Common and "Uncommon" Stocks I'm h

All my stocks are common stocks in one sense of the word, but some are uncommon in that they rarely (if ever) get mentioned in this forum.

I have Facebook, Berkshire Hathaway, Nike, Skechers, Skyworks, Twilio, Hortonworks, Shopify, Under Armour, Silver Spring Networks (SSNI), and Ubiquiti Networks. These are stocks that everyone here knows about. Most have done pretty well.

I wish I had bought Amazon the last time it had a major dip. I just never got around to it.

Here are some less-known stocks I’ve held for a while, and will probably continue to hold most of them: Kingstone Insurance (KINS), Deluxe Corp. (DLX), Argan (AGX), Factset Research Systems (FDS), NASDAQ (NDAQ), Greenbriar (GBX), ING Bank (ING), Fairfax Finaicial (FRFHF).

I’m also “betting against” Sears (SHLD) and Valeant (VRX) by holding puts that don’t expire for a long time (1/2018 and 1/1019). I think both of these have a good chance of going to zero or near-zero. I learned not to short a high-flying respected/popular stock just because it seems way overpriced to me (e.g. Shopify, Amazon, Monster Beverage, Netflix, etc., though I’m skeptical about Monster).

Some of my current sketchier stocks, where I’m not sure I should have gotten involved, or simply bought at the wrong price, are Bsquare (BSQR), Under Armour, Canadian Solar (CSIQ) (sold at a moderate loss), Solaredge (SEDG), Kroger (KR). I also have some doubts about SSNI, but I’m still holding it. I should do some research into that one, looking into management quality and prospects.

5 Likes