AMBA-US Navy to install drones on 100's of ships

Not sure if AMBA will provide the chips but it sure shows drones going mainline.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/06/politics/drones-aircraft-carri…

New Navy contract aims to equip hundreds of ships with drones

Wed January 6, 2016
Drones have become critical to the military’s effort to combat terrorist activity globally

The new seaborne drone system would combine vertical takeoff and landing with the ability to fly long distances

Washington (CNN)The Pentagon is hoping a multimillion-dollar investment in new technology will enable drones on hundreds of Navy ships to provide air support to operations around the globe.

The goal of the “launch and recovery” system, as it has been dubbed by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or DARPA, is to provide airborne surveillance and drone strikes from the decks of “forward-deployed small ships” without having to deploy aircraft carriers or large, fixed land bases.

The $93.1 million contract was awarded to defense contractor Northrop Grumman on December 24 as part of DARPA’s Tactically Exploited Reconnaissance Node program, which aims to enable drones to operate from smaller ships, according to a Pentagon press release.

8 Likes

Saul, here’s another use for drones that I didn’t see coming:

The Walt Disney Co. has taken the next step in integrating drones into its fireworks shows at Disneyland and Walt Disney World: it has applied to the Federal Aviation Administration for what’s called a Section 333 exemption, which allows a company to legally operate drones commercially. Currently, it is illegal to operate a drone for commercial purposes, though that’s expected to change in 2016.

The drones would fly preprogrammed flight paths and emit LED lights at various intervals, lighting up the sky. Up to 50 drones at one time might be used for nightly firework shows, according to details included in the Section 333 exemption request.

From http://www.marketwatch.com/story/disney-may-fly-50-drones-at…

I am beginning to think I might have seriously underestimated the market for drones. Even if regulations are coming for personal use, there might be a lot of business and military applications for them I never considered.

Matt
MasterCard (MA) Ticker Guide
Long DIS

8 Likes