freezing fridge?

Our fridge has started freezing stuff. We had a glass bottle of juice (full), and it’s frozen solid. Broke the glass, too.

Faulty thermostat? Or something more simple? For a thermostat I’ll have service.

1poorguy

I’ve had this issue more than once. It hasn’t been the thermostat gone bad yet. First time it was a square bottle (cranberry juice) sitting right in front of the air vent that circulates the cold air coming from the compressor. Since the air didn’t circulate well it just went down the back wall and froze everything against it, meanwhile the thermostat never realized it was “at temperature” and kept running. Find the air vent, make sure it isn’t cruddy with whatever and not iced over.

The other time it was just that the temperature setting had been dialed all the way “cold” and it was just too damn cold. Turned it back up halfway (caution to other household members) and let it ride.

Good time to clean the coils, too.

There are other simple things to try:

https://www.whirlpool.com/blog/kitchen/food-freezes-in-refri…

5 Likes

It’s a Kenmore (made by LG). Bottom freezer. “Trio”.

The cold air is pumped up from behind. I have put a BBQ thermometer in there, and so far it says it’s at 40F (even though I have it set lower). Clearly it was 32F (or below) where the containers became blocks of ice (and burst), and in the veggie keepers where we’re getting some icing.

The setting is digital, and external. No dial inside. So it can’t have been bumped. I set the digital to 38F after this incident. I’ll probably reset it to 36F if I’m able to sort this out. There is no troubleshooting suggestion for a too-cold fridge compartment, just a too-warm one. So the manual was no help.

We do keep the fridge pretty full. 1poorlady cooks a lot, and our veggie keepers are usually jam-packed. She demands fresh ingredients. Freezer is full, too.

If the thermometer continues to say we’re over 40F, then I’m going to have to go with your suggestion (that it was somehow blocking the flow in the back).

1poorguy

Hi 1poorguy,

“We do keep the fridge pretty full. 1poorlady cooks a lot, and our veggie keepers are usually jam-packed. She demands fresh ingredients. Freezer is full, too.”

We had this issue a number of years ago with an Amana and found we just had too much stuff in it and the air was not circulating properly. It froze stuff near the inlet.

Solution was some re-arranging things and “cleaning” out some left-overs.

Does that help you?

Gene
All holdings and some statistics on my Fool profile page
http://my.fool.com/profile/gdett2/info.aspx

3 Likes

I find I have to adjust my temp setting summer to winter. They seem to vary. It could be frost. Or air circulation. Or where things are placed in the refrigerator.

We do keep the fridge pretty full. 1poorlady cooks a lot, and our veggie keepers are usually jam-packed. She demands fresh ingredients. Freezer is full, too. - 1PG

I believe we have the same refrigerator as you. We have to keep items about a 1/2 inch from the back wall or items will freeze.

Troy