https://www.wsj.com/personal-finance/baby-boomer-wealth-transfer-women-5776d3a5?mod=hp_featst_pos3
Baby Boomer Women Are Now Deciding the Fate of Trillions of Dollars
With baby boomers aging and the gender gap in lifespans growing, more women have the final word on how the family nest egg gets parceled out
By Oyin Adedoyin and Katherine Hamilton, The Wall Street Journal, Jan. 18, 2025
Women are reshaping the biggest wealth transfer in modern history.
A record number of Americans turn 65 this year, and more women are set to outlive their husbands as female lifespans lengthen relative to men’s. As a result, women aren’t only stockpiling wealth from their own careers but also getting the final word on how the family nest egg is parceled out.
And they are handling the money differently than their husbands by switching financial advisers and investing more with an eye toward longevity. They are redirecting money to charity and allocating more to long-term healthcare…
American women over 60 last year controlled some $8 trillion of liquid wealth assets…Women’s wealth as a whole has grown by about 80% since 2018, outpacing the 62% growth in total wealth over that span…
Men are the primary financial decision makers in about 60% of affluent U.S. households…To avoid some of the pitfalls, many women are taking a more active role in managing finances before their husbands die. …
Women tend to invest with more of a focus on protecting capital by holding stable assets and bonds with long-duration yields…But that isn’t always the case, even for women focused on making their money last… [end quote]
Every household is different. If there are two partners (married or unmarried) the decision-making process will be different than a single-person household. And the presence of children (minor? grown? natural or step?) will complicate matters further since there can be a continuous drain of gifts as well as inheritance to consider. (DH and I don’t have children but my sister has children and grandchildren so I observe this.)
I have always managed my own money. I didn’t even meet DH until I was 34 and by that time I had already invested for over a decade and already owned my own home. When I moved in with him I set up a “house account” for regular joint expenditures (utilities, food, etc.) and we continued to manage our own assets separately even after we married 5 years later (in 1993).
I am more risk-averse than DH but I see this as a good thing. My objective isn’t to maximize wealth. (I can see @intercst jumping up and down and shaking his head, LOL!) My objective is to live my usual modest LBYM lifestyle with confidence that I will not run out of money even given the wild and unpredictable swings in the financial markets. My low-risk portfolio is a solid foundation. DH’s higher-risk portfolio can add gravy…but if the market turns bad I can feed him.
I met an elderly woman whose husband invested all their money in the stock market in 1999 and lost everything when the bubble popped so they were forced to move into a one-bedroom apartment. (That wouldn’t happen to us since I own our home but it’s still a cautionary tale.)
I am more interested in long-term planning so I was the one who set up long-term care insurance and researched the credit shelter trust to minimize state death taxes. I wrote a point-by-point instruction sheet for actions to take if I die first since DH has never been an executor.
But this is only one way to manage household finances. Every household will be different. In my opinion, the only wrong way is for only one person to make all the decisions without knowledge and input from the other. Whether the husband or the wife is left out of the loop that increases vulnerability.
Wendy