Comcast reluctantly agrees to stop its misleading “10G Network” claims

I wondered about that – seems to me that if someone actually had 10G there would be more publicity about it.

Comcast reluctantly agrees to stop its misleading “10G Network” claims | Ars Technica

intercst

1 Like

Wow… at least one thing that I can say I am not overpaying for…

they offer:

“The Comcast “Gigabit Pro” fiber connection that provides 10Gbps speeds costs $299.95 a month plus a $19.95 modem lease fee. It also requires a $500 installation charge and a $500 activation charge.“

My provider 10G service for $59.00 (Singapore dollar, about USD 45 per month):

• FREE TP-Link Archer AXE300 (worth $799)
  • FREE Home Phone Line with unlimited local calls
  • FREE Termination Point installation (worth up to $163.50 for new customers with no prior TP)
  • 24-month Subscription

I’ve not recontracted yet so am on a 1GB plan which gives me about 400Mbs download speeds connecting to a service across the Pacific. Likely to upgrade from 1G to 10G as it will be the same monthly fee but with a 2 year lock in period.

I have to overpay for a lot of things but at least bandwidth isn’t one of them

2 Likes

How is it a 1GB plan if you are getting 400mbs? With a 10GB plan do you get 1GB? It is really hard to get 10GB to anyone so I am assuming they are using the “Up to 10GB speeds” Clause when the network becomes congested. I have one more question for you JDC. What would you use 10GB for?

Andy

Wait. What? Comcast lies? I’m shocked, SHOCKED.

I fired those lying frauds in 2010, and never looked back.

Steve

1 Like

Really? Who’d a thunk?

I have fiber into my home, my speed is not quite 400Mbs but seems faster than when I pay:

Speed test resuslts:
DOWNLOAD Mbps377.13

As far as what I would use it for, I have no idea. I don’t think having a faster connection will change anything on my end as far as streaming and web surfing.

I use to work IT in the early 2000’s for a company that was working on Video conferencing. We had the entire office of about 150 people on 2 T1 lines (1.54mbs x 2) when I got there. Eventually convinced the CFO that it wasn’t enough and managed to get it upgraded to 10Mbs using a fractional DS3 which cost about 10k per month as well as required a server rack worth of equipment about 6ft high. the entire office was happy as Napster worked so much better,

2 Likes

He did say that was when connecting across the Pacific Ocean. For more local connections, it could easily be 1GB, although that isn’t mentioned.

–Peter

1 Like

Ahhh the good old days.

Andy

Usually when running a speedtest you want to pick the server closest to your location. If you are paying for 1GB and getting 400 mbs that would be a concern for someone in the United States, If you are getting 900 mbs I wouldn’t worry about it. Then again if you are working with a cell phone all those numbers go out the window because with a wireless connection they have all types of reasons why you are not getting your preferred speed.

Andy

To test the best speed of the connection, yes. But if my main use is to connect across the Pacific Ocean, that is what I want to test to be sure it meets my needs.

–Peter

Peter, you do not get to pick the route of the connection nor what routes are up or down. What routes are busy or how it is going to get from your connection to where it is going. That is why your provider will not guarantee anything once it leaves their network. That is also why most of them have their own server they want you to test your speeds to. With all the pops you are bouncing through on the way to your destination you can never know how fast you will get there.

Andy

1 Like

I think you missed something. Or perhaps I read something into it.

My understanding is the he lives in Singapore and needs to connect to a server in the US. Even if we don’t know the route, we know it’s going across the ocean.

I may have misunderstood things, but that is the situation I was talking about. You might be paying for a 1 Gig connection in Singapore, but that performance is going to drop when you’re going 1/3 to 1/2 way around the globe.

—Peter

Also understand i am on an iPad over wireless and not hardwired to the router. I am not exactly sure wireless speeds but the “bottleneck” maybe the distance from the couch to the wall and not the pacific ocean

1 Like

I could pick a server close by just to validate the actual performance but that is not likely real world usage. I think the concern for somebody in the US wouldn’t be so much paying for 1gb and getting 400mbs as much as having to pay so freakin much for internet as well as rent the router.

The people in the USA pay nearly the highest price of anywhere in the world for their home Internet access. We also pay almost the most for wireless data. In most places, renting the modem/router, if avoidable, is just plain bad budgeting. You pay them $7-18/month for a device that you can buy for $99 or $199, and take with you whenever you move.

Random link from first google search result - Internet Cost by Country 2024

The cost is different for everyone. I can get 1 gig for 60 dollars a month all in for life but I choose 200 meg for 40 dollars a month because I do not play games on line or need for the speed.

Andy

I am just telling you how your broadband provider thinks about it Peter. I used to work for a large Telecommunication Company and they all look at it the same way. They only care about their network not on what is going on in another network. That is probably why I do not think anyone calls their broadband companies anymore and tells them they are unable to reach an internet address, yet before the internet people called all the time complaining they couldn’t reach a long distance number. The network for the internet is more complicated than the network for the TDM (Plain old Telephone) network.

Andy

How stupid do you think I am? Didn’t I already say this?

Peace Peter, I wasn’t trying to upset you. Have a great Weekend.

Andy

1 Like

My mobile plan is $18 per month for 80GB data and 500 mins of voice. I think I use about 5 mins of voice per month, I am 1/3 into the month and have used 4.5GB of the 80GB.

Since my monthly payment for 1GB was the same as the 10GB plan, I just moved to the 10GB plan. The difference is having to lock into a 2 year commitment but not really a big deal since I been using the same subscriber for close to 10 years now.

While I already have Fiber into the home, they have to come out to do an install which I guess will be a new modem so there is a $30 one time fee.

1 Like