Consumer issue

I’m glad this board is surviving in a new form. I am also, I admit, glad that TMF is taking a more active management and updating role in the boards overall. I’ll miss some of the quirky stuff, but not the political stuff. I still think that there is a significant opportunity to consider aspects of life that are tied to finances. As an example, financial records and decluttering. Saving money by improving health. Stuff like that.

In any case, as to actual consumer issues, our credit card number was stolen last weekend. The person who stole it proceeded to order lots of stuff from DoorDash over the next few days. An odd choice, because I would think that’s pretty traceable.

ThyPeace, would always make sure a hungry person has enough food, but would prefer to be asked first.

2 Likes

Maybe, maybe not. For one, Door Dash can deliver more than food. Use a burner phone, a burner email, and a public delivery place, and you can get a lot delivered if not in a completely untraceable way, at least one that’s tough to pin down.

For another, sometimes credit card thieves make small test purchases to prove the card works so that they can then either sell the card info on the black market as “verified” or use it to make a big purchase that they then either use or fence.

Regards,
-Chuck
Home Fool

Maybe I’ve been listening to too many ‘true crimes’ podcasts…

3 Likes

If someone is smart enough to use a burner phone, a burner email, and have things delivered to a public place, you’re right, that would be tough to trace. I suspect first-time criminals are not that smart and tend to get caught. But folks who are taught by someone else, or have learned the lesson in some other way, maybe get away with it.

In any case, they ordered from local (non-chain) restaurants, which means it was stolen around here, plus a couple of places like 7-Eleven and Dairy Queen. I hope they enjoyed the meals and snacks.

ThyPeace, Fidelity dealt with it quickly, which I appreciate. We got our new cards today.

Oh, I hate when I have to deal with fraud. It’s happened several times over the years.
The CC companies are never a problem, but it’s the wait for the replacement, and then having to update all the accounts that are automatic. Ugh!

Stealing credit card numbers really should be deemed illegal. (oh wait…)

T.

2 Likes

For another, sometimes credit card thieves make small test purchases to prove the card works so that they can then either sell the card info on the black market as “verified” or use it to make a big purchase that they then either use or fence.

Chuck, that is one of the things to watch for and why it’s so important to check your accounts often. I’ve had this happen several times where I noticed charges of 64 cents, etc. That’s the clear tip off. They want to see if you’re paying attention.

T.

5 Likes