AMBA chips in this new flying camera

CMF Jambo shared this awesome video of this new camera on a couple of the paid boards belong to for AMBA. He wondered if tho new camera uses AMBA chips…

So I emailed their customer service this morning. And they emailed me back an answer this afternoon – Yes it does. :slight_smile:

I feel so investigative! :slight_smile:

Karen

The camera looks totally cool:

Lily Cam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vGcH0Bk3hg

29 Likes

That looks amazing. I just pre-ordered one!

Neil

1 Like

Really? Cool!!

I’ve never really wanted a GoPro, but this to me is a game-changer. I’m a skier and it’s compelling. 10 years ago this was un-dreamable, at least by me. Now available for $500. Sheesh.

but this to me is a game-changer

Agree that it is totally cool; however,

From the Specs:

Battery & Power

Built-in Lithium-Ion Battery
20 min of flight time
Charging via 5A charger
2-hour charge time

This gives it limited use as a sports action camera in my view (20 minutes is one run on an average ski slope). When they get the battery life up to a couple of hours, I’ll agree that it will have a better chance to go head to head with GoPro.

Also, how the laws and regs get established around the wide-spread use of drones is a question that remains.

On a more positive note, I am very happy to see AMBA breaking into the drone market.

Swift…
Long AMBA

2 Likes

This gives it limited use as a sports action camera in my view

I personally got this for the family photos and videos, not sports. Seems like a wonderful and fresh way to capture the moment for outdoor family events, especially when people are naturally spread out a bit. Or the kids doing just about any outdoor activity. Can you imagine what the soccer and little league games will look like in 5 years with drones hovering all over? :wink:

I’d also be all over this thing if I were a real-estate agent, or I had a vacation home, or I was in tourism, or any other industry either selling large things or marketing outdoor spaces or activities.

20 min of flight time

I have no doubt that specs and performance will improve over time, and that other companies will come out with competing products too. It’s just the beginning of the category.

This is the first time I’ve really thought about the drone market as something real for AMBA – I was aware of it, but it didn’t really hit me until I saw this. It now seems clear to me that, barring disastrous regulation, there will eventually be a large market for personal drones. I don’t own shares of AMBA anymore, but I may need to take a fresh look at the company again.

Neil

2 Likes

I have visions of two drones colliding and falling in the way of a receiver waiting to catch the winning touchdown …

I’d also be all over this thing if I were a real-estate agent, or I had a vacation home, or I was in tourism, or any other industry either selling large things or marketing outdoor spaces or activities.

I’m trying to figure out a way to use it at golf tournaments.

Brian

My friend is a full time ski instructor at a ritzy Utah resort. I can certainly see him using this to thrill his clients.

Neil:

This is the first time I’ve really thought about the drone market as something real for AMBA.

This is probably the SoC that Lily is using:

THE AMBARELLA H1 SPORTS AND FLYING CAMERA SOC supports 4K Ultra HD H.264 video encoding at 60 frames per second for high­speed live-action recording with smooth slow-motion capabilities. The H1 also supports the new H.265/HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding) video standard for 4K Ultra HD encoding at up to 30 frames per second, providing higher image quality at lower bitrates as well as faster video uploads and higher resolution video streaming.A new generation of Image Sensor Pipeline (ISP) with High Dynamic Range (HDR) processing delivers high quality video and high megapixel photos even under extreme lighting conditions. The SoC also includes advanced Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) for stable video recording during windy or high motion conditions.The Ambarella H1 integrates a hardware de-­warping engine supporting 360-degree panoramic cameras. In addition to 4K Ultra HD encoding, it also supports 1440p (QHD) video at 120 frames per second and 1080p video at 240 frames per second, for smooth slow-motion playback. The integration of a 1.2 GHz dual-­core ARM® Cortex®-­A9 CPU with floating point and NEON™ provides significant processing power for customer applications including analytics and wireless networking. Its USB host provides connectivity with 4G/LTE solutions.

http://www.ambarella.com/products/sports-cameras

Developed specifically for flying cameras.

Best, Swift…
Long AMBA

3 Likes

I really don’t see 20 minute battery life as a big constraint. Before I shot most of photos with my phone I used a Samsung camera. I always carried a couple of extra batteries because they would run dry.

I don’t anything about this device, but so long as the battery compartment is easily accessible and the battery isn’t terribly cumbersome (not likely, the thing flies, battery has to be lightweight a relatively small) I think carrying a couple of extra batteries is probably no big deal.

Nice! I posted this over on the RB GoPro board last night and wondered the same thing about AMBA, but didn’t really know how to find out.

Nice detective work Karen!

I don’t anything about this device, but so long as the battery compartment is easily accessible and the battery isn’t terribly cumbersome (not likely, the thing flies, battery has to be lightweight a relatively small) I think carrying a couple of extra batteries is probably no big deal.

Their website says no battery replacement available.

FrickNFool

FrickNFoll
So, you’ve confirmed my comment that I don’t know anything about this device. S’pose I coulda looked at the website . . .

They talk about the decision for a non-replaceable battery in the FAQ.

Very cool drone and something my kids loved when I showed them the video. However, I can see a time in the not too distant future where Ski resorts start banning these types of drones. My family and I do season passes at Copper Mtn in Colorado, and if these become popular, there isn’t going to be a way for the resort to contain them other than an outright ban.

2 Likes

One drone is fun … a dozen is an accident waiting to happen.

I can see designating specific ski runs where you can use your drone, or risk getting kicked off the mountain by Ski Patrol if you use it on other runs. That would actually work, and (nearly) everyone would be happy.

Saul

Or maybe resorts could rent a limited number of drones out and ban private ones. The larger drones are mostly automated, and that will get even better in the near future

.They are dangerous unless very small,. . Those rotating blades are like little knives, and if a drone hits you at top speed (or worse yet when both you and the drone are moving) it is going to do some damage

I fly small non automated quadcopter drones for fun and they are not easy to fly, any lapse of attention or fumble fingers and they will crash. It’s probably a lot easier for young people who have been raised on two handed controllers for video games.

A dozen cars on the road don’t cause accidents but early on they wanted people to walk in front of them so they would not scare the horses. Self driving technology can be adapted to drones.

I’m much more interested in the commercial application to inspecting farms, battle fields, remote installations like pipelines and oil fields. One day they might even carry robots to fix whatever they find amiss.

Just keep them out of my back yard, I want some privacy when naked sunbathing. LOL

Denny Schlesinger

2 Likes