Gundlach (Russia) vs Munger (China)

Given Russia investment favoring Gundlach’s clear criticisms of Charlie as to China, I had to keep score so far:

Munger 1; Gundlach 0.

4 Likes

I think the Russia situation might have decreased the possibility of China risking a war against Taiwan. The cost is too high.

11 Likes

Agreed, and the Chinese are sitting firmly on the fence and glancing towards the West.

Putin is looking increasingly isolated… we just need to keep his finger off that red button when he becomes desperate…he will fail but what destruction will he cause… that’s the big question.

Wind has changed direction?

https://app.gmdaily.cn/as/opened/n/f7831c179bff4317b0ef4261e…

Wind has changed direction?

https://app.gmdaily.cn/as/opened/n/f7831c179bff4317b0ef4261e…

Care to translate/decipher?

3 Likes

It’s from an official Chinese govt newspaper, published today. The article reviewed the historical great relations between US and China and called for better relations going forward. There is a lot of praises to the “wisdom” of past Chinese and American leaders for their efforts of building a good relationship.

Anyway, it’s a shocking article and is being circulated in wechat today. Seems a 180 degree turn

3 Likes

Thank you, sleepydragon01. That seems promising.

1 Like

Delusional. Unlike Russians, IF China decides enter into a war, they will be far more organized and Taiwan is small and they will take it over within a day or two.

Separately, Russia is inconsequential to corporate America, but China is entirely different. All they have to do is withdraw their trillion $$$ reserves and bankrupt America.

“Separately, Russia is inconsequential to corporate America, but China is entirely different. All they have to do is withdraw their trillion $$$ reserves and bankrupt America”

and go where with those reserves? two part of the equation.

If they could’ve, the would’ve

1 Like

“Separately, Russia is inconsequential to corporate America, but China is entirely different. All they have to do is withdraw their trillion $$$ reserves and bankrupt America”

and go where with those reserves? two part of the equation.

Go where the have been going. Into gold, for one thing. It is estimated that they have 20,000 tons already. In contrast, the USA claims to have about 8,100 tons, but this has not been audited in about 70 years, and some believe we have, essentially, none.

and go where with those reserves?

This is an interesting question. China attempted to use some of the $$$ to buy western assets and many of the deals ran into regulatory issues and got blocked. I have few ideas, but I am watching their actions.

If they could’ve, the would’ve

I think China believes, rightfully, the huge reserves gives them strategic advantage and leverage over US. If US were to create an environment where that implied leverage is violated, then you will see aggressive actions. They are trying various thinks and I believe they have potential to take at least $500 B out and deploy it.

US is spending $700 B plus on military, I assume at least $200 to $300 B in excess spending is in there. Reducing the defense budget by $250 B and using the proceeds to reduce China’s reserves will be far better for US security. Unfortunately on one hand you have drunken sailors who want to keep printing money like there is no tomorrow, rake up deficits, and on the other hand you have war mongers, who need one millionth nuke and need to “incentivize” billionaire to invest money in US.

No body really cares… I truly want to channel Chamath here… but…