Billionaire Fear-Societal Collapse/Climate

These patricians believe their wealth can save them. It always has.
This guy was flown in on commercial airline then driven 3 hours to a private airstrip where the billionaire flew.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2022/sep/04/super-rich-prep…

The next morning, two men in matching Patagonia fleeces came for me in a golf cart and conveyed me through rocks and underbrush to a meeting hall. They left me to drink coffee and prepare in what I figured was serving as my green room. But instead of me being wired with a microphone or taken to a stage, my audience was brought in to me. They sat around the table and introduced themselves: five super-wealthy guys – yes, all men – from the upper echelon of the tech investing and hedge-fund world. At least two of them were billionaires. After a bit of small talk, I realised they had no interest in the speech I had prepared about the future of technology. They had come to ask questions.

They started out innocuously and predictably enough. Bitcoin or ethereum? Virtual reality or augmented reality? Who will get quantum computing first, China or Google? Eventually, they edged into their real topic of concern: New Zealand or Alaska? Which region would be less affected by the coming climate crisis? It only got worse from there. Which was the greater threat: global warming or biological warfare? How long should one plan to be able to survive with no outside help? Should a shelter have its own air supply? What was the likelihood of groundwater contamination? Finally, the CEO of a brokerage house explained that he had nearly completed building his own underground bunker system, and asked: “How do I maintain authority over my security force after the event?” The event. That was their euphemism for the environmental collapse, social unrest, nuclear explosion, solar storm, unstoppable virus, or malicious computer hack that takes everything down.

This single question occupied us for the rest of the hour. They knew armed guards would be required to protect their compounds from raiders as well as angry mobs. One had already secured a dozen Navy Seals to make their way to his compound if he gave them the right cue. But how would he pay the guards once even his crypto was worthless? What would stop the guards from eventually choosing their own leader?

The billionaires considered using special combination locks on the food supply that only they knew. Or making guards wear disciplinary collars of some kind in return for their survival. Or maybe building robots to serve as guards and workers – if that technology could be developed “in time”.

It’s as if they want to build a car that goes fast enough to escape from its own exhaust
I tried to reason with them. I made pro-social arguments for partnership and solidarity as the best approaches to our collective, long-term challenges. The way to get your guards to exhibit loyalty in the future was to treat them like friends right now, I explained. Don’t just invest in ammo and electric fences, invest in people and relationships. They rolled their eyes at what must have sounded to them like hippy philosophy.

I knew the ultra rich likely had problem like the hoi polli–just different problems. I just never knew how far out they were.
I wonder if any of these guys considered that their rapacious never-ending pursuit of wealth was possibly the cause of a future plebeian revolt/unraveling of society or climate change?

After the meeting the author has been innodated by calls from real estate agents that specialize in disaster-proof listings, “a company taking reservations for its third underground dwellings project”, and various security firms. I wonder he asked for a fee to make an introduction to the ultra-rich patricians? LOL

11 Likes

Heck, their own children will probably murder them as their circle becomes too constricted.

david fb

3 Likes

Not just billionaires! Reminds me way back in the late ‘50’s when the great fear was nuclear war and many with the means were building survivable fallout shelters. I was in an upper-class neighborhood at a friend’s when we observed a fallout shelter being unobtrusively constructed at a neighbors.
My friend and I both irreverent college students went over to observe the endeavor. The builder recognized my friend and immediately confessed to his plan and emphasized that my friend’s father better start building his shelter. My friend without a pause said “nah if it comes to survival, we will just get some teargas and a shotgun and take yours”. Needless to say, he didn’t appreciate the comment.

A few citizens in Mt Dora went about constructing a much more potentially survivable shelter at about the same time.
Deep Beneath Mount Dora’s Streets Lies A Colossal Cold War Secret - YouTube

RAMc

4 Likes

I wonder if any of these guys considered that their rapacious never-ending pursuit of wealth was possibly the cause of a future plebeian revolt/unraveling of society or climate change?

Presumably they are way too preoccupied monitoring and advancing their own position on that Fortune 500 list.

2 Likes