Brightline LA to Las Vegas breaks ground

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/high_speed_rail/news/Brightline-West-breaks-ground-on-high-speed-rail-line–71756?oly_enc_id=0240G5852612I5U&utm_medium=email&utm_source=prdailynews&utm_campaign=prnewsletter-2024

" Brightline West, the private intercity passenger-rail company, held an official ground-breaking ceremony on what will become a 218-mile, high-speed rail line connecting Las Vegas to Southern California.

"will run within the median of I-15 with zero grade crossings. The system will have stops in Las Vegas and Victor Valley, Hesperia, and Rancho Cucamonga, California.

" zero-emission, fully electric trains capable of speeds of 200 mph.

1 Like

Wonderful everyone wants to go to Rancho Cucamonga. :joy: At least they didn’t end the line in Victorville.

Andy

I read somewhere that’s about 40 mi from downtown LA. In LA I suspect a big parking lot is much more important than going downtown.

Looks like it could be a high traffic route. Wishing them much success. If so maybe good things will follow.

Route down the middle of a freeway with no grade crossings sounds like a good idea. I wonder how many overpasses will have to be rebuilt. And do passengers get to the stations?

Will have to check it out when done.

2 Likes

I agree Paul it is exciting but just wish they would have gone to the coast but I am sure that costs are a problem. But you can fly from Las Vegas to San Diego for about 40 dollars so it will be hard to compete with that.

Andy

They’ll get a lot of curiousity business at first, and if the seats are wide and plush, rather than ridiculously tiny as most airline seats are these days, there might be a sustaining business there.

I do wonder why they’re only aiming for 200mph. There are trains that run a third again faster. Is topography an issue, or are they afraid of kids putting pennies on the tracks or something?

1 Like

The Ceo is claiming that ticket prices might be 400 dollars.

Brightline to Launch High-Speed Train from L.A. to Vegas - AFAR.

Andy

I wonder what fares are like Washington DC to NYC by Acela.

Eastern Airlines used to have a shuttle that flew every hour I think.

Do you want to ride airport to airport or downtown to downtown? And I’ll bet the fares have quite a differential.