AMBA's all time high.

Someone pointed out on the AMBA board that yesterday was an all time high for AMBA. I posted the following as a response:

Personally I think it was due to Karen finding out that the Lily drone camera was powered by AMBA. I’m actually not joking. I’d guess the word spread like wildfire. I know Lily’s just a very small company, but this opened people’s eyes to what was possible with drones, and how AMBA could benefit. I strongly doubt that the Lily YouTube film and AMBA’s immediate huge rise over the next two days was just a coincidence.
Saul

Congratulations to Karen. Great initiative!

I’d like to send an email to SWKS to ask a question as Karen did with Lily, but I can’t find an email address on the SWKS website. I’d appreciate it if someone could direct me.

Saul

1 Like

Saul & Fools,

Can’t speak to that directly Sual, but I do think that investors are starting to see a future where drones are a part of our personal and commercial lives. Given AMBA’s current lead in camera SoCs technology, this can only be good news for the company.

Yesterday, the New York Times had an important article about the use of drones in commercial agriculture. This technology is quickly pushing government to get clear on what uses will be acceptable. As these laws and regulations jell new markets will grow quickly, IMHO. To understand the opportunity in Ag, I suggest you read the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/16/us/drone-flying-farmers-on…

In February, the Federal Aviation Administration proposed new rules that would allow people to fly small unmanned aircraft for commercial reasons. Drone operators would have to be certified and to keep their devices in sight at all times during flight. If the regulations are approved, after what could be a lengthy period of public comment and evaluation, there will be implications across the country: Drones could be used by construction workers, firefighters, filmmakers and others.

But few are as excited about this technology as farmers.

The Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International, an industry group, said that it expected agriculture to make up 80 percent of the market for unmanned aircraft after commercial flight is allowed.

“It’s invaluable,” said Corey Jacobs, a corn farmer who lives in rural Indiana. Mr. Jacobs, 28, used to spot weeds or weather damage by walking miles through his cornstalks in 100-degree heat. Now, he simply launches a drone.

Best, Swift…
Long AMBA
AMBA Ticker Guide

5 Likes

Thanks Swift, Granted the New York Times might just possibly have more impact than that YouTube video, but that was an incredible video!

Saul

1 Like

Coming from a farm and ranch background and with family members still running cattle, I can sure see that a drone would be a handy little gadget to have on the place. Instead of taking the ATV out to check cattle and fencing you could just do a fly by once or twice a day. During calving time it could be a great help, making sure you don’t loose a cow or calf with labor problems. Checking water, and mineral boxes. Amazing world, for sure, and a long way from when I used to help Dad and my brothers milk by hand. I can still remember when we got automatic milking machines, and a milk tank for storage, 1963. I thought we had really arrived. Man if my Dad could see checking cattle from the back porch with a drone and laptop. What a world.

13 Likes

I’d like to send an email to SWKS to ask a question as Karen did with Lily, but I can’t find an email address on the SWKS website. I’d appreciate it if someone could direct me.

Saul,

You’ve created such a wonderful board, it is often my first stop in the morning, my only complaint, it has developed into such a rich and in depth conversation that there are now so many (great) posts each day, it takes more and more time to read!

The posters attracted here have a wealth of knowledge and wisdom, and many, far more proficient than I at stock investigation and evaluation, I am mostly a lurker, as I don’t feel I have more of value to add to most conversations, though I am here daily.

However, I may have found some info relevant to question above, and if it is possible that I can, in this way, provide some little bit if information that is helpful, I would be delighted. (Though this might be what you already discovered, so, maybe I will just retreat back to lurker mode…)

I found this email address on the contact page, however it may only be the email to use in regards to making comments on website. It pops up when you click on “Website Comments” where the notation is: “To give us feedback.”

webworks@skyworksinc.com

Perhaps more useful for garnering information would the the “Request more Information” contact, which is not an email, but an internal contact form you fill out, here:

“To request more information on specified products or technology, please fill out the following form:”

http://www.skyworksinc.com/RequestInfo.aspx

Hope this may be of some little help.

okapimoon—grateful for all the bucketloads of help she gets as lurker on board

5 Likes

Hope this may be of some little help.

Hi Okapimoon, Thanks. I actually wanted to ask a question about competition so I just sent off an email to the only actual email address they have, which is in the sales department. Here’s what I wrote:

I really wanted to email your Investor Relations Department but I couldn’t find an email address for them. Perhaps you can answer my question or forward it.

