Mail, kind of

I have never marked mail “deceased” for either my mother or my husband. My husband died 11 years ago and my mother a few years before that. I still have their last address. I am not home at the moment but I get a scan of mail from the USPS(this is a useful service that I was told about from someone I met through TMF).

It looks like there is a piece of mail from Hale vs State Farm to my husband. I am 90% sure it’s a check and have high hopes that my name might also be on the check. We had gotten checks from this class action suit awhile ago(pretty sure it was after he died). I think I might have one account that still has his name on it for no reason other than it just never got changed. The last time I may have photo deposited the check.

I googled Hale vs State Farm and it was kind of fascinating. It looks like they didn’t distribute all of the original award so anyone who claimed money originally will be getting something more. I may have a check for .50 waiting for me after I get back.

Depending on the time I have and the documentation that is reasonably easy, I do file for these things. It looks like that might have been in 2018.

To the original topic, I didn’t mark mail because much of it also had my name and I have no idea what would happen if I did. Also no idea what might get forwarded if I moved.

1 Like

I googled Hale vs State Farm and it was kind of fascinating. It looks like they didn’t distribute all of the original award so anyone who claimed money originally will be getting something more. I may have a check for .50 waiting for me after I get back.

Depending on the time I have and the documentation that is reasonably easy, I do file for these things. It looks like that might have been in 2018 - rad

======================

I received a similar check this week. The enclosure said I had already received $104.xx and this was the payout of the final $39.xx. So hopefully yours may be for more than .50 too.

1 Like

If you have moved, the post office will forward to your new address for a limited time. I think 1 year. After that first class mail gets returned to sender.

If yours gets returned to sender, it could end up in that states unclaimed property file. You would claim it there by showing you are his rightful heir.

If you suspect it got returned, you might try contacting the sender and see if adjustments can be made.

If yours gets returned to sender, it could end up in that states unclaimed property file. You would claim it there by showing you are his rightful heir.

Easy to say; harder to do. My sons both have their own money with the state and both consider it too much of a PITA to claim it. I have to agree. Colorado can keep the $60 they have from the Denver Post for my mother.

If you have moved, the post office will forward to your new address for a limited time. I think 1 year. After that first class mail gets returned to sender.

This is well known. The issue I was attempting to highlight is the things that are totally unknown.

Same - If you suspect it got returned, you might try contacting the sender and see if adjustments can be made.

And there’s also the issue of two different names on something if one person has been marked “deceased.”

For a deceased spouse, I would suspect it takes a death certificate and a marriage license. It gets more complicated if more heirs are involved. State law applies.

I had a small dividend check that went uncashed. (I suspect it was stolen but too small to cash.) The issuing company tracked me down about a decade later before turning it over to unclaimed property. I had moved several times. Not sure how they found me.

Anything can happen.

Best wishes and good luck.

The lawyers sending out the checks probably have detailed procedures for all sorts of situations. They probably have seen most of them.

1 Like

For a deceased spouse, I would suspect it takes a death certificate and a marriage license. It gets more complicated if more heirs are involved. State law applies.

I did mention specifically about my state, Colorado, and I have reviewed the requirements. But perhaps, this can help someone else.

You can extend the period of mail forwarding if you are willing to pay for it. $40 gets you the maximum 18 months on top of the default of one year.

Extended Mail Forwarding helps to ensure that customers receive all of their mail by allowing them to request an extension of their Change of Address request for a fee.

Extended Mail Forwarding provides customers the ability to extend the forwarding of their mail in six-, twelve-, or eighteen-month increments, not to exceed a total of eighteen months of extended forwarding time.

Extended Mail Forwarding is only available for permanent Change of Address. These extensions are in addition to the initial Change of Address forwarding time period of 12 months.

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Extended-Mail-Forwarding