How do I pick the number of stocks in my portfol

How do I pick the number of positions in my portfolio.

“There are just a few things I might change now. I said that 25 to 28 stocks were the most you should try to keep track of, but I have cut that down now for myself to 10 to 17 or so. I currently have 12…”

Saul, over your investing career, which has been more traditional for you? Did you tend to be more concentrated and were experimenting with more positions over the last couple of years, or is more concentration a newer approach for you? Thanks!
Neil

Neil, that’s a heck of a good question and I had to think hard to answer it. Here are some answers: I think the number of stocks in my portfolio waxes and wanes according to a number of things that I will discuss below, but probably never EVER less than 10 or more than, say, 25 to 28. Okay, so what makes the difference?

A. If I have a number of stocks that I have strong convictions about I will tend to add additional funds to them instead of looking for new stocks, and I end up with a more concentrated portfolio.

B. When I have less conviction I will try out a lot of smaller positions in order to decide which ones to add to and make ongoing positions, and which ones were mistakes, and I can therefore eliminate.

C. Consider, for instance, if something were to happen and I were to have to exit my largest position (SWKS) now. That would be a big part of my total portfolio. I wouldn’t put that much into any one or two new stocks, nor would I add that much to existing positions. I’d probably have to reallocate the money to five or six smaller (3% to 4%) positions, and maybe one or two “put it on the radar” (1% to 2%) positions.

D. When the market tanks irrationally, I tend to reduce or eliminate the stalwart stable stocks that haven’t declined much, the WAB’s for instance, and reinvest the money in the great, fast growing stocks, which have declined a bunch with little or no reason except that the market is falling. This also tends to concentrate my portfolio. I might buy some of a new stock that has fallen in one of these panics, but it’s difficult emotionally to put money in an unfamiliar stock when there’s panic all around.

E. When I think my main stocks have gone up irrationally and are over extended, I tend to trim them and put the money in new “try-out” stocks. This increases my number of stocks. (This is similar to B).

F. Right now, I’m very content (which can always be an error). My three largest positions have an average PE under 25 and they are growing earnings at 83% per year. I only have three positions with PE’s over 30.5 and they have rates of growth of earnings that average over 100%. I have NONE with PE’s over 46! While this is a scenario A, it’s also, paradoxically, a little like scenario D above. I say this because, although the market hasn’t declined, my major stocks seem quite undervalued in relation to their growth, perhaps because they have advanced rapidly and are victims of price anchoring, perhaps, as with SWKS, because they have risen 100% in the past year, perhaps, as with SKX, because no one was taking them seriously, perhaps, like INBK, because they are small and considered unproven, perhaps, like BOFI, just because they are a bank. At any rate, as with scenario D, I have tended to add more to these already large positions, to the detriment of slower growing positions like POL and FB, which I eliminated, and WAB and CELG, which I have reduced somewhat.

I really like it better when I have fewer, but high conviction stocks. I’m more comfortable, and I can probably make more percentage gain for my portfolio with 12 positions than with 24. Fewer are easier to follow, and the chances of finding 12 that will average 30% gain (if you can find them), is MUCH better than the chances of finding 24 that will average 30% gain, and HUGELY better than your chances of finding 100 that will average 30% gain.

I hope that this helps.

Saul

For FAQ’s and Knowledgebase
please go to Post #7972

54 Likes

E. When I think my main stocks have gone up irrationally and are over extended, I tend to trim them and put the money in new “try-out” stocks. This increases my number of stocks.

I should specify that when this happens I also take some of the funds I’ve trimmed from the high flyers and put them back in the stable stalwarts like WAB.

Saul

2 Likes

E. When I think my main stocks have gone up irrationally and are over extended, I tend to trim them and put the money in new “try-out” stocks.

Saul,

Great post. I am interested to know your thoughts on AMBA as it relates to part E above. If I remember correctly (a big if) you got out once on valuation but then got back in. Every quarter it seems to run up into earnings and so far the business has performed well enough to justify. I have owned AMBA (2nd largest position now) since late 2013 and have been tempted a few times to trim but have held on because I think they have a great opportunity ahead of them still.

As always, I appreciate anything you are willing to share.

Thanks for all you do here.

Brian

3 Likes

E. When I think my main stocks have gone up irrationally and are over extended, I tend to trim them and put the money in new “try-out” stocks.

Saul, Great post. I am interested to know your thoughts on AMBA as it relates to part E above. If I remember correctly (a big if) you got out once on valuation but then got back in. Every quarter it seems to run up into earnings and so far the business has performed well enough to justify. I have owned AMBA (2nd largest position now) since late 2013 and have been tempted a few times to trim but have held on because I think they have a great opportunity ahead of them still. As always, I appreciate anything you are willing to share. Thanks for all you do here. Brian

Hi Brian, I did get scared out of AMBA a couple of times I think, but I feel that I’m in for the long term now (as long as it lasts, anyway). I took my current position 11 weeks ago at about $69.60. Then I got scared into reducing my position at $73.50 or so when Supernova reduced due to the insider selling and “customer concentration”, but I decided it was nonsense and bought it all back and more at an average price of $73. I have been adding rather than selling since then, adding some at $75.25 and a bit larger amount at about $79.50 a couple of weeks ago (I think it was when the Lily drone video came out). It closed Friday just over $90 and right now the PE is rather high at 45 but that will drop when the earnings come out in a week or so, and the quarterly earnings will be up over 100% year over year. So…I’m in, I guess.

Saul

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

Brian

Saul,
I think I remember reading that your stocks are held in a nontaxable account. If I am wrong, do you consider taxes in your transactions? I am self employed and sometimes have uneven income. This year has been good and I am thinking I should hold all stocks until next year because of tax consequences.

Htownrich

Saul, I think I remember reading that your stocks are held in a nontaxable account. If I am wrong, do you consider taxes in your transactions? I am self employed and sometimes have uneven income. This year has been good and I am thinking I should hold all stocks until next year because of tax consequences.

About 65% of our assets are in IRA’s of one form or another. In the other accounts, if I only have to hold for a month or so, I might delay a sale. Otherwise I don’t worry about it. It’s only the DIFFERENCE in rates between the long term rate and the short term that will be affected, and that only on the PROFIT, and not on the whole amount of the sale, and all that on the well LESS THAN HALF of my position that’s not in an IRA…

4 Likes