science.

DB2

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailycases_…

No masks in Florida

<<>

“Now, in addition to caseloads, the guidance also will consider hospitalizations, current beds occupied by COVID patients and hospital capacity.”

Follow the science.

I have little contact with hospitals. I’m more worried about an unmasked/unvaccinated yahoo infecting me in an enclosed area.

The science seems to be to mask up if the case rate in the immediate area is more than 10 per 100,000 and the test positivity rate is more than 2%.

https://discussion.fool.com/mask-vaccine-calculus-35057481.aspx

intercst

5 Likes

No masks in Florida

I’m boarding a plane today to Florida.

PSU

1 Like

<“Now, in addition to caseloads, the guidance also will consider hospitalizations, current beds occupied by COVID patients and hospital capacity.”

Follow the science.>

As a scientist, I always follow the science.

I also carefully read the fine print.

The concern of the public health authorities, from the beginning of the pandemic, has been to prevent the health care system from being overwhelmed with patients. They are looking at hospitalizations the way an engineer would look at a dam that is in danger of being overtopped by flooding of the artificial lake it’s holding back.

The authorities are not concerned with weak to moderate infections that do not bring people to hospitals. However, this is not trivial to me. my brother and sister and a good friend have all had verified “breakthrough” Covid infections after being fully vaccinated and boosted. Jeff only had a day of feeling unwell since the infection occurred a couple of weeks after booster, so his immune system was fully triggered. My sister and friend felt quite sick for a week but not bad enough to go to the hospital. I don’t want to get that sick.

I am over age 65. I received my booster in October 2021. I have asthma and a long history of nasty bacterial lung infections secondary to mild virus infections. I don’t have a spleen so I’m missing part of my immune system.

I report my health status to two different research programs, “Outbreaks near me” and “ZOE,” which has 4.7 million contributors. The statistics are based on these large voluntary population studies, which are good data. (Self-selected to be more tech-savvy than average.) Also data from public health sources, such as the age of the population and frequency of hospitalization.

https://covid.joinzoe.com/us-2

Millions of people will be doing risk-benefit analyses which are balanced against the annoyance of masking and the desire to get back to normal. Most people are highly emotional rather than rational. Many unvaccinated people will be unmasked.

Where does the science lead me, given my individual risk factors?

I would love to go back to my exercise classes at the YMCA when my county shows low risk (it’s currently high)… but would I be safe? The CDC recommendations are based on the availability of hospital beds. I don’t want to get sick, even if I don’t get sick enough to go to the hospital.

What do you think?
Wendy

7 Likes

What do you think?

I agree. There’s no reason to volunteer for a COVID infection by ignoring the transmission rate in your area (or where you’re traveling to.)

A COVID death rate that won’t overrun the hospitals is probably about 2,000/week, 1 million per year. It looks like American society has decided that’s an acceptable loss. Since most of these victims are volunteers who are ignoring the science (i.e., unmasked/unvaccinated), the death toll is actually raising the nation’s average IQ.

I won’t be going back to “business as usual” until COVID deaths get down to the 20,000 to 70,000 deaths per year we see from the seasonal flu. I suspect it will be a while.

intercst

3 Likes

What do you think?

I’m totally ready to dump the mask. We live in a low rated county. We’re going to a small public event tomorrow afternoon and then to a Tower of Power concert in Plymouth, MA on Friday night. Both venues are still requiring masks. I’m fully boosted and ready to get back to some sort of normalcy.

I’m just over it.
'38Packard

2 Likes

38Packard,

<<I’m totally ready to dump the mask. We live in a low rated county. We’re going to a small public event tomorrow afternoon and then to a Tower of Power concert in Plymouth, MA on Friday night. Both venues are still requiring masks. I’m fully boosted and ready to get back to some sort of normalcy.

Sure. Massachusetts is reporting a statewide COVID test positivity rate of 2.19%, no doubt it’s less if you live in a wealthier, more educated part of the Commonwealth.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-response-reportin…

Texas is reporting 14% and Florida 12% – both are “no-go zones” for me. I’ll wait for Darwin to finish up his work.

intercst

1 Like

I would love to go back to my exercise classes at the YMCA

Why? I picked up a new exercise bike, $229 at WalMart, last fall, as, after 7 years the belt on my old one wore out, and the manufacturer no longer offers replacements. Magnetic resistance, so quiet enough to watch TV or listen to the stereo. Crank off two 5 mile stints/day Monday through Friday.

Steve

4 Likes

Texas is reporting 14% and Florida 12% – both are “no-go zones” for me. I’ll wait for Darwin to finish up his work.

Sounds good to me! Maybe Tower of Power will be coming your way soon?

'38Packard

• who LOVES a large, tight, grooving band LIVE!!!

Texas is reporting 14% and Florida 12% -

Michigan isn’t that Shiny. 7.91% positive rate as of yesterday. New cases/day are about a tenth what they were in January. Currently 1522 people in hospital, vs 4901 on January 10th, but compared to 278 last July.

Steve

Some people like social interaction,Steve. You know, in person.

JK

1 Like

Some people like social interaction,Steve. You know, in person.

Personally I like humanity, it’s people I can’t stand.

Desert (Soon to open an 11 foot pole mail order business for people you wouldn’t want to get within 10 feet of.) Dave

I’m just over it.
'38Packard

A-Ma-Zing.

Trying to respond with reality, I got Zenuued.

So, the real truth is:

1. Masks are 99.9% effective. Wear them with pride and smiling compliance. Masks work.
  2. Vax’ing guarantees immunity. Vax and boost as soon as you’re allowed. It works.
  3. The virus is extremely lethal. Take care. Sometime therapies can require ICU hospitalization. It works.

There, fixed it!

1 Like

BrerBear writes,

A-Ma-Zing.

Trying to respond with reality, I got Zenuued.

So, the real truth is:
1. Masks are 99.9% effective. Wear them with pride and smiling compliance. Masks work.
2. Vax’ing guarantees immunity. Vax and boost as soon as you’re allowed. It works.
3. The virus is extremely lethal. Take care. Sometime therapies can require ICU hospitalization. It works.

There, fixed it!

No. You originally responded with misinformation. Nobody claims that the COVID vaccine or masks eliminates infection. It just greatly reduces the chance of infection and death.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7104e2.htm

During October–November, unvaccinated persons had 13.9 and 53.2 times the risks for infection and COVID-19–associated death, respectively, compared with fully vaccinated persons who received booster doses, and 4.0 and 12.7 times the risks compared with fully vaccinated persons without booster doses.

intercst

6 Likes

Personally I like humanity, it’s people I can’t stand.

If you haven’t been watching “All Creatures Great And Small” you have been missing a good time.

Anyway, the vet who owns the practice in the series, Siegfried, said to his new hire vet school graduate “it isn’t the animals that are the problem. It’s the people who cause all the bother.”

Steve…missed the original series in the 70s, delighted with the remake

3 Likes