Been a long time

Man, it’s been years since I posted here. I thought it might be nice to stroll around the place, one more time, before the lights go out on so many other boards. I spent so much time here, back in the day - and admittedly, being horribly wrong about the long-term prospects of AMZN. Laughably so, looking back.

It looks like this board is going to survive the Foolpocalypse, though.

Albaby

2 Likes

It looks like this board is going to survive the Foolpocalypse, though.

One has to assume that TMF has “done their homework”, and come to the conclusion that their ROI is inadequate to justify the resources needed to administer the boards.

I don’t have access to their numbers, but I completely disagree with their decision. Could be fatal.

Prediction:
TMF will find out that they have made a very poor biz decision, and rescind their direction.

I was wondering if anyone would notice my post here! There’s a lot of empty corners in the financial side of the Fool boards that are not going to disappear, and which will be available for folks to have a quiet conversation in. So long as those conversations are not too ‘loud,’ I don’t think anyone kick up a fuss.

Anyway, I think that this is probably not a terrible move on their part, and one that was likely a long time coming. Once they decided they were going to update their board software (probably driven by the pay side), there was no longer any reason to keep the four or five heavily travelled ‘culture war’ boards around. Certainly not enough to pay to migrate decades of heavy usage to the new system.

https://discussion.fool.com/i-wonder-if-tmf-underestimates-that-…

Albaby

Yeah… I can’t even remember my last post on Amazon. Nice to see you’re still kicking around, Albaby - not many of us old guys still here.

I can’t even remember my last post on Amazon.

Post 58538, 9/22/2010 11:40 PM. (Adjusted close, 151.83)

Post 59334, 4/14/2022 5:04 PM. (Adjusted close, 3,034.13)

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/AMZN/history?period1=1284940…

Surely all they have to do is charge those who want to post or just view other boards a fee, say $50-$100.00 a year and that will fill their coffers nicely. Would you be prepared to cough up? I would. Surely they will announce this shortly?

<>branmin
Surely all they have to do is charge those who want to post or just view other boards a fee, say $50-$100.00 a year and that will fill their coffers nicely. Would you be prepared to cough up? I would. Surely they will announce this shortly?

Me?

I’d go $5 a month. (=$60 per annum for my math challenged buds.)

Easily slip that into the ‘budget’.

(To be honest, it’s a thought I’ve had for some time; didn’t want to unleash a nasty lucre motive.)

The idea that going from free to paid would not result in a mass exodus is pretty funny.

Since I subscribe to Stock Advisor and Rule Breakers I am already paying. SA is $99 the first year, $199 after that. Personally it has been the best financial decision I’ve ever made. I started after I was retired, in August 2009, with X. Today I’m at about 8.8X, having withdrawn more than I started with. It very much changed my life.

2 Likes