EV sales: Germany

Das Elektroauto säuft ab
The electric car is running out of fuel

Sales of electric cars continue to fall well short of the expectations set by politicians and are now even falling noticeably. According to the Federal Motor Transport Authority, 31,384 electric vehicles were newly registered in Germany in March, 28.9% fewer than in the same month last year. However, the different number of working days must be taken into account, which is why a look at the first quarter probably provides the better result. This shows a year-on-year decline of 14.1% from January to March. The share of electric cars in the total number of new registrations shrank to 11.9%.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

DB2

2 Likes

On a related note…

Germany’s transport minister is threatening to ban driving on weekends to meet climate goals if the ruling coalition does not pass reforms to the Climate Protection Act by July…

A reduction in traffic to help meet the climate goals would only be possible through measures that are difficult to communicate to the public, such as “comprehensive and indefinite driving bans on Saturdays and Sundays,” Wissing added…

“This claim is simply wrong,” Green parliamentary group leader Julia Verlinden told the German Press Agency, referring to Wissing’s threat of a weekend driving ban. She added that Wissing should not aggravate people unnecessarily because there are other ways to tackle climate issues, such as a speed limit.

DB2

1 Like

I think I heard it rose to 9% last year in the US.

That is major headway.

No profits are real unless they are lumpy.

1 Like

This would be anathema to many Germans. They are very proud of their autobahns. And the main reason EVs are being vilified, and becoming less popular in Germany is because the German auto industry (profit-wise almost entirely ICE) is a VERY strong lobbyist, one of the strongest in the country.

2 Likes

@MarkR Those are garbage stats. It is past the Christmas season car buying period. The first quarter is slower for EVs. EVs are special. Cars in general are less special and lower priced.

Christmas car gifts are special.

The 1Q does not determine the year.

This is like saying on the 14th hole I got a bogey. On the 15th hole I have no clue but I better pack it in and head to the clubhouse. @DrBob2 lives for data like that.

1 Like

No, they’re real. Germany discontinued its EV subsidy program at the end of December. Without the free money fewer people are interested in EVs. Makes sense.

DB2

2 Likes

It is only a simplistic snapshot.

It does not make sense because EV prices are dropping. The incentives probably are not necessary.

1 Like

From the above link, 1st quarter sales of EVs in Germany dropped 14% YoY. At the same time, total passenger automotive sales rose 4% YoY.

DB2

1 Like