Alteryx announces earnings date and rises 15%

Why was Alteryx up 15% earlier today, and still up 11%, when all they did was announce their earnings date? (Weds, May 5). My guess, which is unfounded in data, is that a lot of Alteryx skeptics were assuming they would pre-announce that they had missed their estimates because of the pandemic, and they didn’t pre-announce anything. That seems like a flimsy reason for it to be up so much, but does anyone else have any other ideas?

Saul

23 Likes

Just a guess… There’s been heavy short interest, 22% as of yesterday. I agree that announcing an earnings date wouldn’t normally create such a pop. But, in our current environment, maybe it was enough to jump start a short squeeze?

Brian

3 Likes

Or maybe the bump was influenced by the Seeking Alpha article today entitled, “Alteryx: Current Price Is A Steal”, which concluded that Alteryx is undervalued by 97%.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4336285-alteryx-current-pri…

Mal

17 Likes

Or maybe the bump was influenced by the Seeking Alpha article today entitled, “Alteryx: Current Price Is A Steal”, which concluded that Alteryx is undervalued by 97%.

I have no better guesses, but I don’t think it was the article. It came out a couple days ago. I remember because I’ve been debating with people in the comment sections about gross margins (I’m RangerTwo).

2 Likes

Why was Alteryx up 15% earlier today, and still up 11%, when all they did was announce their earnings date?

It’s kind of amazing how one of our stocks will carry the ball for a time, then another takes over and keeps us moving up. This week, with all the trolls in attack mode, Zoom was down all of 3%. (It’s up 83% year-to-date by the way). On the other hand, Alteryx picked up the slack, and rose 32% this week!!! And it was just a four-day week!! On no news! I feel sorry for those people who were manipulated into selling out of Alteryx a week ago. It’s been a strange world, but if you’ve stayed with our stocks you should be up somewhere around where I am. My portfolio is up 13.2% year-to-date (You are probably close to that, although different weightings of our positions and some variation in companies will cause variation). Keep courage. There will probably more swoons, we just don’t know when, but we’ll come out of them.

Best to you all

Saul

A link to the Knowledgebase for this board is in the Announcements panel that is on the right side of every page on this board.

For some additions to the Knowledgebase, bringing it up to date, I’d advise reading several other posts linked to on the panel, especially “How I Pick a Company to Invest In,” and “Why My Investing Criteria Have Changed,” and “Why It Really is Different.”

31 Likes

Maybe it was for the same reason that I brought my AYX position back up well into double digits this morning.

“It was time!”

Dan

Why was Alteryx up 15% earlier today, and still up 11%

Has anyone noticed this behavior with all the Saul et al stocks?
A peak in gains sometime during the day but then a drop by the end of the day?
This has been happening for the last 2 months or so, maybe 3.
Sector rotating back in, then the Corvid-19 virus. Cold feet? Algos playing it safe?
January and February it was almost predictable to happen around 12:30pm-1:00pm.
Now, lately, my gains can be peaking right at market open.
Today high point was at end of first hour.

Has anyone noticed?
I have. I grabbed that 4% today, turned it into cash, before it evaporated.
Been doing this for the last 2-3 months.

Coming soon to a forum near you, “The MoneySlob Method”.

MoneySlob
Saul Fan
27.74% YTD

1 Like

Momentum trading in highly volatile market. Money rushes into the market all day and then runs out at night, back to the safe haven of cash. Wake up tomorrow and do it all again. As long as the VIX is at extremely high levels, the game is afoot.

2 Likes

Momentum trading in highly volatile market. Money rushes into the market all day and then runs out at night, back to the safe haven of cash. Wake up tomorrow and do it all again. As long as the VIX is at extremely high levels, the game is a foot.

I grabbed that 4% today, turned it into cash, before it evaporated.

Hi Money Slob,

Our board is not for day-trading. Please do not post any more short-term trading posts on this board. There are plenty of other board that would welcome them.

thanks

Saul

11 Likes

Yeah, sorry. I thought about that this morning.
Definitely off topic. I should be allowed one of those.

I never looked at it like day trading.

I was just playing whack-a-mole. Not buying, just grabbing spikes.

My right brain noticed an unmistakable pattern and just wanted to share it.
Kakamamee way of paying it forward out of gratitude.

I still follow your knowledge base methods.
Buy and hold on good convictions. No options, no shorting.
I still roam the earth preaching the Saul gospel.
Made a lot of friends from here to Costa Rica that way.

Cheers,
John A Davis
aka MoneySlob

10 Likes