NOG
MRO
OXY
CVX
FANG
COP

Safe haven at this point

1 Like

We know that oil stocks will decline with oil prices in a recession. We know that cease fire in Ukraine could make Russian oil available in the west and trim oil prices.

I’d say oil is a risky investment. It will be tricky to buy now and hold for a year in a taxable account. Better in an ira.

And recall that climate change advocates plan to shut them down. First coal; then oil; then natural gas.

Who will survive in a shrinking industry? Destined for decline.

2 Likes

I agree. Oil is dying. Several car companies except to be exclusively EV within the next 10 years.

Spikes in gas prices, for example, move people to look more closely at EVs. It happened in 2008 (or thereabouts), and it looks like it’s happening now. Just one datapoint, our daughter. She loves her little Mazda, but she’s shopping for an EV because she has a 20+ mile commute, and gas prices are biting her hard.

I’d say oil is a risky investment

Not sure I’d say risky, but your opinion is well-taken.
…climate change advocates plan to shut them down. First coal; then oil; then natural gas.
Who will survive in a shrinking industry? Destined for decline.
Safe haven doesn’t mean LTH. Ending oil demand will take decades.

oil prices in a recession. We know that cease fire in Ukraine could make Russian oil available in the west and trim oil prices.

We may disagree about recession. Inflationary pressures do not necessarily mean that we are destined to move into a recession… In fact current inflationary pressures are tied to increased GDP and demand.

The war in Ukraine will go on for years… The Russian Military model in Syria is what you can expect in Ukraine. Russia is making more from oil, selling less than before the war began.
Putin will continue this effort until there is not one hut standing in the entire country.

China will end its covid shutdown and increase demand for oil

Goldman Sachs predicted oil could reach $140 a barrel this summer. However, you could be right and global recession could end the demand for oil. Oil did reach $120 a barrel two weeks ago. And oil/energy stocks are rebounding from a sell-off this month, I expect energy stocks to remain flat to modest increase

2 Likes

I’d say oil is a risky investment

https://discussion.fool.com/barron39s-9-aristocratic-stocks-for-…