Costco's Winning Formula

Costco’s Winning Formula: No Increase in Membership Fee or Hot-Dog Price
https://www.barrons.com/articles/costco-stock-earnings-valua…

Results for the May quarter, released Thursday, showed a company operating at rock-bottom margins, allowing the lowest prices possible for customers. And management ruled out an imminent increase in its annual membership fee, while dismissing speculation about a price rise for its popular soda and hot-dog combination, which has cost $1.50 since the 1980s.

They say that every hotdog you eat takes 34 minutes off your lifespan. That improves retirement security, making it less likely you’ll run out of money.

intercst

5 Likes

They say that every hotdog you eat takes 34 minutes off your lifespan.

They say every time somebody says eating a hotdog will take 34 minutes off your lifespan it takes 34 minutes off of their lifespan.

Why do these unprovable claims continue to live on the web?

2 Likes

They say that every hotdog you eat takes 34 minutes off your lifespan.

The dog’s lifespan is cut in the bud!

The Captain

An oriental gentleman was introduced to hotdogs.

He asked if he could have a different cut…

1 Like

Don’t forget the rotisserie chicken !!

They say that every hotdog you eat takes 34 minutes off your lifespan. That improves retirement security, making it less likely you’ll run out of money.

So every time I eat a hot dog that means I can increase my SWR! Cool.

AW

They say that every hotdog you eat takes 34 minutes off your lifespan. That improves retirement security, making it less likely you’ll run out of money…which has cost $1.50 since the 1980s.

And you say you always do the math? Reducing your retirement from 30 years to 20 years lets you spend 5% instead of 4%. Assuming it scales from 10 years to 34 minutes (TLDR: it doesn’t) cutting your lifespan by 34 minutes lets you spend 0.0000065% more. With a $2M portfolio, that’s $0.13 a year increased SWR, or, over your 30yr - 34minutes lifespan, $3.90.

So spend $1.50 on the hot dog and then get an extra $2.40 over the rest of your slightly shorter life. Homework: should you buy the hot dog from a Roth or Traditional?

3 Likes