Enphase 2Q Earnings

Revenue 2Q up 68% Y/Y
Net income 2Q up 96% Y/Y
Good guidance
ENPH up 9.5% pre market

Enphase Energy Reports Financial Results for the Second Quarter of 2022

We reported record quarterly revenue of $530.2 million in the second quarter of 2022, along with 42.2% for non-GAAP gross margin. We shipped 3,348,553 microinverters, or approximately 1,213 megawatts DC, and 132.4 megawatt hours of Enphase® IQ™ Batteries.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/enphase-energy-reports-financ…

Solar has Crossed the Chasm and is here to stay!

Denny Schlesinger

13 Likes

Enphase® IQ™ Batteries.

https://enphase.com/homeowners/home-solar-batteries

This marketing website sucks cause it’s not “copy” friendly.

• Scalable - the home owner can “start small and add units”.

• Low voltage DC avoids the dangers of high voltage DC.

• compatible with a backup AC home generator.

• web connected for westher tracking, OTA* system updates, remote control, all the “automated” controls IoT promises.

• first micro inverter based-storage system that meets performance criteria of UL 9540A unit level test for thermal runaway fire propagation in residential indoor wall mounted systems.

May 9, 2022 (this is also a marketing piece).
https://www.globenewswire.com/en/news-release/2022/05/09/243…

Belgium, Germany.
Now, IQ Batteries can also be installed with both single-phase and three-phase third-party solar energy inverters,
Does this indicate that IQ batteries are compatible with inverters other than ENPH micro inverters - ie not micro inverters?

The article suggests “Yes”?
“This development will enable more homeowners to connect their solar systems to an Enphase product and experience the reliability of the IQ Batteries.”

…snip…
“We are excited that Enphase engineers have approved the combination of the IQ Battery with third-party inverters,

We are excited that Germany is the first country in Europe where Enphase officially approved a retrofit storage solution with a third-party inverter,”

Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) battery chemistry

I imagine that traditional inverter companies have competing systems.

The 2nd LoThermdynamics energy losses in the conversions DC to AC back to DC may be so small as to be insignificant?

Solar panel efficiency is striving for better efficiencies though, and celebrate small gains in efficiency?

:alien:
ralph lives in an apartment, with NO plans to own a home on which I have control of decisions such as solar power systems.
I’m just curious. Curiosity is both a feature and a bug.

• has TSLA made OTA (Over The Air) a meme?

Thanks, Denny!

Your vision for solar and ENPH has helped me stay long with large position.

Sold a covered call, 1/2024 strike 350 @ 47.90

And, sold puts at open to replace shares sold <200 this year.

September 180 short put @12.20, for example.

Grazie,

HP

2 Likes

Your vision for solar and ENPH has helped me stay long with large position.

Thank you very much! I was just thinking that days like today make all the fear and dread of bear markets worth while. It took me a long time to trust myself enough not to sell out at bottoms. We really need to get our fight or flight instinct from the African Savannah days under control. This is a different jungle! LOL

About 25 years ago a buddy of mine and I were planning on sailing around the world. To do so we outfitted out my boat for long distance autonomy and prepared for all sorts of eventualities. Extra anchor chain and lots of rope to build a hoist to reach the top of the mast. Two auto-pilots, one electric and one wind operated. The electric one turned out to be crap. Extra batteries, solar panels and a wind generator were high on the list. Not knowing much about such installations I did quite a bit of research. Unfortunately my buddy died of cancer and the circumnavigation never happened. The unexpected benefit was that the exercise gave me a good understanding of the challenges and opportunities of renewable energy. An interesting factoid, on a clear night with a full moon in the tropics there is enough light to switch on the charge light of solar panels. Possibly the biggest advance since then is the shift from lead acid to lithium ion batteries which are the core facilitator of renewable energy by smoothing out its variability. It was Tesla’s September 2020 Battery Day that got me to invest in Tesla.

Denny Schlesinger

5 Likes

Solar has Crossed the Chasm and is here to stay!