My question is: I’ve heard that Qualcomm is a growing competitor of yours, but I’ve also heard that you work together in important ways with Qualcomm (whatever that means). Which of the two is correct? Or are both correct? Or neither? Thanks.

Since this is Saturday I probably won’t get a reply until Monday at the earliest, but I’ll post it on the board when I get it.

Saul

4 Likes

I really wanted to email your Investor Relations Department

From an AMBA IR press release

Deborah A. Stapleton
deb@stapleton.com

Ambarella Announces Q1 FY 2016 Earnings Conference Call to be Held June 2, 2015

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ambarella-announces-q1-fy-2016…

Denny Schlesinger

1 Like

From an AMBA IR press release

Hi Denny, Sorry, we were talking about contacting SWKS in a little side discussion on the AMBA thread. My mistake for not clarifying. SWKS doesn’t seem to have an IR email address. I did try using your method of looking on a press release, but they only have a telephone number.

Sorry for the confusion.
Saul

Great post oologah!

Railway companies are another excellent customer for drones:

One need not look to the wild blue yonder to find the BNSF air force. Soon, it will be patrolling BNSF tracks from altitudes no higher than 500 feet, but not within three miles of any airport and always during daylight hours.

Such are the restrictions imposed by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in granting BNSF authority March 12 to operate lighter than 55-pound drones—unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) as they are formally known. So far, BNSF—which was a pioneer in the design of Positive Train Control (PTC)—is the only railroad that has sought such FAA authority.

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/safety/bnsf-drones-will-…

Swift…
Long AMBA

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion.

Not a problem. Strange they don’t publish any email addresses, I guess they don’t like handling mountains of SPAM. I’m the webmaster for a local marina and we get tons of it even after blocking a large number.

Denny Schlesinger

If the FAA nails down the rules for drone usage, I would think a lot of media companies would jump on the chance to use it.
In tennis and golf tournaments they use Blimps for aerial photoshots of the layout of the courts or the course. Same with football, the Drones’ could presumably be used instead?

I was also thinking of Border security using it to patrol the borders.

Kris

1 Like

Drone operators would have to be certified and to keep their devices in sight at all times during flight.

If this stipulation becomes part of the regulation it will put a damper on adoption of drones, even for farmers. If you have even a gently rolling field keeping the drone in the line of sight at all times may be extremely difficult. But then, I suppose it would also be pretty labor intensive to prove that the stipulation had been violated.

What I’m getting at is that a few seemingly innocent words can raise all kinds of havoc. I’m one of those guys who believe that regulations are good and necessary and look after the public welfare. The problem is that the process for creating regulations and then modifying them in light of practical problems is too lengthy and open to delays and disputes.

At times the democratic process can be very frustrating. It seems we’ve reached a point such that everything ends up being a partisan issue instead of a fact based debate with the common goal of benefiting the general public.

1 Like

Keeping a drone within line of sight makes it a variety of radio controlled model aircraft and spoils the whole idea of automated self leveling , true remote control, GPS, return to user etc…

Will people be forbidden to use helium filled balloons, fly a kite etc?. Will birds be outlawed?

There are already FAA regulations keeping real aircraft above 500 ft and away from airports at low altitudes unless landing or taking off. Leaving the space below 500 feet mostly clear.

It does seem to me that drone owners should be required to put their name and contact data on all drones in case they cause damage. Because being fragile , hitting anything is likely to cause them to to crash.

There is the privacy issue but that applies to binoculars too…

With any innovation there are always old fogies, “I don’t know what it is but I’m against it” types and industries, in this case maybe airlines. These industries usually have 100% interest focused on themselves, the public good be damned.

1 Like

There is the privacy issue but that applies to binoculars too…

Certainly nothing like in the same way. With the right fence one can expect privacy in an enclosed space, but a drone can violate that in an instant. When drones become common, they will necessarily change our ideas of privacy dramatically.

And, I think we can count of people doing a lot of stupid things with them!

1 Like

If this stipulation becomes part of the regulation it will put a damper on adoption of drones, even for farmers. If you have even a gently rolling field keeping the drone in the line of sight at all times may be extremely difficult. But then, I suppose it would also be pretty labor intensive to prove that the stipulation had been violated.

I think people should be able to do what they want with drones on their own private property. If the drone can use GPS so that it knows the borders of the property then an electronic fence should suffice to ensure that the drone stays on the property and has no chance of falling out of the sky onto someone’s head who is not on the owner’s private property.

1 Like