Forwarding 1099s

Does anyone know if 1099s get forwarded due to a change of address?

My brother called Vanguard weeks ago to get a 1099 for my late father but they will only mail it to the address on record. We did set up mail forwarding but I know some documents won’t get forwarded and it wouldn’t shock me if this would be one of them.

All I can say is avoid Vanguard. Over the last few years they are nothing but trouble and with the only means to contact them is via phone (i.e., no offices) it is painful due to often long hold times, getting transferred from place to place, etc. At least my Fidelity experience has been better with phone calls and given direct extension numbers.

Thanks.

1 Like

I don’t think Vanguard is going to mail anything to any address except the one associated with the account. The post office has its own set of rules for mail forwarding. The forwarding does not happen for ever and it does not happen to every piece of mail. Check at USPS.com

My brother called Vanguard weeks ago to get a 1099 for my late father but they will only mail it to the address on record. We did set up mail forwarding but I know some documents won’t get forwarded and it wouldn’t shock me if this would be one of them.

Vanguard will mail the statements to a different address when they receive instructions from the legal representative of the Estate. They will require a copy of the appropriate court order appointing the executor (or whatever the term is in your jurisdiction) and will only respond to instructions from that person. It isn’t any different from if your brother called Vanguard while your father was alive and asked them to change the mailing address. They wouldn’t do it without instructions from the owner or other pre-authorized “manager” of the account.

Ira

4 Likes