Arcam Q1 results

70% sales growth (30% organic). 10 system orders (almost 1 per week).
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/arcam-interim-report-january-m…
Ant

1 Like

Apparently the market wasn’t impressed, down 10%. Buying opportunity?

Arcam seems to be a permanent buying opportunity. Nothing seems to translate into share price.

arcam and the other 3d printers had gotten wildly ahead of themselves. The big names fell apart and the whole sector got trashed with a bunch of people getting out of everything related to 3d printing. I like it when this happens because generally stocks stay depressed, their earnings build as they eventually become good deals.

Arcam seems to be a permanent buying opportunity. Nothing seems to translate into share price.

Hi tamhas, Their earnings for the quarter were 21 Swedish Korona cents, which comes to all of 02 and a half US cents! They were selling at $19 US. Now if you multiply the quarters earnings by four, it would give them 10 cents US earnings for the year. I think that’s why they sold off. People are starting to say “Where’s the beef?”

Hope this helps explain it.

Saul

5 Likes

Hello,

“Where’s the beef?”

I agree that is why the stock price is down today. IMO Arcam should be
viewed as a development-stage company. They have developed traction in aerospace and medical implants. Aerospace, has a large runway for growth and they recently expanded their presence in the US and UK to provide service to this growth. The EPS was depressed by their doubling of capacity to construct machines. They also added capacity to the acquired powder company. Management is doing the necessary things to realize on a growth opportunity and there was nothing in the quarterly report to indicate that growth is slowing. Their margins will improve with better capacity utilization going forward.

Best,

Mike

1 Like

Considering the early pre chasm state of EBM I am happy to see any earnings at all. Watch sales instead, the multiple paid-for-by-somebody - else research projects have yet to be incorporerated in the machines they are building. In baseball terms, Arcam is in the early part of the second inning, the final score is yet to be decided. They don’t even have to hit home runs to win, a steady flow of singles and doubles will do it for them.

All the “easy” advances have been made in aircraft, it is a mature industry. So the main way to increase performance will be to make parts that are both stronger and lighter, something that is painfully slow using additive manufacturing and aluminum.

Lighter aircraft use less fuel, and fuel is by far the biggest cost factors for airlines. I think they “have gone about as far as they can go” with squeezing pasengers in unless they make you stand the whole trip.

1 Like

I think they “have gone about as far as they can go” with squeezing pasengers in unless they make you stand the whole trip.

Perhaps they could come up with something like those Japanese “hotels” which provide a coffin-size slot for each person … although I’m not sure the packing density would be much higher than the micro-seats they have these days.

1 Like

So the main way to increase performance will be to make parts that are both stronger and lighter, something that is painfully slow using additive manufacturing and aluminum.

I think that might be a typo: subtractive manufacturing?

Denny Schlesinger

right I meant to say subtractive manufacturing… Which is a very old mature process dating back at least to the first primitive man that made a hand axe out of a lump of flint.