Free space on external HDD

I tried to copy a 378 GB folder from my desktop computer to my external HDD. It said there was not enough room. So I checked the space on the external drive. It says used space 1.54 TB, free space 283 GB.
But there just didn’t seem like that much stuff on the drive. So I checked each of a few folders on that drive. Only one folder has much on it. It says 346 GB. The other folders have virtually nothing.
So what could be wrong here? Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Rick

Are you sure the HD is what it says it is?

B

Damn, this new Fool board doesn’t seem to be used like the old one. No answers to my post. Bummer. It used to be so good! Why do they always have to change what was already working?

2 Likes

Stats show 44 views. “Category” is still active but few seem to have answers for you (so far). We hope more continue to make the transition.

Hi RBMunkin,

If you are on Windoze or apple you might be running into the “Trash Can.”

You would need to look at the “un-delete” stuff on the disk.

When I mount a disk from a non-UNIX/Linux machine, I look for hidden files in the root directory with names like .trash, .trashcan, .trashfiles, .trashinfo, etc.

I just delete them and their contents and Voila, space again.

Does that help you?

Gene
All holdings and some statistics on my Fool profile page
https://community.fool.com/u/gdett2/activity (Click Expand)

4 Likes

You could, if you wanted, reformat the drive and try again. I think it is unlikely that there would be that much hidden files on there, though.

Razz

1 Like

Gene, brilliant! Thanks so much. That was it. I emptied the trash and it fixed the issue.
I love this board! I just have to get used to it. I can’t see where to find the other boards that I used to use on the old TMF boards.
Thanks again.
Rick

4 Likes

Great that you got it fixed. :slight_smile:

You can find the survivors listed under the Fool cap at the top left on your screen.

2 Likes