Climate change

The war in Ukraine makes me wonder about the usefulness of solar panels and windmills as alternatives to other forms of energy.

The risks involved in losing energy to large areas of the country due to terrorist or even severe weather comes into play here. The windmills and the solar panels on homes would be easy to target if some foreign or domestic state wants to cripple communications.

Lucky Dog

3 Likes

The war in Ukraine makes me wonder about the usefulness of solar panels and windmills as alternatives to other forms of energy.

The risks involved in losing energy to large areas of the country due to terrorist or even severe weather comes into play here. The windmills and the solar panels on homes would be easy to target if some foreign or domestic state wants to cripple communications.

Seems the opposite is true. It’s a lot easier to target a big coal plant with a few missiles, and a few substations and major power lines coming in, and take out power to a region of hundreds of thousands of homes than it is to target tens or hundreds of thousands of solar systems and windmills.

24 Likes

Seems the opposite is true. It’s a lot easier to target a big coal plant with a few missiles, and a few substations and major power lines coming in, and take out power to a region of hundreds of thousands of homes than it is to target tens or hundreds of thousands of solar systems and windmills.

I would think that cutting off power to someone’s home would be a low priority in an invasion. More important would be the industrial base, communication centers, military/government control, etc.

DB2

2 Likes

I would think that cutting off power to someone’s home would be a low priority in an invasion. More important would be the industrial base, communication centers, military/government control, etc.

True but by the time the conversion to solar is done most electricity will be local. The grid’s job will be to even out things instead of total delivery. In Portugal lots of street utilities have their own solar panel. Roofs have water heaters and solar panels. Every bit helps.

The Captain

4 Likes

I have yet to see a rapid charging station capable of recharging a platoon of EV tanks.

JLC

3 Likes

I have yet to see a rapid charging station capable of recharging a platoon of EV tanks.

And what is your point, exactly?

That we should not convert large numbers of cars in the peace loving regions of the world to BEV because wars need tanks that can be refueled quickly?

Mike

1 Like

And what is your point, exactly?

That too many people have lost their sense of humor.

JLC

3 Likes

=========================================================

Well a nuclear power plant is a prime target if you want to do maximum damage to a country.

You do not need attack the reactor building. Just cut off all external power to the nuclear plant and blow up its cooling water intake structure and the nuclear plant will have a core melt disaster like Fukushima.

Jaak