Housekeepers struggle as US hotels ditch daily..

{Nothing new here, back in the day I’d find cards on the dresser asking if it was OK for the maids to just remake the bed (without changing the sheets) due to whatever excuse they’d dreamed up. Since I was the only one sleeping on the bed I did’t mind.}

Housekeepers struggle as US hotels ditch daily room cleaning

Like many other hotels across the United States, the Hilton Hawaiian Village has done away with daily housekeeping service, making what was already one of the toughest jobs in the hospitality industry even more grueling.

Industry insiders say the move away from daily cleaning, which gained traction during the pandemic, is driven by customer preferences. But others say it has more to do with profit and has allowed hotels to cut the number of housekeepers at a time when many of the mostly immigrant women who take those jobs are still reeling from lost work during coronavirus shutdowns.

Many housekeepers still employed say their hours have been cut and they are being asked to do far more work in that time.

https://apnews.com/article/covid-health-travel-united-states…

3 Likes

Not to worry, in a few years Optimus, the humanoid TeslaBot, will do all those boring, arduous, or dangerous jobs. People will be free to enjoy their day in the Sun. My worry is how the heck are they going to pay for it with no jobs?

The Captain

3 Likes

Industry insiders say the move away from daily cleaning, which gained traction during the pandemic, is driven by customer preferences.

We never allowed daily cleaning when we were at hotels. We don’t change the sheets and towels daily at home, so why would we at a hotel? If we wanted them to come in, we removed the Do Not Disturb sign from the door. I once had to stay a month at a hotel. I let the maids come in weekly.

IP,
appreciating privacy

2 Likes

Housekeepers struggle as US hotels ditch daily room cleaning

A lot of that “room cleaning” was pretty sketchy. The “news” has repeatedly shown hidden camera video of housekeepers simply rinsing out the glasses in the bathroom, and leaving them for the next guest, while inspections of bed linen found various body fluids, though not in the quantity that the blankets had.

I guess the bags that they used to put clean hotel glasses in and the paper strap around the toilet seat that said “sanitized for your protection” cut into the “JCs” profit too much.

On the bright side, the out of work housekeepers can probably be working in a fast food place tomorrow.

Steve

On the bright side, the out of work housekeepers can probably be working in a fast food place tomorrow.
Unless there’s a mass movement away from junk food that causes the fast food industry to collapse. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Housekeeping and lawn care are two areas that hire immigrants who don’t speak English. Fast food usually requires language skills. Thats a step up the ladder.

Housekeeping and lawn care are two areas that hire immigrants who don’t speak English. Fast food usually requires language skills. Thats a step up the ladder.

The Arby’s I had lunch in yesterday (they sent me another sheet of coupons) could have used someone who spoke Spanish.

More broadly, the order takers generally need English language skills, but the burger flippers/Arby’s sandwich builders don’t talk to anyone. All they need to do is read the order on the screen at their station. I suspect “Big Mac” is the same in every language.

Steve

A lot of that “room cleaning” was pretty sketchy.

This is because hotel chains switched from hourly wage to per room renumeration for the mails. Major chains are not interested in clean rooms–just the appearance of clean rooms. The money saved on maid service goes to the bottom line & into job creator CEO pockets as performance bonus.

I suspect “Big Mac” is the same in every language.

In Russian it’s “Putin.” :wink:

The Captain

1 Like

I suspect “Big Mac” is the same in every language.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+say+big+mac+around+…

Back in the day one thing I found was that a “Big Mac” tasted the same everywhere.

Another thing I found was that if a town didn’t have a McDonald’s it wasn’t big enough to be worth stopping in.

I’d look for those Golden Arches atop tall poles before slowing down for a town’s offramp.

1 Like

The room rates…certainly didn’t go down.

IN the end, airlines, hotels, and cruise lines and others know - Americans - we are cattle.

Give an American Luke-warm food, overcharge him and make him wait in line for it- and then make sure he wolfs it down quick - – and he’ll be fine with it.

Of course amenities will go. Businesses would be silly not too.

Moooooooooooo

1 Like

Americans - we are cattle

No lasso required. Self cattled!

The Captain

1 Like

Yes. Cattle with personal responsibility and lovers of fronteerism and oodles of common sense :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure this needs to be a problem as there are plenty of jobs that need filling in hospitality. I work in the industry and across the board restaurants cannot find workers. Kitchen staff, front of the house staff, the lack of workers is hitting everyone. We now pay dishwashers 20.00 an hour and still have a tough time filling those jobs. Prep cooks can start at 22.00 an hour with no experience.

There are plenty of jobs out there, and many of them might pay more then what a housekeeper currently gets.

TMB

2 Likes