Annual Report Whispers...

Don’t we usually see price movements shortly before the release of the Annual Report? I have memories of prices moving a bit up or down allegedly based on the general tone (or maybe actual numbers). Any validity to this? Or is it coincidental? Maybe less these days if the physical AR is printed after it is released to the internets?

Obligatory questions for ‘Jim from Monaco’. Considering how concentrated many of us are in BRK, what is the highest percentage of assets that one should keep in BRK? Where else can we look? Recently, Jim Sloan mentioned his major investments were BRK, Parker Hannifin (PH) and Bank of America (BAC). Any thoughts about these, especially PH since I’ve never seen it mentioned here.

Thanks, in advance.

SD

Obligatory questions for ‘Jim from Monaco’. Considering how concentrated many of us are in BRK, what is the highest percentage of assets that one should keep in BRK?

I frequently recommend as high as “half of investment portfolio” to people, without losing sleep at night. (mine or theirs).
Personally I’m over that percentage, as are many people here on the board, but that doesn’t count as advice.

I don’t have a lot of picks at the moment suitable for starting a position at current prices. (not that I ever do).
I like Carmax (KMX) here. Not a back-up-the-truck price, but I’ve been adding lately.

I like cash. Picture a patient vulture.

Jim

24 Likes

Picture a patient vulture.

I’m sure Jim is doing himself a disservice here.

I try to avoid reaching for a mental image of vigilant patience coupled with avidity, for this reason: suddenly, my mind’s eye is liable to be confronted with the face of Bruce Flatt, which for a person of quiet habits and retiring disposition can come as quite a shock:

https://www.welt.de/finanzen/geldanlage/article175233207/Inv…

Obviously I jest. But still, I can’t shake the feeling he’s missed the opportunity to cultivate a Snidely Whiplash mustache.

suddenly, my mind’s eye is liable to be confronted with the face of Bruce Flatt, which for a person of quiet habits and retiring disposition can come as quite a shock…

I know what you mean~~

A post of mine about Brookfield from late 2017
"Besides, I’m shallow and old fashioned. I like to judge a firm by its face.
What word would you use to describe this fellow?
http://thumbnails.cnbc.com/VCPS/Y2013/M08D09/3000188060/6ED2…
I bet you didn’t pick “avuncular”.
(note for future readers when that link is dead: it really doesn’t matter what photo of Bruce you substitute,
he still looks like a sentient falcon about to devour your puppy with a nice Chianti)
from https://discussion.fool.com/but-ultimately-for-a-company-like-br…

Note, the comment was intended to be humorous. Mostly.
However, there is some surprisingly interesting research on the physiognomy of the boss and stock returns.
In one study, people who knew nothing about investing or the faces of bosses were (statistically) able to pick the successful firms from the poor ones by judging the face of the CEO.
Mr Buffett came out quite well on the test.

Jim

11 Likes

Here’s are some photos of falcons and i do think they signify calm, cool, graceful, intelligent, awareness of the surroundings, taking in all kinds of information and considering the options and then, making a decision to take action or take a joy ride. :slight_smile:

https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/peregrine-falcon

4 Likes

I like cash. Picture a patient vulture.

more often, i see people reminiscent of the image of the two vultures on a sixties poster with one saying to the other, “patience hell, i’m gonna kill something”.

best,

mike

1 Like

Patient Vulture Yacht Club

1 Like

Oooh, I like it.
Anybody’s nephew a digital graphic designer?

I could go kill something–there’s always money to be made somewhere–but I’m just too dang lazy at the moment.
I’ll wait for something obvious to smack me in the face.

Jim

2 Likes

Before we finalize the logo, I think we have to decide, is it a vulture or is it a raptor?

Vultures don’t look great, but there’s no point fearing them. And once the animal is dead, why waste all those valuable proteinaceous assets?

1 Like

I like the name Vulture however, I think vultures will eat anything…falcons perhaps are more selective…

There is a poster by the name of Peregrine Falcon……hmmmm, let’s put our collective falcon minds together to come up with something. :slight_smile:

<<Before we finalize the logo, I think we have to decide, is it a vulture or is it a raptor?>>

There is only one Avuncular Apex Predator and he resides near the banks
of the Missouri River.

On a serious note I am reading lots of articles in the WSJ about the strong
demand for LNG in Europe and elsewhere given the large percentage of
Russian natural gas supplied to Europe. Berkshire manages the Cove
Point facility which is the largest LNG operation on the East Coast
and BRK owns I think 1/3 of the operation. Makes me wonder if they
are running at full capacity.

2 Likes

Would be quite easy for this board’s illustrious Patient Vulture Yacht Clubpersonages make the Patient Vulture NFTs more valuable than Bored Apes.

Also in keeping with the tradition of this board to do the things at the end that the wise man does at the beginning. Like, you know, avoiding the hubris of being able to beat the index…

On a serious note I am reading lots of articles in the WSJ about the strong
demand for LNG in Europe and elsewhere given the large percentage of
Russian natural gas supplied to Europe. Berkshire manages the Cove
Point facility which is the largest LNG operation on the East Coast
and BRK owns I think 1/3 of the operation. Makes me wonder if they
are running at full capacity.

I suspect they are doing a very good business these days. As part of the transaction with Dominion Energy by which BRK obtained its interest in the Cove Point facility, they also acquired thousands of miles of natural gas pipelines. See https://www.naturalgasintel.com/berkshire-hathaway-taking-ov… and https://www.brkenergy.com/our-businesses/bhe-gts. I suspect those pipelines feed into Cove Point, so that should also be good for BRK.

3 Likes