Denny Schlesinger

Agreed. I think in a number of years, maybe only 5, solar, wind, etc will provide a surplus of energy needs. I think the investment question begins to lean towards energy storage to smooth out the load? The investment question I’m asking now is what is the dominate storage technology? Does it even exist yet?
NocollarTim

“I think in a number of years, maybe only 5, solar, wind, etc will provide a surplus of energy needs. I think the investment question begins to lean towards energy storage to smooth out the load? The investment question I’m asking now is what is the dominate storage technology? Does it even exist yet?”

Dream on.

Solar and wind today…

“The US achieved a new record in April 2022 – for the first time, the US generated 20% of its electricity from wind and solar power, according to new data released today from global energy think tank Ember.”

That is spring time, when wind power peaks (spring and fall)… and only 20%.

To reach your goal in 5 years, it would have to double, then double and even more. No way to make enough solar panels and wind machines and install them.

And of course, the sun doesn’t shine at night, there are no commercial 100 MW battery systems to keep things going all night long.

Not only would you have to double and double again, you’d have to double and double that to have enough spare energy during the day to store in yet to be invented storage technology to last at least 18 hours during winter with few hours of sunshine over the northern half of the USA… and don’t forget weeks of cloudy skies…

t.

2 Likes

Not only would you have to double and double again, you’d have to double and double that to have enough spare energy during the day to store in yet to be invented storage technology to last at least 18 hours during winter with few hours of sunshine over the northern half of the USA… and don’t forget weeks of cloudy skies…

They are shipping sunlight from the sahara to britain

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q…

The world’s longest subsea cable will send clean energy from Morocco to the UK

April 21, 2022, update: Subsea cable manufacturer XLCC is going to build a factory in Hunterston, Scotland, and its first output will be for the Xlinks Morocco-UK Power Project. It will supply four 2,361-mile-long (3,800 km) subsea cables, with the first phase between 2025-2027 connecting wind and solar power generated in Morocco to Alverdiscott, North Devon.

https://electrek.co/2022/04/21/the-worlds-longest-subsea-cab…

“If god wanted us to fly he would have given us wings.” The Wright brothers’ preacher uncle a few days before their first flight.

Denny Schlesinger

1 Like

Telegraph. I think your being to critical of my point. California and Texas too have both had moments of perfection where 100% of their energy needs were already met by wind and solar. MY POINT to clarify is to say that POSSIBLY in as soon as five years these 100% energy moments will reach a tipping point if you will, where it becomes ESSENTIAL to harvest the excesses because it will be useless to build systems that provide 300 or 400% of your needs if you can’t harvest the surpluses and spread them out over periods of night and calm.
Besides, don’t get hung up on a time frame. Maybe it’s 5 years or maybe it’s 10
The investment thesis stays the same. WHAT IS THE STORAGE TECHNOLOGY that goes best with that tipping point?
NCTim

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2022/05/02/for-the-first-time-in….

2 Likes

Agreed. I think in a number of years, maybe only 5, solar, wind, etc will provide a surplus of energy needs. I think the investment question begins to lean towards energy storage to smooth out the load? The investment question I’m asking now is what is the dominate storage technology? Does it even exist yet?

I think your timetable is over optimistic, it will take time, maybe decades to switch off fossil fuels. There are many alternatives to battery storage, specially for large scale projects like pumped hydro. The other alternative is long distance DC transmission but that is a technology that still needs a lot of development to make it economically viable.

I agree with telegraph that there are lots of hurdles. Where I disagree with telegraph is in the ability of humans to surmount these hurdles. Airplanes weighing tons fly and we have proof that the Moon is not made of green cheese, we have been there!

Denny Schlesinger

My grandmother didn’t have electricity, an elevator, or a telephone. Back in the day bakers baked the dough that housewives knead at home. She made lovely potato bread. Her kitchen was coal powered. And that was less than 100 years ago.

1 Like

We will develop many such storage options for excess peaking power. Obviously, everybody likes to get wrapped around the axle on power because base power =/= peaking power.

For peaking power in spring and fall, there are many such options to allow energy storage.

I have written about geothermal in the past on several posts, but it applies here also. using wind/solar power when grid demand is low (no heat or cooling required for most buildings in spring/fall) use that power to build up chilled water or hot water for use in the following season.

Seasonal energy storage will enable less of our peaks to go to waste while simultaneously lowering the threshold for max base load capacity installed.

Also, Go ENPH!

2 Likes