HohumYNWA Q1 preview

Still working on the details of how the self-managed portion of my port performed in Q1 2022.

With the three major stock market measuring bars, i.e. S&P 500 Index (SPY), Dow Jones Index (DJI), and Nasdaq Index (QQQ) all negative for Q1 2022, and my port in the positive column, then I do know that
I had a better 2022 YTD than the market.

Remember my Carpe Diem post?
If you don’t, no worries
This one –
https://discussion.fool.com/ot-2022-has-arrived-35014220.aspx

So, updating those four ideas here

• In a subsequent post, I had adjusted the brief data on Flex LNG (FLNG) and indicated the company had four vessels charted with Cheniere, but with an option for a fifth later in the year. And it became official on 4/1/22 (not an April Fools joke)
    https://seekingalpha.com/news/3819936-flex-lng-flies-high-as…
    FLNG: YTD (includes 4/1/22) +31.98%

• Brazilian Beer Bet Ambev (ABEV) seems to be working to my expectations. Well, actually ahead of my expectations. I think of the idea as a “tradeable” pick: 15-20% return, then sell. Wait for the idea
    to return to the buy area again ($2.75/sh-or lower). Repeat the process. Haven’t sold or trimmed yet. But, will likely sell at least a portion soon.
    ABEV: Through 3/31/22 +17.45%

• Renewable energy or psuedo-utility idea, Atlantica Infrastructure (AY). Idea for the long-term, stable side of the port. Nice divvie for while-you-wait moments
    AY: Through 3/31/22 -1.52% (But less negative of one factors in the div)

• The “dog” monitoring Cloud servers/applications (DDOG). Although DDOG started first trading day of 2022 lower, it would get worse and worse. Then, there was an abrupt turnabout. From late-Jan thru mid-Feb 2022, DDOG zooms 35% in the opposite direction. Then slumps again. Then runs backup again. This is one hyperactive “dog” :wink: One +, One - on DDOG trades in 2022. I need to understand this doggy a little better
    DDOG: YTD (includes 4/1/22) -6.31% (HohumYNWA’s DDOG trades net positive)

7 Likes

Well done!

Thanks for sharing.

Please do it again like you did at the new year!

(all I can knowingly suggest is Real Estate in places rich people will discover as attractive because somehow safe from travails of GCC (floods, fires, droughts, likely hordes of desperate refugees, …), has some “gimmick” like pretty views, nice beach 20 meters or so down below, golf, horses, unknown gourmet restaurants and craftsmen; and who knows what else…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFRSawe33sA

david fb

2 Likes

Will see what develops across the world markets.
But, my sense is I might recapture some of the excitement mid-year and assemble another mix of names.
Beer bet Ambev (ABEV) has been significantly “monetized” on 04/04 - 04/05. Could be a re-cycled idea by then.

And my massive ZIM dividend, sans 25% Israel withholding, arrived in two separate accounts yesterday. See a lot of opportunity when ZIM “disappoints” on the dividend payout for Q1 2022.

One +, One - on DDOG trades in 2022. I need to understand this doggy a little better

Saul’s board. :hugs:

2 Likes

With the three major stock market measuring bars, i.e. S&P 500 Index (SPY), Dow Jones Index (DJI), and Nasdaq Index (QQQ) all negative for Q1 2022, and my port in the positive column, then I do know that
I had a better 2022 YTD than the market.

With my high volatility portfolio I was underperforming the indexes YTD by a lot, at one point down more than 20%. When the market turned my portfolio recovered much faster than the indexes. By Friday (4/1/22) it was still in the red. Then on Monday it shot up 5% to reclaim Black Territory. On Tuesday it gave back 3.9% but still in Black Territory.

Sir Hillary and the Mountain: https://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/advchart/frames/frames.asp…

Trading the Volatility (TSLA)

October saw a crazy rise that was clearly not sustainable based on the 100,000 order by Hertz. November 2, take some profits at $1,142. A week later buy back these shares at $1,037.73. Lower cost basis by $20.67 from $275.64 to 254.97.

Not to bore Fools with the details, I did 5 more trades, one still not unwound (expect to sell at $1,170). These trades bring the cost basis down to $205.10. In more practical terms, these six round trip trades over 5 to 6 months paid for 3 months of ordinary expenses and I still have the same number of shares.

Don’t expect to get all your trades right. Of the last five three worked out great, On two occasions I bought too high. What to do? Sit on the shares until volatility bails you out! This last $1,170 trade is one of those.

The Captain
get your gear in shape to go mountaineering. LOL

3 Likes

@SpevCaster,

If I was itching to get my posts graded and/or yanked … sure, that’s the board to “learn” :wink:

1 Like