First Rapid-Fire security update

Not as fast as the name implied to me, but not a typical update. The wait for the download was longer than normal – maybe 15 seconds. Download fast. Preparing update took about 100 seconds. I saw no verifying step - either absent or darned fast. Reboot took less than a normal boot from a turned off iPhone.

1 Like

I think “rapid fire” refers to the time Apple takes to issue a fix once a security problem is found, not to how long it takes to install. Fixes for my iPad Pro are usually painfully slow (10+ minutes, even for x.y.z releases). That said, your 2 minute iPad update for THIS particular fix seems pretty fast to me!

2 Likes

…although… osXDaily has this to say - Security Response Updates for MacOS 13.3.1, iOS 16.4.1, iPadOS 16.4.1 Released

The purpose of Rapid Security Response updates are to provide important security fixes for Apple system software, without having to issue an entire new version of iOS, iPadOS, or MacOS, and thus the updates should be smaller to download and quicker to install

So, both faster to be made available and faster to download and install. It’s win-win all around!

2 Likes

I appreciate the heads up, though my only Apple products are a phone and two pads. Updating the phone as I type.

After it counted down to 0 seconds remaining, it sat at that for a minute of more before it asked if I wanted to restart now. I thought it was pretty funny for it to reach zero, then take about as long again to get past zero. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks for the notification, I installed the update to my phone and no problems…doc

1 Like