Hospital to stop delivering babies

https://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/1-coastal…

Fewer births means fewer birthing choices. Smaller family size, declining birth rate, and loss of population in rural areas.

1 Like

"Fewer births means fewer birthing choices. Smaller family size, declining birth rate, and loss of population in rural areas. "

What is the hospital going to do?
Tell ladies to go to an “Emergicare”?

Howie52
One would expect that most general practitioner doctors should be able to handle delivering a child.
Doctors are mainly there in case of problems and as a comfort factor for the mother and family.
Midwives are frequently all that a birthing requires.

2 Likes

What is the hospital going to do?
Tell ladies to go to an “Emergicare”?

Transfer them to the nearest hospital that does deliver babies.

Article says two other hospitals within abt 20 miles.

Yes, any physician can deliver a baby but malpractise insurance is no small item for an obstitrician. So of course economics require a steady flow of patients.

3 Likes

"Article says two other hospitals within abt 20 miles.

Yes, any physician can deliver a baby but malpractise insurance is no small item for an obstitrician. So of course economics require a steady flow of patients."

Frankly, having a hospital turn away a lady in labor would likely trigger a law-suit faster
than you can slap a baby’s bottom.

Howie52

1 Like

Frankly, having a hospital turn away a lady in labor would likely trigger a law-suit faster

Wait long enough and firefighters can deliver the baby in a 7-11 a couple of blocks away from a hospital with no obstetrics dept…

1 Like

What worries me is hospitals that no longer want to treat women who are mid-miscarriage because they fear the new draconian anti abortion laws. Not every birth is trouble free and simple. My twins could not have been delivered by a GP or fireman.

A woman in Ireland died because of their laws. They couldn’t treat her miscarriage because the baby still had a heartbeat as she was bleeding out. Left two kids and a husband behind. But the politicians and church were happy.

This idea that birth is easy is dangerous. Legislating medical care is dangerous. Removing medical care is dangerous. But if we can’t make a PROFIT from it, let them die I guess.

10 Likes

Howie52

Patient dumping frequently occurs especially to pregnant women with pregnancy complications that make the mistake of going to a Catholic hospital.

1 Like

A woman in Ireland died because of their laws. They couldn’t treat her miscarriage because the baby still had a heartbeat as she was bleeding out. Left two kids and a husband behind. But the politicians and church were happy.

If you’re referring to Savita Halappanavar, that narrative is misinformation. Ireland did not at the time have any law that would have prevented Halappanavar receiving life-saving care that endangered her pregnancy, and the Guidelines of the Irish Medical Council obligated doctors to do so.

What happened to Halappanavar was that her caregivers did not follow up on a blood test that showed she had an elevated white blood cell count, and she subsequently developed a complication with a fatality rate of 60% while her symptoms were being masked with painkillers. The hospital also failed to follow its own procedures re: checking the patient’s vital signs every four hours after rupture of membranes. The hospital did not perform an abortion because they believed delivery was imminent, not because of the presence of a heartbeat.

Whether an abortion could have saved Halappanavar’s life vs risking making the infection worse is also in dispute. The child was not the source of Halappanavar’s infection.

2 Likes

Whether an abortion could have saved Halappanavar’s life vs risking making the infection worse is also in dispute. The child was not the source of Halappanavar’s infection.

Nice attempted spin

1 Like

I’m not sure about my/my daughter’s life/health either. She was face-down (or face up? whichever is the wrong way-) and my OB needed to use forceps (or did his fingers cause those bruises on her face?). My son, OTOH, I probably could’ve delivered him by myself, except for cutting the cord and making sure the whole placenta was expelled. He was pretty easy (well, compared to DD!) to push out once I was fully dilated.