dishwasher hose

In passing, the plumber mentioned that the dishwasher hose might need to be replaced soon. Not urgent, but he said I should “put it on your list”.

Does anyone have suggestions about the best hose to get? I’m seeing braided stainless when I google. He seemed to like the braided stainless under our sinks.

Just soliciting opinions.

TIA,
1poorguy

Dishwasher hose?? I am assuming you mean the drain hose. I have never seen anything other than flexible polymeric stuff. For that I would just get a replacement from the manufacturer.

If you are talking supply hose, yea I would get the braided metal stuff like used on washing machines & toilets. And if the plumber said you need a supply hose, I would put that on the top of my To Do list – way higher than replacing a seriously leaking toilet flapper.

1 Like

Yes, it was the supply hose. He did say it wasn’t urgent, but I should put it on my list. I have to figure out if I can get to the hose at the dishwasher. Hopefully I don’t have to pull the whole thing out. He said it may be accessible from the front kick-plate, but wasn’t sure. He was dealing with its connection to the shutoff only (which is easy).

I’ll have to get under there to see.

Recent work on the kitchen drain work led to having to pull our dishwasher out by the plumber’s guys, I heard a crack, and sure enough, the old plastic faceplate cracked as they lifted it… I told them not to mess with it,I dug out the part number, ordered a replacement, 6 screws and a bit of moving some of the buttons to the new faceplate and I was done…

So if you do have to pull it out, just be careful, might save a few buck$…

Your dishwasher probably has to have a flexible water connection so it can be pulled out and replaced.

There are stories of flexible connection hoses failing in time. That can result in quite a flood.

Anyone know how long they last? 10 years? More than the life of a typical dishwasher?

There are stories of flexible connection hoses failing in time. That can result in quite a flood.

Anyone know how long they last? 10 years? More than the life of a typical dishwasher?

A plain rubber hose is a ticking time bomb. Under 50-60psi of water pressure, a weak spots develops and the hose stretches/swells until it eventually bursts. A flex hose wrapped in braided SS will easily last the life of the dishwasher.

1 Like

In passing, the plumber mentioned that the dishwasher hose might need to be replaced soon. Not urgent, but he said I should “put it on your list”. - 1pg

I have to ask.

If the plumber was already on site to make that observation, why not ask him to take care of it right then and be done with it?

2 Likes

It isn’t really a rubber hose. It is a translucent red that seems to have a mesh of fibers embedded in it. I suspect it is a synthetic material like nylon (though probably not nylon).

1poorguy

The company charges by the job, not by the hour. I could have asked him, but then it would have been a couple hundred more bucks. I can change a hose. In fact, in my old house I pulled the DW and installed a new one. Not too worried about that.

They also are recommending a new water softener. They make their own units with a five year warranty on the electronics, and a 10 years warranty on the tank/resin. Ours is near end of life (about 15 years old). I’m sniffing around. Prices at HD or Lowes don’t include installation, and I suspect they are not first quality nor have a warranty for more than 2 or 3 years.

1poorguy

It is a translucent red that seems to have a mesh of fibers embedded in it. I suspect it is a synthetic material like nylon (though probably not nylon).

Could be PVC. Could be EPDM (rubber). Could be polyethylene (PEX).

The reinforcing fibers you can see might be nylon or polyester.

Does anyone have suggestions about the best hose to get?
I’d probably go with a line with stainless steel braid exterior. I think that’s pretty much the default now anyhow. I do see some with “braided polymer” exterior for sale -they look pretty similar with a grey braided exterior, probably because the stainless braid is the default expectation.

Before you think to death the replacement supply hose, you might want to consider a somewhat simpler question. Who will install the next dishwasher? Are you certain you will be that installer?

I ask this because within the last 5 years or so, the installations by the likes of HomeDepot have required to install a new top of the line metallic braided hose – it does not matter if the hose on the replaced unit was installed a week earlier.

Good chance it would be me. If not, I’d call the plumber. I wouldn’t buy a DW at HD (or Lowe’s). Generally low-end stuff.

In fact, the plumber gave me the same advice about the hose: don’t buy at HD or Lowe’s or Ace. Or Amazon. Go to a supply house, get it there. Better quality. I’d probably go to a good appliance store for a new DW.