Erdogan is Gatekeeper to NATO Expansion

https://www.dw.com/en/nato-turkey-outlines-demands-on-finlan…

Turkey said it could back Sweden and Finland’s NATO bids if they stop supporting terrorists and lift export bans. Aspiring NATO bids require unanimous approval from existing members to join the alliance.

Speaking with Turkish reporters after a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Berlin, he said that Sweden and Finland must stop supporting terrorists in their countries, provide clear security guarantees and lift export bans on Turkey.

Eventually, for convenient reasons, Erdogan will exit power - I’d give it within 24 months or less.

Sweden and Finland “support terrorists”, aka Kurds? You mean like the US supported the Mujaheddin and the Contras, while invading Afghanistan and supporting the revolution in Libya, because those countries “harbored terrorists”?

In related news, Macron says France will support Sweden and Finland. France, like the UK, which recently established a mutual defense pact with Sweden and Finland, has nukes.

“Whoever would seek to test European solidarity by threatening or attacking their sovereignty, through whatever means, must be certain that France will stand shoulder to shoulder with Finland and Sweden,” Elysee said in a statement, adding that it “stands ready to increase its security and defense cooperation with both partners, including through high-level political consultations and enhanced military interactions.”

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2022/05/16/France-Fi…

Steve

1 Like

I heard something on the news in quick passing. There are 200 NATO votes for entry, it is expected Finland will get 180. I am not sure Turkey is an issue as the probably 20 or whatever votes. The 180 votes will get Finland in.

Turkey to block Sweden, Finland NATO bids
www.foxnews.com/world/turkey-sweden-finland-nato-no-vote
NATO’s expansion amid the most significant threat to Europe since World War II appears unlikely as Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan on Thursday reiterated his opposition to NATO membership for Sweden and Finland…Stockholm and Helsinki will need the green light from all 30-member nations, including Turkey, in order to get in with the security alliance.

DB2

1 Like

So they just become de facto members by signing mutual defense pacts with everyone except Turkey. I see nothing here beyond Erdogan trying to feed his ego.

2 Likes

So they just become de facto members by signing mutual defense pacts with everyone except Turkey. I see nothing here beyond Erdogan trying to feed his ego.

Turkey has a NATO AWACs FOB in Konya (Forward Operating Base) that brings in a lot of money for the country that could easily become redundant since there is a similar FOB at Aktion Greece.

https://awacs.nato.int/organisation/forward-operating-bases-…

https://awacs.nato.int/organisation/forward-operating-bases-…

I’m pretty sure they will work things out?

Tim

2 Likes

nothing here beyond Erdogan trying to feed his ego.

Oh, I see a LOT more than ego. Erdogan has screwed up royally and needs help in recovering his crashing economy.

david fb

2 Likes

Erdogan the dictator is making a completely ignorant point about his take on the Kurds. Ignorance does not need a blank check.

Again Finland is expected to gain 180 of the votes out of 200 and have entry.

Erdogan is likely using this to better his bargaining position to purchase F16s.

https://www.businessinsider.com/biden-turkey-arms-deal-repor…

2 Likes

Young Swedes say wait a minute. Could be that those who actually have to fight aren’t so supportive of NATO membership.
https://www.dw.com/en/why-some-young-swedes-remain-uneasy-ab…
While a majority of Swedes have voiced support for their country to join NATO amid the war in Ukraine, there are however many young people who are more hesitant.
Some even took to the streets of the Swedish capital this past weekend, condemning the loss of military neutrality as a step which would beget more violence in the world.

“For a lot of people, this decision is a big change because for all these years, many Swedes have seen themselves as voices which harbor peace around the world. But right now, I believe many feel the decision to join NATO has been a hasty one based on fear,” she said.

I’m waiting for Greta Thunberg pronouncement on joining NATO.

a step which would beget more violence in the world.

They clearly don’t understand that NATO is DEFENSIVE pact and has worked to reduce violence in the world. There is no history of aggressive action on the part of NATO. The authority simply doesn’t exist.

one based on fear,

Hell ya. I would be afraid too if I shared a 800 mile border with Russia. There were thousands of Ukrainians that didn’t fear either. Now many are homeless or dead. I would also be looking for a partner to protect me from the irrational country/leader next door.

Hawkwin
Who notes that Sweden sent troops to Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, etc. - all without being a part of NATO.

10 Likes

Sweden does not YET have an 800 mile border with Russia.

The young Swedes might also take into account how selfish their neutral stance is.

Meaning Hitler did not invade Sweden in WW II because Sweden has a very strong army. Sweden did not help anyone else because…fill in the blank…but one reason among the many pure selfishness. Let others die first. It is a type of stab in the back talking peace in Sweden’s case. Not entirely…the Swedes also have some good points on this topic.

The 800 mile border is of Russia with Finland, not Sweden. Sweden does not have nor is ever again likely to have any border with Russia.

Sweden was and remains a formidable power, the most populous and resource rich of the Nordic nations with a potent tradition of successful warfare from the time of the Vikings down through Gustavus Adolphus. Swedish disasters during the Napoleonic wars combined with Pietestic Lutheranism to move Swedish opinion towards an often self serving neutralism and pacifism, but always maintaining a potent military as well as independent munitions industries.

david fb

…Stockholm and Helsinki will need the green light from all 30-member nations, including Turkey, in order to get in with the security alliance.

Tru dat, but what’s the procedure for throwing a current NATO member out?

2 Likes

The West needs to learn how to bargain like the Middle East, like Erdogan.

Not every country is a lapdog to the imperialists.

The Captain

1 Like

We musn’t throw Turkey out, only Erdogan, and that is a process that will come soon as Turkish economy collapses from too many years of utter stupidity and corruption.

david fb

2 Likes

…Stockholm and Helsinki will need the green light from all 30-member nations, including Turkey, in order to get in with the security alliance.

Apparently, none. What could be done is dissolve the organization and form a new one without certain member(s). However, it would be a long and complicated process.

DB2