Appears I was too optimistic

I figured Putin would occupy the rebel held areas, enough to satisfy his vanity, and call it a day. Apparently not.

Russia attacks Ukraine as defiant Putin warns US, NATO

MOSCOW (AP) — Russian troops launched their anticipated attack on Ukraine on Thursday, as President Vladimir Putin cast aside international condemnation and sanctions and warned other countries that any attempt to interfere would lead to “consequences you have never seen.”

Big explosions were heard before dawn in Kyiv, Kharkiv and Odesa…

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/russia-attacks-ukraine-…

I’m surprised no-one else posted about this evening’s events. But then the USian media barely touched it. I turned on the TV at 10:30 to see that CBS had broken in to report the invasion, then went back to usual programming. The late local news gave it about 3 minutes, then went on nattering about the usual local things. After the late news, the networks went on with their usual late night comedy programs, as if nothing of impact was going on. Their lack of interest is quite amusing, considering the daily hysteria, since the start of December, about the potential of a Russian invasion. I would suppose they got the ratings for their earlier coverage and decided people were not interested.

US stock market futures down about 2.5% Crude at $97.68

Steve

2 Likes

What’s next?

My guess, a land bridge from Ukraine to Kaliningrad through Poland. Would the US dare risk nuclear war to stop it?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/02/21/ukraine-i…

intercst

1 Like

… a land bridge from Ukraine to Kaliningrad through Poland.

I would think a land bridge from Belarus through Lithuania. Belarus is having a referendum this coming weekend, on some Constitutional changes, including dropping the language on neutrality. The chattering class is saying the intent is to make Belarus a defacto Russian satellite.

Poland and Lithuania are both NATO members, so, as long as NATO stands together, that would be a lot for Putin to chew.

Chattering class says Putin’s ambition is to reassemble all the territory that has ever been part of Russia, including the Baltic states, Poland, and Finland. Finland is the only one not currently in NATO. Will the Finns think that their official neutrality makes them immune from Putin? Or will the Finns move to join NATO, before Putin has had enough time to consolidate his position in Ukraine and set his sights on the next target?

Steve

1 Like

But then the USian media barely touched it.

Wait until they figure out how to spin it to please their paymasters.

The Captain

1 Like

Reuters was trumpeting the invasion, about 10:30pm CST, last night.
The mainstream YouTube news outlets, too.

But, like you, I saw no comments here.

:eyes:
ralph

Wait until they figure out how to spin it to please their paymasters.

They have been chattering, for weeks, about how pushing back on Putin’s ambition will make the stuff people want cost more, so they have already been pushing their paymaster’s agenda.

Steve

They have been chattering, for weeks, about how pushing back on Putin’s ambition will make the stuff people want cost more, so they have already been pushing their paymaster’s agenda.

Moments after posting that comment, the local noon news ran another horror piece warning prices in general, and, especially gas prices, will soar. And, if the US pushes back with sanctions, the Russians will cut off our power, cut off our water, cut off access to our money. The obvious takeaway is “can’t push back, gotta let Putin do his thing without opposition”.

Steve

1 Like