AMBA: new products for drones

Ambarella Extends Industry’s Widest Range of Flying Camera SoC Solutions

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ambarella-extends-industry-wid…

The products offer some important features target at the drone market: low power, light weight, high resolution, and real-time feed to the drone pilot/drone observer.

“Ambarella, Inc. (AMBA), a leading developer of low-power, HD and Ultra HD video compression and image processing semiconductors, today announced the addition of A12S and A9SE to its range of camera solutions for drones, or flying cameras. The Full HD A12S SoC family enables a new generation of entry-level flying cameras, including small form factor designs and racing drones; while the 4K Ultra HD A9SE SoC family is ideal for midrange designs. Both deliver outstanding high-resolution video, DSLR-quality photography, live HD video streaming and advanced image stabilization. A comprehensive flying camera SDK (Software Developers Kit), including Linux® and complete camera functionality, gives application developers the ability to differentiate their products with advanced camera, flight control and networking features.”

7 Likes

This is the part that stuck out to me which was lacking on the previous drone chip release.

“A comprehensive flying camera SDK (Software Developers Kit), including Linux® and complete camera functionality, gives application developers the ability to differentiate their products with advanced camera, flight control and networking features.”

They mentioned on a previous presentation a while back they were working on an integrated offering to compete with that of qualcomm. Could it be this is it or at least a step in that direction?

drones to require registration

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/feder…

I expect more more punitive or at least restrictive measures to follow

There is no right to keep and fly drones. It is a privilege not a right At the least we can expect licensing of drone flyer, registration numbers on or in the drone and not to be flown in urban areas.

It is not a question of whether drones will eventually fail in flight, endangering all below them, but when they will fail.

It is not a question of whether drones will eventually fail in flight, endangering all below them, but when they will fail.

Decreasing size (weight) of drones should help a bit. Will people start wearing hardhats?

1 Like

And, if the drone is carrying a case of beer?

If the drone is carrying beer, expect lots of drones to be shot out of the sky. Of course many will miss. That will be a lot of bullets flying around.

With regard to actually delivering products, any products, what happens if the drone accidentally drops the beer in my yard? If I was expecting a beer drop anyhow, and received a drop and drank it all immediately? Then the neighbor or drone cop show up telling me I drank someone’s package, who would be the responsible party? That is a concern. As well as the fact that opening up somebody’s mail other than your own is illegal.

Will that mean that you need permission to fly over my airspace? I believe my property rights go into the air to a certain elevation, I just don’t know how high. Maybe the drones have to stay above streets and public areas… Lots of questions.

3 Likes

Actually increasing the size (parachute effect) and decreasing the weight both would make them safer. In my community any kind of R/C aircraft ate limited to a flying area in a park far from my home. And flying even the tiniest one require a expensive photo ID card/license… This despite the fact that some are too small and slow to cause any damage and others weigh many pounds and can go over 70 mph.

I would be surprised if most regulations and/or laws are any more sensible . This is the government after all.

a person’s real property ownership includes a reasonable amount of the private airspace above the property in order to prevent nuisance. A landowner may make any legitimate use of their property that they want, even if it interferes with aircraft overflying the land."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_rights

otherwise a neighbor could build on his land but cantilever his house over your front yard. Air above 500 ft above ground level is definitely the equivalent of navigable waterway. Nobody can own it. Below 500 ft rules seems to e vary a lot.

1 Like

Hi Gaucho Chris,

Amba was once the largest position I had in my taxable portfolio. Since it’s drop, my quadruple has fallen to a double but I’m still a hold.

Are you expecting it to regain its former glory?
Mykie
Long time, no speak (me)!