Hey Captain

Do you think AMZN is going to sink the market Thursday?

Do you think AMZN is going to sink the market Thursday?

Don’t have a clue, up, down, or sideways. What’s happening Thursday?

AMZN P/E 44.55 - Down from high 22.6% - https://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/advchart/frames/frames.asp…

SHOP P/E 20.08 - Down from high 72.8% - https://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/advchart/frames/frames.asp…

Is SHOP becoming a buy?

Denny Schlesinger

2 Likes

Earnings for AMZN on Thursday. Will it be another Netflix?

Is SHOP becoming a buy?

I think so.

If comparing P/E to the market, SHOP is at or slightly below the SP500 right now. Yes.

I don’t think consumers won’t consume, and the move to online retail is still ongoing. Further, Shop is investing in ancillary trends in terms of international sales (Global E) and pay plans (Affirm). Not to mention creating a warehouse distribution system.

Finally, the latest Amazon direct competition news is likely to be less than material. Amazon doesn’t play well with others and in the next year or so, merchants without the unique product line or size to go it alone on the internet will choose or go back to Shopify as it will be the lesser of two evils for them.

T.

5 Likes

Earnings for AMZN on Thursday. Will it be another Netflix?

No. Not to get political but there is a serious backlash against woke, cancel culture, BLM, Disney, Twitter, Netflix, etc., etc., etc., etc. I don’t associate Amazon with that group despite Bezos owning the WP.

Denny Schlesinger

5 Likes

I didn’t realize Netflix problems were political.

I didn’t realize Netflix problems were political.

That’s what the media is reporting. Can’t tell how much is spin but apparently the content is full of this kind of material, the same kind of thing that parents were upset about in schools. The Disney case is clear cut as is Twitter. Netflix might not be but if it’s part of Hollywood…

Denny Schlesinger

2 Likes

I agree with Denny - there’s an anti-woke Backlash. Even the stupidest things are being politicized.

Here’s a RAZOR commercial, advertising to NOT buy Harry’s razors due to their woke posture, but rather to buy Jeremy’s razors, and be a REAL man.

https://youtu.be/s92UMJNjPIA

JFC!
I’m also seeing “regular” Black guy YouTubers highlighting Larry Elder and Thomas Sowell. And conservative Black talking heads, taking leadership positions on “news” desks.

Stay tuned. This divide promises to get worse.
I’d prefer that companies NOT “choose” sides, but, boycotts DO get the C-suite’s attention?

AMZN is the proverbial 1000 Lb gorilla.
I don’t own it, but, if I wanted a business that is likely to retain “value”, I’d certainly consider AMZN. Bezos has a “capitalist”, screw-everybody-for-a-buck reputation.

SHOP is similar: big dog in its space, entrenched. Doesn’t have the AMZN recognition, or AMZN’s ruthless reputation?

I buy from AMZN prime all the time. If I’ve ever gotten anything from SHOP, I don’t know/remember it.

NFLX has been kicking the “family and friends bootlegging the NFLX logins” can down the road for several years … I think the Backlash will be more due to that than to woke… but, there may well be a tarred with the woke brush stain, too.
At any rate, NFLX seems more likely to suffer than AMZN or SHOP. IMO of course. :thinking:

:alien:
ralph does NOT own AMZN or SHOP or NFLX.

I choose TSLA for the 1000 lb gorilla in my zoo.
For stability I choose NVDA, which is also a gorilla.

Deep fakes were used in the recent South Korean elections by the winner to explain his positions and AGAINST Ukraine’s Zelensky.
I don’t have a feel for whether any of the political and or anti-woke stuff is “truth” or not.
But, I do have distrust. LOLOLOLOL.

re: I don’t associate Amazon with that group despite Bezos owning the WP.

I do. Memories fade… Lest we forget they went full political with AWS deplatforming – destroying the likes of Parler to name just one.

For that reason I’m (mostly) done with Amazon as a customer. I only use them as a last resort and only where it’s likely to be a loss leader type thing for them.

2 Likes

I can’t hear you because I am standing in the middle of a corn field.

I was asked by email:

you ever sell puts on Tsla?
for some reason i like that better than cc
course it helps to be right!!

These are questions that should be asked on the board, not by email.

I’ve stopped selling puts many years ago because I don’t like the risk of having to pay for stuff at unexpected times. Covered calls are better for cash management.

Denny Schlesinger

4 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/28/tech/amazon-earnings-loss/ind…

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/28/tech/amazon-earnings-loss/ind…

GAAP is CRAP!

GAAP loss $3.8 B
RIVN loss $7.6 B

Real gain $3.8 B

Denny Schlesinger

4 Likes

rainphakir
I buy from AMZN prime all the time. If I’ve ever gotten anything from SHOP, I don’t know/remember it.

Ditto here. AMZN works good; returns, few, but when necessary, are effortless.

Question for the group: Can anyone articulate the specific reason(s) buyers use SHOP? Does SHOP have a clear edge / reason for buyers to use them vs AMZN?

(Other than folks who just want to poke their thumb in the eye of Amazon/Bezos?)

1 Like

Question for the group: Can anyone articulate the specific reason(s) buyers use SHOP? Does SHOP have a clear edge / reason for buyers to use them vs AMZN?

Good question. I don’t know. Is it relevant?

There are essentially two ways to shop online.

1.- Go to a know supplier
2.- Google the item

It would be interesting to know the proportions of the above.

All else being equal, I trust Amazon.

Denny Schlesinger

1 Like

I have noticed a number of SHOP sites, notably wineries. It provides them a way to have a store integrated with the rest of their website rather than having to run off somewhere else. On the whole, I have quite liked the ones using SHOP vs those who have done something else.

5 Likes

I have seen anywhere from 8-12% of online sales go through the Shopify platform.

In total $ sales, the Amazon is the giant, WalMart is very very distant second, and the aggregate of businesses / sellers using Shopify platform come in at third.

Shopify is not a destination for consumers, it’s the online selling platform chosen by businesses. You may not even notice if you are using the shopify platform when buying.

Here is a recent list of the biggest businesses using the Shopify platform.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/15-biggest-companies-shopify-…

And according to this site, here are the 5 biggest companies using Shopify, to include Budweiser, Pepsi, and … Tesla. https://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/5-biggest-companies-that-…

T. Allan

6 Likes

You may not even notice if you are using the shopify platform when buying.

These might well be Google search destinations as opposed to brand name recognition.

BTW, I didn’t realize such big businesses used the Shopify platform.

Here is irony for you, Amazon’s Whole Foods Market uses Shopify!

8. Whole Foods Market
Market value: $13.7 billion

Ranking 8th on the list of the 15 biggest companies that use Shopify is Whole Foods Market owned and operated by Amazon.com Inc (NASDAQ: AMZN). Headquartered in Austin, Texas, the company runs more than 350 supermarket chains that exclusively market natural and organic food and products in the US, UK, and Canada.

Denny Schlesinger

2 Likes